Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-20-2016, 09:42 AM - 3 Likes   #151
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MJKoski Quote
Hm? This topic was about MILC system wasn't it? So...why not join discuss various reasons why it works or does not work? DSLR is a thing from the Past. Accept it or not.
Not. boriscleto'ed.

09-20-2016, 09:44 AM   #152
Pentaxian

@D1N0
How is it not true? All recent DSLR specific progress like extremely short blackout times are related to CaNikon 1-series bodies.

All other recent new and useful features like Astro-Tracer and PS have nothing to do with optical viewfinder and do not require a DSLR body. Ricoh should strike fast now.
While I agree Mirror-less is the future, Pentax/Ricoh haven't really been a "Go with the Crowd" company. They like to make calculated changes and sure bets speaking to a very specific market. That said, I still can't explain the Q system or the K-01.

It seems DSLR cameras are Pentax's bread and butter. I think they are happy to retain the current crowd and do what they do best providing the very best bang for buck and feature filled cameras they can. I think they will move with the market, but probably not until the current customers become unhappy with the standard DSLR.

I do hope we see a Pentax mirror-less camera soon, but I wouldn't be surprised if we have to wait a few more years for the market to change.
09-20-2016, 09:45 AM   #153
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Yeah, and when I was a kid sixty years ago, it was said that in less than fifty years we'd all be flying helicopters.
That was exactly his point IMHO.
09-20-2016, 09:50 AM   #154
Veteran Member

Pixel-Shift particularly is a killer feature. Many Sony folks would switch to Pentax if it had MILC FF-body with K-1 feature set.

09-20-2016, 09:52 AM   #155
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
@D1N0
How is it not true? All recent DSLR specific progress like extremely short blackout times are related to CaNikon 1-series bodies.

All other recent new and useful features like Astro-Tracer and PS have nothing to do with optical viewfinder and do not require a DSLR body. Ricoh should strike fast now.
A lot of mirrorless features can be brought to dslr, like sensor pdaf and lens technology This year brought new flagship models (D5 1Dx Mk II, K-1), And the D500, 80D, D3400, K-70, T6/1300D, A68 A99II (disputable they have mirrors that don't flop and evf's) DSLR still has the largest share of the market. This is reality, not your predictions bases on wishful thinking.
09-20-2016, 10:00 AM   #156
Veteran Member

Oh yeah. But. Is DSLR market gaining customers or losing them? That is the question now.
09-20-2016, 10:18 AM   #157
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
At the moment every camera market is loosing customers and mirrorless at a higher rate than DSLR.
09-20-2016, 10:19 AM - 3 Likes   #158
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Hm? This topic was about MILC system wasn't it? So...why not discuss various reasons why it works or does not work? DSLR is a thing from the Past. Accept it or not.
No. Mirrorless cameras are things of the past. In fact all cameras were mirrorless way before the SLR was invented. In fact, the worlds first camera was mirorrless.
Mirrorless is no new technology or a technology at all. It just a camera without a through-the-lens optical finder....

09-20-2016, 10:20 AM   #159
Pentaxian

Oh yeah. But. Is DSLR market gaining customers or losing them? That is the question now.
You are assuming that a new technology always kills the previous technology. Not so.

When cars became common, people didn't just stop riding trains.

When airplanes became common, people didn't just stop driving cars.

Yes it affected the previous technology users some, but at the end, what we got was more options depending on our needs.

Technologies can and will co-exist, unless they become completely obsolete like the steam engine. DSLRs don't have that problem at the moment because you can't look at a DSLR picture and say, "a mirrorless would have taken a much better picture!". They are still good as long as they meet certain preferences - for people like me who prefer OVFs and don't mind the size. I can walk around with my K-S1 all day, so no issues here, and I *love* that viewfinder.

