Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
08-30-2016, 09:40 AM   #31
Banned

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by afan137 Quote
That Verstappen video is really cool. So the GoPro is equipped with sensor to measure the speed, and etc ?
I guess Ricoh Theta need something not only 4K video, but also some nice features such us GoPro
No idea how that works, or that it is post processing, but Theta needs to make some big steps.

08-30-2016, 10:10 AM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That Verstappen video is really cool. So the GoPro is equipped with sensor to measure the speed, and etc ?
I guess Ricoh Theta need something not only 4K video, but also some nice features such us GoPro
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
No idea how that works, or that it is post processing, but Theta needs to make some big steps.
What "big steps" does Theta have to make in order to compete with GoPro??
08-30-2016, 10:38 AM   #33
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
What "big steps" does Theta have to make in order to compete with GoPro??
Mostly image quality, connectivity and live streaming. Probably that makes a very new camera.
08-30-2016, 10:58 AM - 1 Like   #34
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Erictator Quote
Everyone, including big business looks at trends. But, what if the trend is misread? What if people are NOT abandoning DSLR, but just keeping them longer and supplimenting them with cell phones as the current point and shoot option?

Technology advances in IQ have slowed, we just get more pixels and gimmicks mostly. (No absolutes used here) Picture a market wherr people keep their DSLR body for 3 or 4yrs, instead of jumping at the new releases. For a camera maker who wants to stay in the market and still sell on the new sales cycle, they would need to change their long term strategy, and cut back on side show products. The big 3 are so top heavy and dependant on the fast refresh sales cycle that Ricoh might actually be able to outlast them by staying lean and mean, and be the last one standing. Who knows?

FWIW, the computer industry is going through much the same issues right now.
True and even point and shoots are being kept longer. Why would most people buy a new camera if their existing one is more than good enough for all their needs. Not everyone needs to be able to capture a black cat in a coal bin and catch it in mid flight and record it at 60 fps at 4K video.

I might replace my WGIII if the new one shot RAW but not sure of that even. I am still more than satisfied with the K5IIs and I just do not shoot it enough to warrant replacing it yet. I think that I am more in line with the average camera owner than those who rushed out to buy the K1 or to upgrade to the K70. For a lot of us it is no longer the camera that needs to be better to get better photos.

But you might just ignore me as well as I still shoot film as well and do not own a cell phone.

08-30-2016, 11:36 AM   #35
Pentaxian

Mostly image quality, connectivity and live streaming. Probably that makes a very new camera.
I'm not sure what these terms mean in this context.

Are you saying that GoPro currently has better IQ?
What kind of measure are you applying here?

What kind of connectivity does GoPro provide that Theta doesn't?

Is "live streaming" connected to "connectivity?
What particular capability does GoPro provide that Theta doesn't?

And finally, the most important questions:

(1) Why is it important for Ricoh Pentax to have a product superior to every other product in the market?

(2) GoPro has reported that they have a drone under development.
Are you going to claim next that Ricoh needs a flying camera or else they are dooooooooooooooooomed?
08-30-2016, 01:02 PM   #36
Pentaxian

But, reh321, don't you know Pentax is dooooommmmmeeeeeeddddd.....?
08-30-2016, 01:16 PM   #37
Banned

Original Poster
The market for 360 is still developing. Probably it is just in it's childhood. For that Theta is actually a great offering. But that market is also developing very fast. If you want to be in it, you have to run fast.

GoPro
https://shop.gopro.com/EMEA/virtualreality/

08-30-2016, 05:03 PM   #38
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I'd like an upgraded W60, please...

I don't mind skipping a few generations now and then... in DSLRs I went K10, K01, K1, and I only bought the K01 because it was such a deal.
So I guess in SLRs, the next model will be the K0.1 for me?

In all seriousness, I hope the WG line isn't dead, and I hope Ricoh revives it to be competitive.
My daughter (now 3) likes to play with my W60.
At some point, she'll likely kill it, and I'll need something else that's small, abuse-proof, and does nice stills, with an optical zoom and real stabilization.
That combo doesn't currently exist in the action cams...

I'd also like 4k...

But if Ricoh doesn't do it, Olympus probably will... I'd just rather Ricoh did it...

-Eric
08-30-2016, 11:06 PM   #39
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
I don't mind skipping a few generations now and then... in DSLRs I went K10, K01, K1, and I only bought the K01 because it was such a deal.
So I guess in SLRs, the next model will be the K0.1 for me?

In all seriousness, I hope the WG line isn't dead, and I hope Ricoh revives it to be competitive.
At some point, she'll likely kill it, and I'll need something else that's small, abuse-proof, and does nice stills, with an optical zoom and real stabilization.

