Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 138 Likes Search this Thread
11-03-2016, 01:44 AM   #151
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Making up stuff and running away?
1. You don't have data for Ricoh Imaging, because Ricoh is not publishing any. There's only for the Other segment, which includes several other businesses (they even had an apparel business which they get rid of, not long ago)
2. For the entire Other group, sales in Q2 2017 were 28,506 million yen; for Q1 2017, 28,406 million yen.

11-03-2016, 01:54 AM   #152
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Making up stuff and running away?
1. You don't have data for Ricoh Imaging, because Ricoh is not publishing any. There's only for the Other segment, which includes several other businesses (they even had an apparel business which they get rid of, not long ago)
2. For the entire Other group, sales in Q2 2017 were 28,506 million yen; for Q1 2017, 28,406 million yen.
Trolls are *so* dull, Kunzite.

How do I give him a 'Dislike' with the forum software? :-)
11-03-2016, 02:53 AM   #153
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Trolls are *so* dull, Kunzite.

How do I give him a 'Dislike' with the forum software? :-)
That's an understatement.

Good question ^^
11-03-2016, 03:09 AM - 2 Likes   #154
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

C'mon, fellas - let's be nice and move on, eh?

Thanks

11-03-2016, 03:39 AM - 1 Like   #155
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
C'mon, fellas - let's be nice and move on, eh?

Thanks
Yep, good idea, Mike. I'm out.
11-03-2016, 03:59 AM - 1 Like   #156
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Well, there is no need to read financial reports. Last year was for Ricoh imaging lowest in terms of revenue and highest in terms of spending because of R&D expenses of the K1 being engineered. This year, the financial balance can only be much better than what was in the last two years of Ricoh camera business because there was no camera model that sold stronger than this year. What's important to know is beyond the financial report:
- are Ricoh going to use their current return to growing revenue and profit to bounced back or just record the profits and stand still?
- if they bounce forward, the big question is what they are going to do in terms of new products to continue the bounce after the K1?
11-03-2016, 12:18 PM   #157
Pentaxian

OK...I'm not a financier, a stock market speculator who can look at company financial reports and read between the lines....or even all that knowledgeable about how the camera retail sales market is doing. Not my forte, at all.

Maybe someone out there that has much more ability/skill than I have, can let me know in simple terms (so I can understand)...is Pentax paying their way within the huge Ricoh company, is Pentax in any danger of being shut down...etc.

I'm not a doomer and gloomer...I just want to try to figure out will I have an orphan camera line (Pentax) in a few years...or does everything ;look rosy at this time for Pentax to continue making and selling DSLR product ?

11-03-2016, 12:21 PM   #158
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Compare it to the previous quarter instead of one year ago and things look different.
This is recognized wordwide that comparison is done with the previous year to remove seasonality

To get relevant comparisons among quarters, you need to remove the seasonality part and the raw number don't work that well.
11-03-2016, 12:21 PM   #159
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Is Pentax in any danger of being shut down? The answer can be seen in Ricoh Imaging launching the FF DSLR and (re)starting a full line of lenses for it. It's no brainer.
11-03-2016, 12:31 PM - 1 Like   #160
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
OK...I'm not a financier, a stock market speculator who can look at company financial reports and read between the lines....or even all that knowledgeable about how the camera retail sales market is doing. Not my forte, at all.

Maybe someone out there that has much more ability/skill than I have, can let me know in simple terms (so I can understand)...is Pentax paying their way within the huge Ricoh company, is Pentax in any danger of being shut down...etc.
All indicators from Pentax are good. They explained they sold lot of lenses and bodies and K1 continue to sell particulary well.

I'm not a doomer and gloomer...I just want to try to figure out will I have an orphan camera line (Pentax) in a few years...or does everything ;look rosy at this time for Pentax to continue making and selling DSLR product ?
No one know the future for sure.. Maybe Pentax will disapear. Maybe you switch to Canon to avoid this and Canon camera line disapear. This could be as simple as Canon selling their camera activity because they think there no more money to make there, let's say to Sony and Sony shut down the mount after a few years. Or maybe you go Nikon and the company disapear is that difficult market because they are the only one not backed by a much bigger company. A smartphone company buy them for the patents and to get some lens expert for their own activity...

I don't say any of that would happen, but not long ago, Samsung decided to stop investing in photography. Anything can happen. The future is by definition quite uncertain.
11-03-2016, 12:49 PM   #161
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
All indicators from Pentax are good. They explained they sold lot of lenses and bodies and K1 continue to sell particulary well.

No one know the future for sure.. Maybe Pentax will disapear. Maybe you switch to Canon to avoid this and Canon camera line disapear. This could be as simple as Canon selling their camera activity because they think there no more money to make there, let's say to Sony and Sony shut down the mount after a few years. Or maybe you go Nikon and the company disapear is that difficult market because they are the only one not backed by a much bigger company. A smartphone company buy them for the patents and to get some lens expert for their own activity...

I don't say any of that would happen, but not long ago, Samsung decided to stop investing in photography. Anything can happen. The future is by definition quite uncertain.
Thanks Nicholas for the info. Much appreciated.
11-03-2016, 01:00 PM - 1 Like   #162
Banned

Photos: Gallery

I already adressed this in a reaction here. Last quarter was bad for the complete market with the quake. There is no reason to see this as a bigger thread to the industrie then that it was. There is no reason to think that Pentax is in any more danger then before this event. With 645Z, K-1, K-3ii, K-70, GR and Theta there is a strong portfolio for Ricoh-Imaging.

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
There are more things to read in reports published. ofcourse these numbers look great, since they are compared to the same financial periode last year. That was the low period for Pentax, due to not having the K-1 in portfolio.

Compared to the previous quarter it is different. The sales for the Other-segment to overseas areas, wich should be mainly camera, did get a dip. Sales went down from 4925 million yen down in Q1 to 3687 million yen in the last Q2. So the sales went down a lot, Q2 is only 2/3th of Q1.

Now is that a surprise or a problem?
I don't think so. In Q1 the K-1 was launched and had a good start with sales of camera's produced in that quarter, but also sales for the production that started in march 2016. The production was interrupted during that quarter due to the quake. In Q2 the production was mostly interrupted due to the quake and only partial (of the planned production) outcome of the factory on produced camera's was available for sales.

Let's see how the current quarter Q3 will run, since now there is almost no problem related to the quake.

Last edited by RonHendriks1966; 11-03-2016 at 01:06 PM.
11-03-2016, 01:13 PM   #163
Pentaxian

Thx Ron.
11-03-2016, 01:16 PM   #164
Pentaxian

We liked to read that
11-03-2016, 02:32 PM - 4 Likes   #165
Veteran Member

Now with the new facts and numbers of the business,I was facebooking and texting the last days with Pentax and Ricoh buddies,the result is completely a careful happiness in the photo unit.
I was texting with European and Japanese Pentax Ricoh stuff,which I know for years,some private.
Ricoh has a lot of new plans for next business year 17 and shows only a very positive reaction about the really big success of Theta and our Queen K-1
There is absolute no sign to be negative or to feel in danger.
Best regards from 3 with 3 dark beer,cheers

Last edited by asahi man; 11-03-2016 at 03:07 PM.