Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-17-2016, 10:35 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MJSfoto1956 Quote
Not a fan of AAA batteries. Sigh.

M
Yes. The downside to being compact is a long wait for the capacitor to recharge. You can always use that time to clean your lenses or have a snack.

09-17-2016, 04:04 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Not a fan of AAA batteries. Sigh
QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Yes. The downside to being compact is a long wait for the capacitor to recharge. You can always use that time to clean your lenses or have a snack.
My issue is that I prefer to specialize in AA batteries; AAA requires that I keep "surplus inventory" of two sizes of battery. {I always have something needing AA batteries, so specializing in AAA batteries is not an option, at least not right now}.
09-17-2016, 04:19 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
the M400 uses AA
09-17-2016, 09:39 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Not a fan of AAA batteries. Sigh.
Well, you never can have everything in life.
The AAA batteries are a compromise in favour of size.
I own the Metz 26AF-2 because the K-1 is sans on-board flash I figured a small flash would be handy and I do not want to schlepp around my big Metz 64 AF-1 all the time. Before you get too hung up about AAA batteries consider the fact that this little flash is very light and fits easily in a shirt pocket. But the best part is, it is a very capable little unit and a million times more useful than any on-board flash of cameras of any make.

It can be tilted up and down, is strong enough as a bounce flash, it has three lenses, the normal inbuilt lens for everyday use, an inbuilt spring loaded wide angle reflector when not in use slides back into the housing and a clip-on telelens reflector good for at least 85mm. And let me tell you it works like a charm on the K-1 - right out of the box. So don't let the AAAs put you off.

Number of flashes:
approx. 100 with high-capacity alkaline-manganese batteries
approx. 110 with NiMH rechargeable batteries
approx. 160 with lithium batteries
The recycle time is approx. 3seconds. (Not bad)

And it works with these:
• 2 nickel-metal-hydride batteries 1.2V, (size AAA).
• 2 alkaline-manganese dry cell batteries 1.5V, (size AAA).
• 2 lithium batteries 1.5V, (size AAA)

If you have the K-1, go and get one - you won't regret it.

http://www.metz-mecatech.de/index.php?eID=tx_nawsecuredl&u=0&file=fileadmin/...0cc3d4ecf75b10

Page 82 for English

Cheers

Last edited by Schraubstock; 09-17-2016 at 09:45 PM. Reason: typo
09-18-2016, 01:23 AM - 2 Likes   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Canon Nikon version available September/October,Pentax end of the year.
That's the Metz answer.
Best regards
09-18-2016, 05:12 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
Well, you never can have everything in life.
The AAA batteries are a compromise in favour of size.
I own the Metz 26AF-2 because the K-1 is sans on-board flash I figured a small flash would be handy and I do not want to schlepp around my big Metz 64 AF-1 all the time. Before you get too hung up about AAA batteries consider the fact that this little flash is very light and fits easily in a shirt pocket. But the best part is, it is a very capable little unit and a million times more useful than any on-board flash of cameras of any make.

It can be tilted up and down, is strong enough as a bounce flash, it has three lenses, the normal inbuilt lens for everyday use, an inbuilt spring loaded wide angle reflector when not in use slides back into the housing and a clip-on telelens reflector good for at least 85mm. And let me tell you it works like a charm on the K-1 - right out of the box. So don't let the AAAs put you off.

If you have the K-1, go and get one - you won't regret it.

Cheers
Your comments exactly match my expectations about the 26AF-2, basically it is an excellent substitute for a built-in flash on a K1, but substantially more powerful and versatile than any pop-up EXCEPT it cannot function as a controller for wireless flash, which is a shame.
09-18-2016, 05:30 AM   #22
Pentaxian

Btw, rechargeable AAA power use same charger than AA.
So, where's the problem ?

09-18-2016, 05:37 AM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A thought or question that's been in my mind for some time: has anyone seen lithium "C" or "D" cell batteries? I have some flashlights and lanterns that use these bigger batteries, and lithiums would be better than alkalines for extra-long shelf life.
09-18-2016, 06:12 AM   #24
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by beachgardener Quote
the M400 uses AA
That's right. Assumptions are the mother of all mess ups.

QuoteOriginally posted by metz:
Power supply

• 4 x AA alkaline-magnesium or lithium batteries
  • 4 × AA NiMH rechargeable batteries
09-18-2016, 06:26 AM - 1 Like   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Your comments exactly match my expectations about the 26AF-2, basically it is an excellent substitute for a built-in flash on a K1, but substantially more powerful and versatile than any pop-up EXCEPT it cannot function as a controller for wireless flash, which is a shame.
I'm also looking for small flash unit. A shame that Pentax doesn't offer such a small controller within the AF201 FG. Until now I'm not decided - Pentax AF201 FG or Metz 26AF-2. The Metz can be used as Slave and provides a Power LED, AF201 doesn't have either. But the AF201 is WR and offers a simple manual mode.

