Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 138 Likes Search this Thread
08-06-2016, 01:05 PM   #31
Pentaxian

CIPA reports aren't "incomplete, self-reported surveys of retailers"; they are build upon reports from the manufacturers themselves.

Anyway, the Pentax brand having a minuscule market share, there is no immediate correlation between Pentax sales and the whole market.

08-06-2016, 01:06 PM   #32
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by HopelessTogger Quote
I read it and for Ricoh as a whole it looked like a disaster to me. Operating profit down 47.4%. Earnings per share attributable to owners of the parent-basic (yen) 6.58, down from 17.91.

Overseas sales down 14.1%. Countries dependent on manufacturing exports suffer when their currency appreciates.
RICOY Ricoh financials and price history from Yahoo! Finance.
08-06-2016, 01:18 PM   #33
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
CIPA reports aren't "incomplete, self-reported surveys of retailers"; they are build upon reports from the manufacturers themselves.

The manufacturers'data is pooled so brand identification isn't possible, though.

Bophoto could not have used CIPA statistics to prove his contention.

08-06-2016, 01:22 PM - 5 Likes   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Some months ago I got penalty points and my thread was closed for what later appeared to be the right analyses.
Hey Ron, don't worry about it...at least not until they give you your own category like they gave me....

We all go sideways once in a while...well, at least us "Rupert Types". We're not bad guys, we just get brain spasms every so often.

I have no dog in this fight...if there is a fight? I have a new K1 and am thrilled with it....and also love viewing the Theta shots. Glad to see Ricoh expanding our opportunities and being rewarded for it! It's about time someone put some life back into what Hoya sucked out!

Best Regards!

08-06-2016, 11:45 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Excelent post Rupert
08-07-2016, 12:57 AM   #36
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Will you kindly offer your citations of the actual DSLR shrinking that lead you to guess? (not BCN Rankings or CIPA sales reports please, or the like, which are incomplete, self-reported surveys of retailers).

It is the Financial Report of Ricoh, the parent company. Ricoh Imaging, maker of Ricoh and Pentax branded cameras, is consolidated under 'Other Operations'. The Report doesn't refer to Ricoh cameras as distinguished from Pentax cameras.
I donīt read statistics or financial reports, I respond to posts in this threads. The financial report are for Jan. to March, so K1 can be in where as Ricoh sales to importers. But that canīt be so many copys and except new lenses, K3 II and all the other cameras are "old", so no big sales where.
We all know that Dslr market are low since some years, but now Ricoh have a "good" Theta and WG-M2 that most be popular vs the old that dinīt get top points. So common sense say that Theta and WG-M2 ( and hopefully new products later) are making Ricoh imagine to grow now and in the future. If Ricoh going to invest in Q cameras that can be a hit too, Q is a good concept "without" competition in camera / lense size.

I dinīt say that Pentax DSLR are shrinking, i say " Guess Pentax DSLR are the same or shrinking". Hopefully Pentax are growing in the the future, but Pentax had cameras that are good and affordable for some years now but Pentax is not big yet. ...

Read mo.re at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/16-pentax-news-rumors/327271-ricoh-financ...#ixzz4Gd921wta
08-07-2016, 03:03 AM   #37
Pentaxian

Original Poster
In other words, your common sense says "anything but Pentax because PentaxIsDoomed"?

Last edited by Kunzite; 08-07-2016 at 03:16 AM.
08-07-2016, 03:39 AM   #38
Veteran Member

I assume you refers to my post, yes on the long term i think Pentax can be doomed. Hoya did the classical economic thing, putting down the employers to a minimum to get maximum profit. But thatīs that stupid in the time that many people want a DSLR and Hoya want to sale Pentax cameras/lenses section. Probably Ricoh get it cheap.
Now Ricoh Continued with Pentax DSLR and Ricoh compacts, theta and WG-M. But every new type of cameras (like theta) are a Richo and in future of 10 or 20 years thatīs only Ricoh left.
08-07-2016, 03:59 AM   #39
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Bophoto Quote
I assume you refers to my post, yes on the long term i think Pentax can be doomed. Hoya did the classical economic thing, putting down the employers to a minimum to get maximum profit. But thatīs that stupid in the time that many people want a DSLR and Hoya want to sale Pentax cameras/lenses section. Probably Ricoh get it cheap.
Now Ricoh Continued with Pentax DSLR and Ricoh compacts, theta and WG-M. But every new type of cameras (like theta) are a Richo and in future of 10 or 20 years thatīs only Ricoh left.
The thing is, you don't know anything.
08-07-2016, 04:08 AM   #40
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Wishful thinking
And your last post has nothing to do with the previous, where you were "guessing" that "Pentax DSLR are the same or shrinking". What are you basing this "guessing" on? My Pentax dealer observed an increase in demand, selling even high-end lenses like the D FA* 70-200. Of course, the Romanian market is insignificant, but things seems to be going in the right direction.
The thing is, Ricoh bought Pentax because their own camera division was going nowhere (sorry, Ricoh GXR fans!). With Pentax, they managed to turn it around, making it a profitable and growing business.

You are most likely right about the Theta growing, but then again, we have hints about that as well.
08-07-2016, 04:14 AM - 1 Like   #41

Very wild predictions based on very little data very far into the future. Predicting 10-20 years into the future often falls into the purview of seers and clairvoyants, especially without insider knowledge. Many make such predictions; the few who are right (even by chance) get to say "I told you so" and look real smart. We rarely hear about those who were wrong.

I'd actually be very interested if you produced additional data or insight to Ricoh specifically instead of general market sentiment.

TLDR;
High on wild, poorly based speculation, low on insight.
08-07-2016, 04:50 AM   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by fromunderthebridge Quote
Very wild predictions based on very little data very far into the future. Predicting 10-20 years into the future often falls into the purview of seers and clairvoyants, especially without insider knowledge. Many make such predictions; the few who are right (even by chance) get to say "I told you so" and look real smart. We rarely hear about those who were wrong.

I'd actually be very interested if you produced additional data or insight to Ricoh specifically instead of general market sentiment.

TLDR;
High on wild, poorly based speculation, low on insight.
"Very wild predictions based on very little data very far into the future."
Yes itīs speculation, but Ricoh only continues with Pentax brand with DSLR and Q. How long do you think DSLR exists? A DSLR are expensive and make the camera thicker, mirrorless are already cheaper.
08-07-2016, 05:31 AM - 1 Like   #43
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I predict that DSLR's will exist in 50 years (I don't do predictions longer than that).
Optical finders will not go out of fashion.
08-07-2016, 05:41 AM   #44
Veteran Member

Ten years ago I predicted that "Pentax is Doomed" would live in threads of various Forums forever! I was more right than anything I have read in this thread so far!

Regards!
08-07-2016, 08:31 AM   #45

"Very wild predictions based on very little data very far into the future."
Yes itīs speculation, but Ricoh only continues with Pentax brand with DSLR and Q. How long do you think DSLR exists? A DSLR are expensive and make the camera thicker, mirrorless are already cheaper.
Last time I checked Q is mirrorless. It is not much of a stretch to speculate that Ricoh may continue to use Pentax as ILC product branding. As such it is very possible for Pentax branding to outlive DSLRs even if they did die in the next 10-20 years (the likelihood of which is debatable).