Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 34 Likes Search this Thread
09-07-2016, 03:00 AM   #121
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I'm a big fan of the DA "plastic fantastic" lenses - both the DA35 f/2.4 and the DA50 f/1.8. That said, when I compare the latter to my FA50 f/1.4, I really do feel that the FA has better build quality. There's still a lot of plastic, yes, but it feels much more solid and robust. I assume the comparison for the 35mm lenses would be similar...
I haven't used the FA 35, but I owned the FA 50 f1.4 and have used the DA 50 f1.8 and other than the DA being a little lighter due to plastic mount and slightly slower aperture, I thought they were pretty equivalent. I doesn't matter to me, as I own the FA 31 and it definitely does have a better build than either of the two lenses mentioned.

09-07-2016, 03:03 AM   #122
Pentaxian

They are not obsolete just because nowadays lenses have silent motors and look different. Optically they are still very good. Last time I checked my camera didn't record audio while taking pictures and it is still not a law that a lens may not produce sound. They look dated and you can hear them. That does nothing at all to my photography.
09-07-2016, 03:10 AM   #123
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I own the FA 31 and it definitely does have a better build than either of the two lenses mentioned.
You would certainly hope so!
09-07-2016, 03:26 AM   #124
Pentaxian

But FA are also prone to flare, and have very weak contrast on bigger openings(without hood), not necessarily the sharpness(I found mine FA50 enough sharp on 1.4, when focused right),and got a lot of CA. That is why I sold my FA50/1.4 in favor to get both DA50&35. Happy with both plastic fantastic, never felt sorry for this decision. Both work better in my opinion on digital, almost no flare, both have better AF(50 is slower but more accurate) than FA50 ever had, still noisier. I would love the old designs to come out with modern coatings,optical solution optimized for digital, PLM and keep their size small-perfect solution for all the people who want refreshed classics not modern style lenses.

09-07-2016, 03:42 AM - 1 Like   #125
Pentaxian

Flare has nothing to do with digital or analogue but with lens design. To avoid it use a hood and avoid direct light sources. The FA 50 1.4 has a different lens design creating more pleasing bokeh and rendering. The slight softness wide open makes it great for portraits. Characteristics many modern 'perfect' lenses (because sharp wide open and almost no chromatic aberrations) lack.
09-07-2016, 04:05 AM   #126
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
Flare has nothing to do with digital or analogue but with lens design. To avoid it use a hood and avoid direct light sources. The FA 50 1.4 has a different lens design creating more pleasing bokeh and rendering. The slight softness wide open makes it great for portraits. Characteristics many modern 'perfect' lenses (because sharp wide open and almost no chromatic aberrations) lack.
Lens coating has everything to do with flare. You can shoot DA50, DA*55 and almost any other DA prime almost direct into the sun without hood, and not get the flare but that is not the case. I'm still using hoods for all my lenses, everytime. Any camera and lens is just a tool, and it seems some users gets to much emotionally attached to it. If you like that lens-OK, I can understand, I also have some good relations with super-tak 50/1.4 even with its radiation issues. But it should not be the problem for Ricoh to improve and/or replace old, and not standing in line with modern optics instruments.
09-07-2016, 04:29 AM   #127
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Reed Quote
Lens coating has everything to do with flare
I didn't say lens coating anywhere

09-07-2016, 06:50 AM   #128
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
For those of us who've been waiting patiently for the Q mount macro, promises like that mean virtually nothing.
That's why it is called a roadmap and not a promise. Many people mix the two.
09-07-2016, 07:50 AM   #129
Pentaxian

When I said 'promise', I was talking about the promise to work on the 'lack of modern D FA primes' problem; they are trying to alleviate people's concerns in this regard. I never said that all lenses would be released by date X - since the roadmap itself is subject to change without notice, and all dates are "... or later"
And yes, I expect Ricoh Imaging to act on that promise.
09-07-2016, 08:05 AM   #130
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
That's why it is called a roadmap and not a promise. Many people mix the two.
I believe there was a 30mm f1.4 on the roadmap seven or eight years ago.
09-07-2016, 08:08 AM   #131
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
And isn't it a shame that never happened? That still is a big hole in the APS-C system: the truly fast normal.
09-07-2016, 08:25 AM   #132

I loved 35mm as a focal length on film. I have many different 35s. On APSC I get the angle of view of a fifty bur the perspective of a thirty five. This lens is solid performer which will be a huge incentive to buy a K1. Hope they rework it and improve on it and add a silent motor version.
09-07-2016, 08:26 AM   #133
Pentaxian

It was on road map around end of 2008, as I can remember it was supposed to be called DA*30 1.4 ....then it was gone and never mentioned again
09-07-2016, 08:54 AM   #134
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
Yes, and it was canceled by Hoya - just like the long lens, and the rear converter.
09-07-2016, 09:09 AM   #135
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Yes, and it was canceled by Hoya - just like the long lens, and the rear converter.
Now that all the focus is on FF - which is a good thing - we probably won't see a new pro grade lens for APS-C. Still, they could do a "regular" DA 30 1.4 or at least 1.8 for APS-C. it would be enough... even if they use all plastic

Speaking of plastic... much has been talked about the DA 35 2.4 and the DA 50 1.8... that plastic is good plastic. Plus the lenses are good optical quality. My DA 35 2.4 has hit a metal bar inside our van (when my stepfather-in-law left it on the floor as we were leaving). Only the front of the lens was hit - the K-r which it was attached to, didn't suffer a thing and still performs wonderfully. A piece of the filter ring broke off (I can still use a filter or a hood). But the lens just keeps on going and is as good as ever.

The other thing about the plastic is that for over 2 years now I've carried a K-r (and now a K-S1) around my neck everywhere with nothing but the DA 35 2.4 attached to it. I'll tell you one thing - not only it's high quality as far as the images go, but it's so light I can carry that setup all day and never wish I would have a mirrorless. The DA 35 2.4 is VERY light - even compared to my F 50 1.7 which seems to weigh 3 times as much, in practice, since it makes these light cameras become more front heavy. Just a delight to use and, to me, the perfect walkaround lens. The FA 35 f2 is just a bit lighter than the F 50 1.7 I have so I imagine it's not quite as pleasing to carry around, but still very manageable (I do carry the F 50 1.7 around as well, and while I do notice the extra weight, it's not really a problem).

Last edited by ChristianRock; 09-07-2016 at 09:16 AM.