I'd really like to know if the Cactus V6 that I own is able to learn controlling the AF201. Unfortunately only two manual power steps (full and 1/4) are available. Maybe the cactus can interpolate steps in between? Does anybody know? If this works with good results, I'd buy the AF201 - any experiences?
09-18-2016, 06:31 AM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by acoufap Quote
I'm also looking for small flash unit. A shame that Pentax doesn't offer such a small controller within the AF201 FG. Until now I'm not decided - Pentax AF201 FG or Metz 26AF-2. The Metz can be used as Slave and provides a Power LED, AF201 doesn't have either. But the AF201 is WR and offers a simple manual mode.

I'd really like to know if the Cactus V6 that I own is able to learn controlling the AF201. Unfortunately only two manual power steps (full and 1/4) are available. Maybe the cactus can interpolate steps in between? Does anybody know? If this works with good results, I'd buy the AF201 - any experiences?
I doubt very much that the V6 can insert features that aren't in the flash unit, so I'd say flatly NO, the Cactus cannot interpolate a manual setting not built into the flash.
Note that the Metz has the advantage of both WA and TELE lens attachments.
09-18-2016, 06:34 AM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by beachgardener Quote
the M400 uses AA
... and will cost 249,90 € - more than I payed for my Metz 52 AF-1 (original price I don't know).

Some infos you can find here - sorry german language. ;-)

---------- Post added 2016-09-18 at 15:05 ----------

I doubt very much that the V6 can insert features that aren't in the flash unit, so I'd say flatly NO, the Cactus cannot interpolate a manual setting not built into the flash.
Note that the Metz has the advantage of both WA and TELE lens attachments.
I'm not sure at this point. The V6 learns from the analog (P)TTL signal of the camera. In V6's learning mode you have to choose the availlable manual steps of the flash unit. The more steps available the more accurate the V6 will translate the steps into it's own "controlling protocol" and store it within an individual flash profile. At the end you can trigger the V6 via (P)TTL and V6 translates it into an analog power to control the flash unit. If we only have 2 steps, 1 and 1/4, the TTL-Signal may be translated by P6 as a linear function for the tranceiver signal?! - That could work so that we can get more power controlling steps? Sorry - only speculations. ... some real world experiences would clarify. ;-)
09-18-2016, 07:16 AM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think the limitation is what the flash receiving the signal is able to do, what it can "understand" or in what manner it is capable of responding to a signal it receives. If you were triggering a manual-only one-power setting flash with a V6 it would never respond with anything but a full power output. I think the V6 can either: 1) control the pTTL output of the receiving flash IF the flash is set to pTTL.or 2) MAYBE switch between the manual output settings available ON THE FLASH UNIT if the latter is set to manual. I would be skeptical whether the V6 could do this if the available manual outputs are selected via a physical switch on the flash unit.
09-18-2016, 07:39 AM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
That's right. Assumptions are the mother of all mess ups.

Wrong flash. The thread had a sidebar conversation about a smaller metz flash.
09-18-2016, 07:50 AM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think the limitation is what the flash receiving the signal is able to do, what it can "understand" or in what manner it is capable of responding to a signal it receives. If you were triggering a manual-only one-power setting flash with a V6 it would never respond with anything but a full power output. I think the V6 can either: 1) control the pTTL output of the receiving flash IF the flash is set to pTTL.or 2) MAYBE switch between the manual output settings available ON THE FLASH UNIT if the latter is set to manual. I would be skeptical whether the V6 could do this if the available manual outputs are selected via a physical switch on the flash unit.
I think the limitation is what the flash receiving the signal is able to do, what it can "understand" or in what manner it is capable of responding to a signal it receives.
Right. What exactly we know about the Pentax AF201 is that it supports PTTL and Manual. Latter in two steps. As far as I understood PTTL is an analog based signal. So I think on camera V6 translates the TTL signal of the camera into radio trigger signal, the second V6 with the flash unit on top receives it and translates it into voltage power that controls the light that is submitted by the unit - if the flash unit is set to TTL mode. This is my understanding until now.

If you were triggering a manual-only one-power setting flash with a V6 it would never respond with anything but a full power output.
If the flash unit supports different power steps that you can choose, the chosen power will be submitted. When I use my Canon 270EX full power is submitted since it has no manual controlls.

I think the V6 can either: 1) control the pTTL output of the receiving flash IF the flash is set to pTTL.or 2) MAYBE switch between the manual output settings available ON THE FLASH UNIT if the latter is set to manual.
1) yes. It even works using my Canon 430 EZ. A fitting profile is availlable for this flash unit. If no such profile exists it can be generated after a learning process, if the flash unit fulfills some preconditions. One is that it must support manual mode. When a profile is availlabe or could be learned the V6 can control the flashes output. You can remotely change the settings of the "on camera" (transmitting) V6 unit.
2) If the flash unit is set to manual, the manual settings of the flash are used to produce the transmitted light (Cactus V5 works in this way - I think)

Last edited by acoufap; 09-18-2016 at 07:56 AM.