Please stop with this nonsense of trying to impose your own preference on others. It's as rude as it's a farcical argument. Plus, as Pal so rightly said, mirrors are the new technology, not mirrorless.
09-20-2016, 10:21 AM   #160
Pentaxian

Both DSLRs and MILCs are in decline (though part of this would be the effect of the Kumamoto eartquakes)
Nobody is talking about limiting choice.
The question is what will the market prefer in years to come.
We are allowed to speculate.
Nobody actually knows even what will happen next year.
Really? He said: "DSLR is a thing from the Past. Accept it or not.". The intolerance is always from the MILC folks; the DSLR people are about choice.
09-20-2016, 10:42 AM - 1 Like   #161
Loyal Site Supporter

See, we're just benighted old folk, bitterly clinging to our mirrors and prisms. The smug, educated, younger elite try to be patient with us, but eventually they will just decide for us and show us the correct tool for our photographic needs. We refuseniks must be silenced.

Last edited by monochrome; 09-21-2016 at 07:20 AM.
09-20-2016, 11:25 AM   #162

QuoteOriginally posted by Blacknight659 Quote
I totally agree. IF I were to leave Pentax today, it would be for the Olympus OM system. I really like m43, but I love Pentax just that little bit more. Give me the build quality of Pentax and the SMC HD coatings on new lenses, I would be pumped. Great point about using the limited glass on the system with AF and Metering, what a cool thought.

I really like dreaming... LOL!
Me too.

My exgf has has the em10 (mk ii?). The only major draw back of that camera is the fly by wire focusing and power zoom. They drove me nuts. I also wasn't fan of the evf.

The more I think about this, this is what I would do:

I would use the k-1 as my primary camera. I would bring it any time I know or might be in a situation where I will take photos.

The mirrorless would server as a daily carry option. I might not plan to use it but it would be there if something catches my eye. I would also bring it when I do more risky activities like skiing.

A Pentax FF/APS-C to m43 adapter should mimic something like this

Kipon to launch reducer to mount medium format lenses on full frame cameras: Digital Photography Review

Except from FF/APSC to m43 and have proper electrical contacts for lens info/af motors etc.

Last edited by serothis; 09-20-2016 at 11:33 AM.
09-20-2016, 11:32 AM   #163
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Both DSLRs and MILCs are in decline (though part of this would be the effect of the Kumamoto eartquakes)

Really? He said: "DSLR is a thing from the Past. Accept it or not.". The intolerance is always from the MILC folks; the DSLR people are about choice.
I read his statement as something he sees as fact.
It's like saying, "The tide is coming in. Accept it or not".
I believe all actually believe in choice, the question is which choices will we have.
I do not believe him.
I still believe DSLR will dominate in professional grade and MILC will dominate in consumer grade.
But, this is still all words.
We shall see what happens in the marketplace over the next few years.
09-20-2016, 11:50 AM   #164
Loyal Site Supporter

I read his statement as something he sees as fact.
It's like saying, "The tide is coming in. Accept it or not".
I believe all actually believe in choice, the question is which choices will we have.
I do not believe him.
I still believe DSLR will dominate in professional grade and MILC will dominate in consumer grade.
But, this is still all words.
We shall see what happens in the marketplace over the next few years.
If the camera market (generally) branches into Phone (universal consumer), MILC (high consumer / enthusiast) and dSLR (enthusiast / accomplished amateur / pro) the market will likely lose access to mid-range APSc and entry FF SLR bodies and lenses, and prices of flagship bodies and lenses will rise. Perhaps MF will push FF down to the APSc price point and APSc will survive on price alone. But I think it unlikely SLR will disappear altogether.
09-20-2016, 12:06 PM   #165
Pentaxian

There are still companies making view cameras and companies making pinhole cameras. Just because one part of the market may look good does not mean a company should drop all and chase it. Otherwise they will be completely abandoned as who wants to buy from a company that might change directions next week.

Perhaps the MF technology was not ready with eh 645D came out as neither Hasselblad or Fuji entered it when Pentax brought out the 654D. Maybe the mirrorless technology is not ready for some of the current users of DSLR. Maybe there will always be a market for cameras with mirrors.