Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-29-2016, 01:24 AM   #1
Banned

Photos: Gallery
Ricoh WG-series (series of wg-5) history?

I think we missed something because we were all busy with K-1 and Q. The Ricoh WG-series is already overdue for an upgrade. Only the WG-5 GPS is in the collection at the moment. This is just a rehashed #4 or #3 of the series. Introduced in februari 2015 and was on a yearly upgrade.

So either it is late. Maybe it will come on Photokina. Or maybe there will be no new model.

Looking at sales for compact camera's and the fact that the Ricoh WG-series was already a little under performing camera series compared to the competition, I would say that we don't see any new model.

Cipa for the first 6 months of 2016.
http://www.cipa.jp/stats/documents/e/d-201606_e.pdf

(This is not about wg-m series. They are overhere in the action camera section. I don't think they sell well since they are not unique, not from a big Brand and not cheap.)

Last edited by RonHendriks1966; 08-29-2016 at 07:06 AM.
08-29-2016, 01:56 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The WG-M2 was announced earlier this year. It's not much of a performer, though (review coming next week!).

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-29-2016, 03:09 AM   #3
Pentaxian

e-photozine did a review on it: Ricoh WG-M2 Review
08-29-2016, 05:05 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
I think we missed something because we were all busy with K-1 and Q. The Ricoh WG-series is already overdue for an upgrade. Only the WG-5 GPS is in the collection at the moment. This is just a rehashed #4 or #3 of the series. Introduced in februari 2015 and was on a yearly upgrade.

So either it is late. Maybe it will come on Photokina. Or maybe there will be no new model.

Looking at sales for compact camera's and the fact that the Ricoh WG-series was already a little under performing camera series compared to the competition, I would say that we don't see any new model.

Cipa for the first 6 months of 2016.
http://www.cipa.jp/stats/documents/e/d-201606_e.pdf
I'm not convinced there is much compact camera market left - not a whole lot they can offer to compete with the cell phones everyone already have.

08-29-2016, 05:38 AM   #5
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The WG-M2 was announced earlier this year. It's not much of a performer, though (review coming next week!).
I forgot the wg-m this morning. Those are in the action camera series overhere. I was only talking about wg-5 series.
08-29-2016, 09:01 AM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I forgot the wg-m this morning. Those are in the action camera series overhere. I was only talking about wg-5 series.
Seems dead to me...they've released the same model 3 times in a row now. Guess we'll have to wait and see!

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-29-2016, 09:33 AM   #7
Banned

Original Poster
Seems dead to me...they've released the same model 3 times in a row now. Guess we'll have to wait and see!
According to them gxr is a current model. So as long as they have some left over boxes in a warehouse they count it as a current model.

The jubileum Edition of K-3ii Silver and GR to celebrate 80 years of Ricoh don't seem to sell either. Still in stock overhere. The Ricoh Theta 360 in 4 colors is on discount, so that model is going out. A new version for Theta next to the S-model is to be expected I think.

The model catalogue for Ricoh-Imaging needs to be shaken down to less models.

08-29-2016, 09:46 AM   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

According to them gxr is a current model. So as long as they have some left over boxes in a warehouse they count it as a current model.

The jubileum Edition of K-3ii Silver and GR to celebrate 80 years of Ricoh don't seem to sell either. Still in stock overhere. The Ricoh Theta 360 in 4 colors is on discount, so that model is going out. A new version for Theta next to the S-model is to be expected I think.

The model catalogue for Ricoh-Imaging needs to be shaken down to less models.
Yeah, I think a new Theta is inevitable this year. The Theta line is selling too well for there to be stagnation

The limited edition models are still available in the US too. Frankly, if there's a special silver edition of every single model, they stop feeling special at all...

But the GXR is definitely out, I think the last time we saw that as a current model was 2012.

Adam

08-29-2016, 10:13 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Theta is going 4k. Samsung is already there and Ricoh has to keep up. 1 tough camera is enough, 1 action camera too. The x-g1 is discontinued. That will be the end of Pentax mainstream compacts. The WG-40 is also not on the discontinued list.
?? | RICOH IMAGING But the K-s1 isn't either....
08-29-2016, 10:42 AM   #10
Banned

Original Poster
Gxr with 24-72mm is still to order in Japan. That is with 10mp ccd sensor. It offers 30p VGA video output.

