Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 138 Likes Search this Thread
08-05-2016, 07:10 AM - 1 Like   #16
Banned

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I don't think people should pick on you, Ron, but you really flipped on Pentax. There was a time when you were shooting a lot and a big Pentax proponent, then at some point, you stopped shooting/posting and started generally disparaging Pentax's direction and cameras.

Fan boys aren't right in their universally rosy forecasts, but at the same time, those who constantly preach negativity with regard to Pentax products aren't correct either. Products like the K-1 have done well, there has been steady growth over time, and I don't see much negative at present.
This thread is about Ricoh's quarterly figures and I did not attend the discussion. Yet there where three posts that are about me. I read the figures and posted something about it in a different thread before this was online. I could read more into it and make an analyses, but who is interested, except for some people that dumbdown everything they read.

Some months ago I got penalty points and my thread was closed for what later appeared to be the right analyses. There is some more information in this report, but not understanding them is for some people a good way of living.

---------- Post added 05-08-16 at 16:13 ----------

But if you can get good shots with a K5 (he could), then surely you could as well with a K3 II or a K-1.
I did get good results with my K-5. Even standing next to someone with D4 and sometimes, I had "the image" and he didn't. It's just hard working. Today's photographer is much more lazy and wants a camera to do more on automatic and instant way.

08-05-2016, 07:27 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Yet there where three posts that are about me.
FTR, BigMackCam was not talking about you.

Anyway, people, could we keep this on-topic? Please?
08-05-2016, 07:56 AM - 3 Likes   #18
Veteran Member

I thought he sold all of his Pentax gear except for his K-01. He has posted various times about folks with i pads replacing real photographers on the side lines.

But if you can get good shots with a K5 (he could), then surely you could as well with a K3 II or a K-1.
Even I manage on occasion.

I gave Ron a "like" for his bullying comment, he's a nice bloke and doesn't deserve the flak he gets.
08-05-2016, 08:12 AM   #19
Veteran Member

I dunno. I didn't read through all the files, but the "financial highlights" suggests sales are down 9.5% for the second quarter of this year, compared to the second quarter last year. The forecasts through to next year look rosy, but then again, they are just forecasts.

08-05-2016, 08:32 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Original Poster
That's for the entire Ricoh Group. Ricoh Imaging is a tiny part of that; and actually they had increased income and profit:
QuoteQuote:
Sales in the Other segment increased by 6.7% as compared to the previous corresponding period, to Ĩ28.4 billion due to the increase in income
and profit in the Camera business
and Leasing business.
though we don't know how much (6.7% is, again, for a business group and not just for Ricoh Imaging).
This was despite the declining market and the negative impact of exchange rates.
08-05-2016, 08:34 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ontarian50 Quote
I dunno. I didn't read through all the files, but the "financial highlights" suggests sales are down 9.5% for the second quarter of this year, compared to the second quarter last year. The forecasts through to next year look rosy, but then again, they are just forecasts.
I read it and for Ricoh as a whole it looked like a disaster to me. Operating profit down 47.4%. Earnings per share attributable to owners of the parent-basic (yen) 6.58, down from 17.91.

Overseas sales down 14.1%. Countries dependent on manufacturing exports suffer when their currency appreciates.
08-05-2016, 08:56 AM - 1 Like   #22
JPT
Pentaxian

It's great news that the camera sales and profits are up, compared to other business sectors. It means that cameras will be considered as a more of a contributor to the bottom line and likely to be higher up Ricoh's list pf priorities for investment.

The only thing that concerns me is that we have been here before with a hit product, and then watched as Ricoh let the momentum fade by not releasing lenses quickly enough. I'm thinking about the 645z, but you could probably say the same about the Pentax Q and Ricoh GR. I just hope it's different this time with the K-1.

As for Ron, he is a fellow K-01 user and he shared that fantastic picture of the stampeding horses, so he is alright in my book. No need to be overly critical of anyone on these forums. We don't come here for aggravation; we come here for fun or inspiration, don't we?

---------- Post added 08-06-16 at 01:11 AM ----------

And I wouldn't be too concerned about Ricoh coping with the exchange rate. The Yen's status as a safe haven currency is a well-known risk factor for all Japanese companies. I'm sure they won't welcome it, but they will be prepared to deal with it.

Last edited by JPT; 08-05-2016 at 09:12 AM.
08-05-2016, 11:06 AM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
folks with i pads replacing real photographers on the side lines.
If your skill level is at the point to allow the above statement to ring true, you are in the wrong line of business. These are good numbers. If the numbers were up 25% we should all the concerned. If this statement puzzles you then take business 101 and you will.
08-06-2016, 12:19 AM - 8 Likes   #24
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I wonder how big of an effect the Theta had on the increase. It seems to really have taken off.
Theta is a great success,only one example.
Ricoh Pentax Japan sold 10.000 theta to google.
And various other companies are now theta user.
The 645Z and K-1 are a great success for Ricoh Pentax.
Also the new lens line,the sales are that high like the numbers of production.
Good job,well done.
Best regards
08-06-2016, 02:18 AM   #25
Pentaxian

It would be nice to see the number of units sold. Then we can see if there was an increase in the demand for cameras. As of now, we can only see that sales went down and so did cost and expenses which resulted to profits but of course it is much much lower.
08-06-2016, 05:19 AM   #26
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I'll quote them for the third time in this thread:
QuoteQuote:
Sales in the Other segment increased by 6.7% as compared to the previous corresponding period, to Ĩ28.4 billion due to the increase in income
and profit in the Camera business
and Leasing business.
What did you say? "Sales went down"? Can't be, probably I misread
08-06-2016, 06:01 AM   #27
Pentaxian

Yep, I stand corrected. I found the information in the segment review under "Others". Ricoh's camera sales is up and it's really good news.
08-06-2016, 12:35 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by totsmuyco Quote
Yep, I stand corrected. I found the information in the segment review under "Others". Ricoh's camera sales is up and it's really good news.
You say Ricoh cameras, thatīs true. I think itīs Theta and WG-M2 that are the "camera sales up". Guess Pentax DSLR are the same or shrinking.
08-06-2016, 12:55 PM - 1 Like   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Bophoto Quote
You say Ricoh cameras, thatīs true. I think itīs Theta and WG-M2 that are the "camera sales up". Guess Pentax DSLR are the same or shrinking.
Will you kindly offer your citations of the actual DSLR shrinking that lead you to guess? (not BCN Rankings or CIPA sales reports please, or the like, which are incomplete, self-reported surveys of retailers).

It is the Financial Report of Ricoh, the parent company. Ricoh Imaging, maker of Ricoh and Pentax branded cameras, is consolidated under 'Other Operations'. The Report doesn't refer to Ricoh cameras as distinguished from Pentax cameras.

Last edited by monochrome; 08-06-2016 at 01:01 PM.
08-06-2016, 12:58 PM   #30
Pentaxian

WG30 could indeed explain this altogether