Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 12 Likes Search this Thread
09-18-2016, 08:43 AM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Nope, PTTL is not analog, no way.

Flash protocol has been digital for long years: 500ftz and 330ftz plain vanilla TTL units were digital TTL units (compatible with older analog TTL like SuperA, LX etc).

That said, some Metz were able to get more auto settinfs and/or manual power settings using an external unit (Mecamat).
I doubt it is feasible but I would not rule it out completely.

09-18-2016, 10:39 AM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Nope, PTTL is not analog, no way.

Flash protocol has been digital for long years: 500ftz and 330ftz plain vanilla TTL units were digital TTL units (compatible with older analog TTL like SuperA, LX etc).

That said, some Metz were able to get more auto settinfs and/or manual power settings using an external unit (Mecamat).
I doubt it is feasible but I would not rule it out completely.
Ok - I believe you. I think I misinterpreted some lines of the Cactus V6 manual. Only Analogue TTL Mode flashes can be learned. So I guess no chance to get a PTTL-driven wireless solution for the Pentax AF201 based on the V6.
09-18-2016, 02:32 PM   #33
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
Btw, rechargeable AAA power use same charger than AA.
So, where's the problem ?
Inventory.
All my AA-powered units share the same group of spares.

---------- Post added 09-18-16 at 05:34 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
A thought or question that's been in my mind for some time: has anyone seen lithium "C" or "D" cell batteries? I have some flashlights and lanterns that use these bigger batteries, and lithiums would be better than alkalines for extra-long shelf life.
I have a couple of flashlights that use AA batteries.
I got them after I discovered that convenience stores run out of "C" and "D" batteries when people rush to the store because of an oncoming crisis {hurricane, blizzard, etc}, but they never seem to run out of AA batteries.

BTW - in reference to the "inventory" answer above, I don't have any spare batteries specifically for the flashlight. When I do need extra batteries for them, I just reach for my camera bag.

Last edited by reh321; 09-18-2016 at 02:36 PM. Reason: BTW
09-19-2016, 02:42 AM - 2 Likes   #34
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by acoufap Quote
I'd really like to know if the Cactus V6 that I own is able to learn controlling the AF201.
It depends on whether the AF201 still supports the analogue TTL protocol.

Note that while the AF 540/360 FGZ II flashes have been said to not support analogue TTL anymore, they still do. You can control them with a V6.

If the AF201 dropped the analogue TTL support then your best bet would be a V6II receiver as the latter has the ability to speak "digital P-TTL" with a flash. There is a generic "Auto" P-TTL profile that should work with any P-TTL flash, even if it has no dedicated V6II profile.

Unfortunately only two manual power steps (full and 1/4) are available.
That's far from ideal. To get good calibration results, you want at least two power levels other than full power.

However, often it is possible to select an existing flash profile of a (Pentax) flash that has a similar guide number. Then your results may not be perfect but they may be usable enough.

The other available workaround is to use ND filters during the "profile learning" stage in order to simulate manual power levels that the flash cannot produce.

Maybe the cactus can interpolate steps in between?
Yes, it can. But interpolating 8 power levels from just two measurements is tough and the V6 is not good at it.

As far as I understood PTTL is an analog based signal.
P-TTL refers to the newer digital protocol.

What the V6 exploits is the older analogue TTL protocol. This is still supported by many modern flashes (e.g., the Pentax FGZ II models or my Metz 58 AF-2) but the most modern flashes do not seem to support it anymore (e.g., Metz 64 AF-1).

09-19-2016, 08:56 AM   #35
Pentaxian

Mmm support if old analog by FGZ II is (very) good news to me. TTL on LX/ Super A. VERY nice
09-19-2016, 10:06 AM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
If the AF201 dropped the analogue TTL support then your best bet would be a V6II receiver
Of course - but I really don't want to buy 2 additional V6 II only because of a small flash I'd like to use wirelessly.

The other available workaround is to use ND filters
Interesting idea! - So in the end the main info would be if the AF201 still supports analog TTL. Anybody who knows for sure?

My Metz 52 AF-1 PTTL-Version doesn't.

Thanks for the tips!

Last edited by acoufap; 09-25-2016 at 01:39 AM.
09-19-2016, 12:38 PM - 1 Like   #37
Pentaxian

Mmm trying one at photokina on a SuperA or LX should give a straight answer.

09-19-2016, 05:50 PM   #38
Pentaxian

Of course - but I really don't want to buy 2 additional V6 II only because auf a small flash I'd like to use wirelessly.
For sure.

I think you may only be needing one V6II as a receiver, though, but that still is probably overkill just to get the small flash off-camera.
09-20-2016, 05:37 AM - 2 Likes   #39
Veteran Member

From the M400 product info linked in the original post:

" The use of the product is intended for the illumination of photo shootings. It is not suitable for domestic room illumination."

The fact that they put that means they've probably gotten enough complaints from people who thought they could use this instead of a light bulb. Oh, what a world we live in... 😣
09-20-2016, 05:59 AM   #40
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
If anyone could ask metz representative at Photokina about making af spotbeam assist working again on newer Pentax DSLR's that would be great
09-23-2016, 02:24 AM   #41
Veteran Member

- It supports High speed sync (HSS), but does that feature work with Pentax?
- Its got 25 partial lighting levels, but they don't specify the output levels or duration
- Its a pitty they use AA batteries in stead of a rechargeable Li-Ion with higher energy density to reduce weight and size. Or even better: two battery sizes. (I would have the smaller one as I don't use flash that much.)
09-25-2016, 01:41 AM   #42
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Mmm trying one at photokina on a SuperA or LX should give a straight answer.
Already done? - Thanks for reply in advance!
09-25-2016, 03:10 AM   #43
Pentaxian

I won't be at photokina so I can't test with my SuperA.
I would be very easy to test though.
10-02-2016, 01:44 PM   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It depends on whether the AF201 still supports the analogue TTL protocol.

Note that while the AF 540/360 FGZ II flashes have been said to not support analogue TTL anymore, they still do. You can control them with a V6.

If the AF201 dropped the analogue TTL support then your best bet would be a V6II receiver as the latter has the ability to speak "digital P-TTL" with a flash. There is a generic "Auto" P-TTL profile that should work with any P-TTL flash, even if it has no dedicated V6II profile.

That's far from ideal. To get good calibration results, you want at least two power levels other than full power.

However, often it is possible to select an existing flash profile of a (Pentax) flash that has a similar guide number. Then your results may not be perfect but they may be usable enough.

The other available workaround is to use ND filters during the "profile learning" stage in order to simulate manual power levels that the flash cannot produce.

Yes, it can. But interpolating 8 power levels from just two measurements is tough and the V6 is not good at it.

P-TTL refers to the newer digital protocol.

What the V6 exploits is the older analogue TTL protocol. This is still supported by many modern flashes (e.g., the Pentax FGZ II models or my Metz 58 AF-2) but the most modern flashes do not seem to support it anymore (e.g., Metz 64 AF-1).
Success! - Read here.
10-02-2016, 02:15 PM   #45
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Success! - Read here.
Link gave me a system error from the forum.