Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-24-2016, 01:17 PM - 1 Like   #46
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
We will see how it goes But you remark add a point: K3 is battle tested
Yes, I have made that point several times, and in fact, I fully expect a K-3ii followup by Photokina that will include the advances being pioneered in the K-70

KAF4 could become annoying.
Within hours of the KAF4 announcement we were hearing complaints here from those whose cameras are not KAF4 compliant, and the "petition" to extend KAF4 compliance https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/6-pentax-dslr-discussion/323221-petition-...eries-k50.html attracted a lot of traffic; maybe this was just because Pentaxians always seem to be happy to have something to complain about, but maybe not; maybe the KAF4 mount will eventually allow Pentax to compete on even ground with Canon.

High iso I'd hope they make great progress but I am a bit affraid that just the JPEG algorithm so no difference in lightroom/dxo.
If all it does is to deliver clean high-ISO JPEG images, that would be so great for those who want to take pictures in places like gyms but don't want to spend $$$$ on the constant wide-aperture lenses currently recommended and don't want to PP. If the K-70 does turn an average telephoto lens into an "indoors sports monster" {an American term implying very good at doing something, in this case, at taking pictures in indoor sports arenas}, then it will be a serious success, probably contributing more to Pentax than the K-1 ever could {because of the sheer volume of the market it would satisfy}

But the bottom line is that this is all speculation right now. Until some serious users have this camera in their hands and give meaningful feedback, we're just guessing and speculating.

07-24-2016, 03:46 PM   #47
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321;3721009i:
If the K-70 does turn an average telephoto lens into an "indoors sports monster"
Theoretically there 3.3 EV between f/5.6 on a K1/D5 and f/2.8 on a K70. In practice D5 is optimized for high iso and the difference is more than that more like 4-5EV. And even on such camera and the best lenses, this is challenging. So no... K70 doesn't even look like it use the latest BSI APSC Sony sensor found on the A6300 for that K70. We may get it for K3-II successor... Or not... That give something like 0.2-0.3EV on DxO score.

There far too much to do there... And by the way the new KAF4 lens has slower max apperture than the old 55-300.

Oh the JPEG may be better, maybe you even don't need to go through raw editing as often as before, and that would be nice if you don't use ligthroom as your standard, but that still mean you'd want a fast lens and would still struggle on a still subject indoor to get something that would look not too bad.

Last edited by Nicolas06; 07-24-2016 at 03:52 PM.
07-24-2016, 03:54 PM   #48
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Yeah, even BS you can't do properly anymore, geeez.
07-24-2016, 10:22 PM - 1 Like   #49
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I don't do a lot of sports but, having a fast AF just like most people here is most welcome. I've seen a video clip which was attached in one of the threads here and the AF of the K-70 seem fast using the 18-135. I hope the improvement in AF is something significant.

07-24-2016, 10:54 PM   #50
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by totsmuyco Quote
I don't do a lot of sports but, having a fast AF just like most people here is most welcome. I've seen a video clip which was attached in one of the threads here and the AF of the K-70 seem fast using the 18-135. I hope the improvement in AF is something significant.
It was fast and nice with K5, got decent AFC with K3... there was no case when 18-135 was bad at AF. But it doesn't benefit at all of KAF4. On the K70, the tracking and AFC may be good using live view, but go back to K5-II level when using the OVF.
07-25-2016, 08:14 AM - 1 Like   #51
Pentaxian

I will repeat again what I've already said:

(1) a thread about "unboxing" is not the appropriate place to discuss the fine details of how this product operates

(2) the bottom line is that this is all speculation right now. Until some serious users have this camera in their hands and give meaningful feedback, we're just guessing and speculating.
07-29-2016, 07:19 AM   #52
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I will repeat again what I've already said:

(1) a thread about "unboxing" is not the appropriate place to discuss the fine details of how this product operates

(2) the bottom line is that this is all speculation right now. Until some serious users have this camera in their hands and give meaningful feedback, we're just guessing and speculating.

Stop repeating yourself?

People like to speculate and guess, no harm done.

Eric

07-29-2016, 08:21 AM   #53
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by totsmuyco Quote
Just a query, do you guys think that Pentax will be manufacturing all new lenses using the KAF4 Mount? Are there feedbacks from testers on how fast is the AF on this lens? It would be great to know.
I doubt it. They have a large range of killer primes they probably won't redesign for KAF4 any time soon.
08-04-2016, 01:45 AM   #54
ogl
Banned

Continuous focusing in LV is in the manual of K-70...It seems to me...

But I found here that
Pentax K-70 First Impressions Review - Hands-On Tests | PentaxForums.com

The live view AF options are 100% unchanged compared to the K-S2. Continuous focusing has not been added, nor is there any setting/indication suggesting phase detection operation.

How could it be?
08-04-2016, 02:10 AM   #55

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
How could it be?
From the post you linked:
QuoteQuote:
While Pentax's contrast detection implementation in live view is quite good to begin with for real-world shooting, the K-70 certainly doesn't live up to the hype of an overhauled live view autofocus system. Perhaps the camera is in need of a firmware update or PLM lens to fully unleash its power; while we doubt this possibility, it is something that we will be investigating.

Read more at: Pentax K-70 First Impressions Review - Hands-On Tests | PentaxForums.com
From the last page of the manual:

"* Specifications and external dimensions are subject to change without notice."
08-04-2016, 04:51 AM   #56
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
From the post you linked:

From the last page of the manual:

"* Specifications and external dimensions are subject to change without notice."

Tracking in LV - isn't it Continuous focus?
Attached Images

Last edited by ogl; 08-04-2016 at 05:03 AM.
08-06-2016, 09:54 AM   #57
Pentaxian

So, any feedback from early adopters on this AF point ?