Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-18-2016, 07:36 AM   #76
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Nass Quote
@beholder3 I'm confused... unless I'm smoking the funny stuff it looks to me like the Zeiss outperforms the Tamron rather a lot at 20mm 2.8, just look at the corners
Well, I do not know how you would say that, as I would consider the Tamron corners to be a tiny bit sharper and significantly less distorted and much less vignetted, but:
The whole point of me pointing to images as proof is to give everyone the opportunity to make his own judgement. That removes the whole opinion piece. My opinion is irrelevant to you, if you can check the "data" yourself. And if you prefer the Zeiss - even if I find that surprising - that is the only thing that counts for your decisions. Maybe I do smoke the funny stuff.
We all want to make informed decisions and therefore access to images like these is key (we still have the massive impact of sample quality fluctuations).

10-18-2016, 07:59 AM   #77
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Yeah, I was just surprised you'd say that, that's all even looking at these images. I'd far rather have the one on the right. Unless I'm looking at totally the wrong ones, it just seems to me that the Tamron on the left isn't remotely as clean as the Zeiss. On 20 2.8, on my monitor the left hand top corner of the 1 of the 12, 14, 16 and 18 is just way way WAY cleaner on the Zeiss than the Tamron - there really just isn't any comparison at all...

Sure, agreed on copy variation

Last edited by Nass; 05-08-2017 at 08:20 AM.
10-18-2016, 08:45 AM   #78
Pentaxian

Yeah, I was just surprised you'd say that, that's all even looking at these images. I'd far rather have the one on the right. Unless I'm looking at totally the wrong ones, it just seems to me that the Tamron on the left isn't remotely as clean as the Zeiss. On 20 2.8, on my monitor the left hand top corner of the 1 of the 12, 14, 16 and 18 is just way way WAY cleaner on the Zeiss than the Tamron - there really just isn't any comparison at all...

Sure, agreed on copy variation
I wonder what you are looking at. Your screenshots show complete "1" but I see only 1's with cut off foot for the corner comparison shot.

Do you look at this link here: Tamron 15-30mm f/2.8 Di VC USD Lens Image Quality ?
10-18-2016, 08:52 AM   #79
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
I wonder what you are looking at. Your screenshots show complete "1" but I see only 1's with cut off foot for the corner comparison shot.

Do you look at this link here: Tamron 15-30mm f/2.8 Di VC USD Lens Image Quality ?
Same thing - foot is cut off on mine too

10-18-2016, 11:27 AM   #80
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just a word from one Finnish guy. Not to say that I'm completelly in MJkoski camp, BUT! I n Finland we are quite strickt and honest with our outcome, I'v faced it many times too. I can read his sentenses quite different way, and all in all it is wether people likes it or not. It is true in what he has seen, for him. Now it is completelly everyones own responsibility how to take it.

I cannot disagree, and will not, he admits that there can be found working 15-30 and it can be good quality, says that one of best 20 mm lenses is zeiss 21/2.8. Also he says a lot of different things but that is what it is. Besides that he comes from Oulu as seen on his status...and people from Oulu have good reputation of being cheerful and happy. Troll, don't think so. Stuborn Finn..yes.
10-18-2016, 11:33 AM   #81
Pentaxian

Same thing - foot is cut off on mine too
I think I get what you did. That seem to be 4 images pasted together, right? I expected it to be two and couldn't find that.

Whatever I still see the Zeiss being soft, poor contrast, bad vignette, bad distortion compared to the Tamron/Pentax.

For a ridiculously overpriced only manual prime that is a disaster. It has to perform much, much better to be able compete. But hey, you are free to buy it.
10-18-2016, 11:34 AM   #82
Site Supporter

I'm anxious to see some reviews of the 20mm from astrophotographers. I have the 14/2.8 and am very interested in adding either the Samyang 20 or 24 for mainly astrophotography purposes. I know the 24 is very highly regarded, but if the 20 is equally good at star photos, I think I'd rather have that focal length.
10-18-2016, 11:35 AM   #83
Veteran Member

Oulu would be wrong. Dang. I have missed location setting. It has been Helsinki for few years. But yes, I am picky and that comes from daily profession where I design and evaluate user interfaces & usability of different products. Each week someone comes and says straight to your face this screen here or there sucks and something should be done to make it better. It follows directly that I see wasted opportunities in quite many products and ideas how to fix them.

10-18-2016, 11:45 AM   #84
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
I think I get what you did. That seem to be 4 images pasted together, right? I expected it to be two and couldn't find that.

Whatever I still see the Zeiss being soft, poor contrast, bad vignette, bad distortion compared to the Tamron/Pentax.

For a ridiculously overpriced only manual prime that is a disaster. It has to perform much, much better to be able compete. But hey, you are free to buy it.
Yeah 4 . Let's agree to disagree. Looks way better to me. But hey, vive la difference
10-18-2016, 02:19 PM   #85
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MJKoski Quote
Oulu would be wrong. Dang. I have missed location setting. It has been Helsinki for few years. But yes, I am picky and that comes from daily profession where I design and evaluate user interfaces & usability of different products. Each week someone comes and says straight to your face this screen here or there sucks and something should be done to make it better. It follows directly that I see wasted opportunities in quite many products and ideas how to fix them.
At helsinki...that explains a lot :P

I did not know what you do, but I could see that you have quite finnish way of saying stuff..it is quite similar, and recogniseable in most threads you have written in(what I have seen, not following too much). Just wanted to kind a step in, english is not our native language, and so also most manners familiar to most english speaking people, like use of word 'please' just as one example, is not part of how finns speak/write...mostly, there are some exeptions..well anyway.

Hope that this little helps..
10-19-2016, 07:40 AM   #86
Forum Member

There is already a review out
Gippsland Images. Photography by Daniel Gangur | REVIEW - SAMYANG 20mm f1.8 ED AS UMC Wide Angle Lens.
10-29-2016, 03:31 AM   #87

Anyone actually heard when this lens will be available for purchase?
10-29-2016, 04:20 AM   #88
Veteran Member

It is available in Scandinavia at the moment. Here is one shop in Finland selling it: Samyang 20mm F1.8 ED AS UMC (Pentax K) | Telefoto

Dunno if it says anything to you due to language barrier but it is available with 3-5 day delay from order.
10-29-2016, 06:56 AM   #89

thanks for the link. Looks as though the price is set in as promised. Odd that it is selling in Scandinavia and not anywhere else in Europe
10-29-2016, 07:40 AM   #90
Forum Member

In Germany it is available too, but not for the Pentax Mount yet. I asked the german distributer via Facebook (Link) and they said you can already order it.