I'd also like 4k...

But if Ricoh doesn't do it, Olympus probably will... I'd just rather Ricoh did it...

-Eric
For half the price you can get a Nikon S33 or Panasonic FT30. If Kids break them, it doesn't hurt as much in their parents wallets. I don't think Ricoh should compete at this price level, but reality means that you can't win from this when it comes to cheapest offers.
08-31-2016, 01:00 AM   #40
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
My 10,5 year old W10 still works and I still sometimes take it swimming or snorkeling. At its time it was a marvel, its understatement design didn't signal at all that it was a sturdy under water camera. I took it swimming and people would stare at me and say "you... you know you're holding your camera in your hand, right?".

But I haven't renewed the waterproof seals in 7 or 8 years, so at some point now it will of course die. And then I'd like a really *good* replacement, and it doesn't look like Pentax will offer that any time soon :-(
09-01-2016, 12:52 AM   #41
Banned

Original Poster
Cipa figures for juli.

http://www.cipa.jp/stats/documents/e/d-201607_e.pdf

Looking at point and shoot. That is a marginal market at the moment. In juli sales where less then 30 % compared to the same month of 2014. And dropping as fast you can get dizzy.

Maybe Ricoh should overthink being in that market at all. We will see soon enough. The market for their present offerings is getting marginal. Making money with them is not easy.
09-01-2016, 05:15 AM   #42

Cipa figures for juli.

http://www.cipa.jp/stats/documents/e/d-201607_e.pdf

Looking at point and shoot. That is a marginal market at the moment. In juli sales where less then 30 % compared to the same month of 2014. And dropping as fast you can get dizzy.

Maybe Ricoh should overthink being in that market at all. We will see soon enough. The market for their present offerings is getting marginal. Making money with them is not easy.
Maybe there is the other way around, insted of running away from that market, how about just make more intersting product, more appealing, more premium maybe?
It is very well understood why P&S is declining. Smartphone is getting better, and as the photography tool, it is more than enough.

The way the company make money is not by leaving the market, but how to create market itself. Well, if the company always follow the logic like: "... this market is declining, that market is declining,... , okay let's find the exit door..." maybe then that company need to fire their business development manager, and the head of marketing too.

What Pentax need to do, just step by step offering solid products, with interesting features. See panasonic with LX100, or their 1' sensor. Also Nikon with DL, Sony Also have, Canon too. They seem confident with their product. And Pentax has no reason to be leaving the market soon.
09-02-2016, 06:48 AM   #43
Banned

Original Poster
I think that basicly that would be it. I think that there isn't much market for a heavy magnesium-alloy aps-c model like K-3ii between K-1 and the lower tier now K-70. Just the K-70 is to much old tech with af-module from K-5ii and metering from K-7. Pentax doesn't fill mass market, so offering anything for hi volume sales would fail. K-70 is to expensive for what it is.
Coming back on this. From the review on shutter bug.

QuoteQuote:
Cons
- AF system nearly on same level as found in “beginner” SLRs
Read more at Pentax K-70 DSLR Review | Shutterbug

This does confirm my feeling to this. It's 2016 and in general we expect more from a camera.
11-29-2016, 07:01 AM   #44
Banned

Original Poster
Only the wg-m1 and wg-m2 are in the official ricoh-imaging shop.

http://shop-fr.ricoh-imaging.eu/appareils-photo/compacts-numeriques.html

So I guess the snorkel-series are historie (as is q).

---------- Post added 29-11-16 at 15:04 ----------

Maybe there is the other way around, insted of running away from that market, how about just make more intersting product, more appealing, more premium maybe?
This is done by another company, making a diving camera with the 1" sensor. Ricoh-Imaging didn't invest in this series in the past 5 years.

https://www.dpreview.com/news/2733827061/sealife-dc2000-underwater-camera-sp...ny-cmos-sensor
11-30-2016, 06:43 AM   #45

Only the wg-m1 and wg-m2 are in the official ricoh-imaging shop.

http://shop-fr.ricoh-imaging.eu/appareils-photo/compacts-numeriques.html

So I guess the snorkel-series are historie (as is q).

---------- Post added 29-11-16 at 15:04 ----------

This is done by another company, making a diving camera with the 1" sensor. Ricoh-Imaging didn't invest in this series in the past 5 years.

https://www.dpreview.com/news/2733827061/sealife-dc2000-underwater-camera-sp...ny-cmos-sensor
Thanks for the link. That is fantastic product, but the price is really expensive. Ricoh seems to be either very careful, or being pesimistic about the market.