No idea what can be sold in the future, but concentrate on less models would be smart.
- K-mount full frame, one model (K-1)
- K-mount aps-c, one model (light weight model, but more advanced then K-70)
- 645 mount, one model.
- P&S when there is a market for GR (update with 24mp)
- Theta line, more models, each one for consumer, prosumer and professional.

I think that basicly that would be it. I think that there isn't much market for a heavy magnesium-alloy aps-c model like K-3ii between K-1 and the lower tier now K-70. Just the K-70 is to much old tech with af-module from K-5ii and metering from K-7. Pentax doesn't fill mass market, so offering anything for hi volume sales would fail. K-70 is to expensive for what it is.
08-29-2016, 10:47 AM   #11
Administrator
Site Webmaster

K-70 is to expensive for what it is.
Not sure about EU pricing, but in the US it's competitive. The K-S2 was launched for $100 more just a year ago...and now the K-S2 is only $499, which is a steal by comparison.

Adam

08-29-2016, 10:52 AM   #12
Banned

Original Poster
Not sure about EU pricing, but in the US it's competitive. The K-S2 was launched for $100 more just a year ago...and now the K-S2 is only $499, which is a steal by comparison.
Currently in shops.

K-50 with 18-135mm lens for 649 euro.
K-S2 with 18-135mm lens for 799 euro.
K-70 with 18-135mm lens for 999 euro.
K-3ii with 18-135mm lens for 1299 euro.

People are not crazy. This was a problem for Nikon for years, having to many models in shops.

Look at this, formule 1 racer Max Verstappen on a demonstration in The Netherlands. Filmed with GoPro 360 video rigg. For this Theta does not offer a serious camera model.

08-29-2016, 11:40 AM - 2 Likes   #13
Pentaxian

A k-70 is a direct competitor for the Nikon D5500 and the Canon 750/760D It is not too expensive. You just like to bully Pentax Ron. I thought you had left this forum but no you just have to go on and be a negative irritant.
08-29-2016, 11:48 AM   #14
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
A k-70 is a direct competitor for the Nikon D5500 and the Canon 750/760D It is not too expensive. You just like to bully Pentax Ron. I thought you had left this forum but no you just have to go on and be a negative irritant.
You just don't think that the price difference has any impact on potential customers? I choose the combo's with the 18-135mm lens because these are the combo's mostly bought by people who just own that single camera/lens and not a whole system.

The K-70 can not perform up to D5500 and 760D in auto focus performance. Is not available in as many shops. So it is maybe not to expensive, but is undercut by Pentax's own older models.

It is not about bully'ing anyone, but about understanding why a camera model isn't leaving shops.
08-29-2016, 11:52 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Oh, Ricoh is not competing with (insert random imaging product) GoPro... do you know GoPro is in trouble? If I were Ricoh, I would be very careful with emulating them.
GoPro, by the way, doesn't have a Theta either. Nor equivalents for about every other Ricoh Imaging camera.

---------- Post added 29-08-16 at 10:01 PM ----------

You just don't think that the price difference has any impact on potential customers? I choose the combo's with the 18-135mm lens because these are the combo's mostly bought by people who just own that single camera/lens and not a whole system.

The K-70 can not perform up to D5500 and 760D in auto focus performance. Is not available in as many shops. So it is maybe not to expensive, but is undercut by Pentax's own older models.
Price difference? All right, let's talk about that.
Pentax K-70 - launched at $649.95
Canon 750D - launched at $749.99 (the 760D, at $849.99)
Nikon D5500, launched at $899.95
What were you saying?

The D5500 and 760D cannot perform up to the K-70 in areas like viewfinder and build quality, and a few features which I'm too lazy to enumerate.

It is not about bully'ing anyone, but about understanding why a camera model isn't leaving shops.

Last edited by Kunzite; 08-29-2016 at 12:03 PM.