Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 106 Likes Search this Thread
09-20-2016, 10:14 PM   #181
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rbelyell Quote
im sorry, but i just dont agree. the presence of analogue dials simply do not themselves 'impose limitations' either on the camera or the user. if the Df didnt have locked dials there would be complaints about inadvertant movement. it seems youre looking for problems, and as every tool for every application has compromises, you are sure to find them! what these dials add is choice and flexibility. its ok not to want either, but it doesnt make sense to instruct those who do that their choice is in fact 'limiting' when its exactly the opposite!
IMO retro controls would impose limitations, and one reason why I mention limitations on these retro cameras is because these cameras are more limited than Pentax cameras I use.
If Pentax would implement retro interface they would most likely have to make their interface less flexible than today. No more green button, no more Hyper-P, no more Hyper-M...

Another thing is that those that ask for K1000-D, Spotmatic-D or LX-D usually also want less complex controls than on most Japanese cameras of today. They want cameras with bare minimum controls. It's not a K1 with extra retro controls they want.

Here is one example how a camera like this could be designed.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/6-pentax-dslr-discussion/229728-spotmatic...nyone-saw.html
It's often for nostalgic reasons they want a camera like this.

Last edited by Fogel70; 09-21-2016 at 01:05 AM.
09-21-2016, 12:04 AM   #182
Pentaxian

So this thread is just another "I want this x-mas gift from my mommy and anyone wanting something else is stupid and if mommy doesnt provide that she is stupid as well" thread.

Funny how the universe seems to rotate around some people. Do you know the guy from Greek myth who watched his image in a pool of water and fell in love with it?
09-21-2016, 01:23 AM   #183
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
So this thread is just another "I want this x-mas gift from my mommy and anyone wanting something else is stupid and if mommy doesnt provide that she is stupid as well" thread.

Funny how the universe seems to rotate around some people. Do you know the guy from Greek myth who watched his image in a pool of water and fell in love with it?
Narcissus.
09-21-2016, 01:27 AM   #184
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by serothis Quote
The only major draw back of that camera is the fly by wire focusing and power zoom. They drove me nuts. I also wasn't fan of the evf.
That pretty much sums up that you still prefer DSLRs, doesn't it?

09-21-2016, 01:35 AM   #185
Pentaxian

]Btw, here is a Pentax oldest mirrorless K-mount camera (old prototype)
As it is from 1997 it can count a "vintage" by now.

So maybe they will release a 20 year anniversary model of it next year.
Vintage is hot, so what can go wrong?
Attached Images

09-21-2016, 01:41 AM   #186
Veteran Member

I hope to confirm some of this rumor at Photokina. Disappointing to present a firmware as a great novelty. I feel the need for a more portable system for hiking and cycling as an alternative to the current Pentax DSLRs. I want this alternative Pentax system features (sensor stabilization, wr, ergonomics, menu, and so on). I wait until the CP + and if nothing appears, with regret I think I'll say goodbye Pentax.
09-21-2016, 02:06 AM   #187
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Narcissus.
Yes, and all his offspring seem to be posting on internet forums such as this.

09-21-2016, 02:25 AM   #188
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote

Second guy is Νάρκισσος.

First one is probably Eric Cartman.

Correct?
09-21-2016, 03:20 AM   #189
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MJKoski Quote
K-1 is weird concept in a way. Pixel-Shift is useless without pinpoint focusing which can be achieved only by manually focusing zoomed in. All high-MP bodies require extremely careful focusing. Optical viewfinder is only guesswork at best. Why are Fuji and Hasselblad adopting mirrorless technique just now? Magnified focusing aids, for one.
Boriscletoed.
09-21-2016, 03:55 AM   #190
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
]Btw, here is a Pentax oldest mirrorless K-mount camera (old prototype)
As it is from 1997 it can count a "vintage" by now.

So maybe they will release a 20 year anniversary model of it next year.
Vintage is hot, so what can go wrong?
Ah, the Pentax Digital K concept, shown, among other prototypes, at Photokina 2006...

A larger picture:

09-21-2016, 04:04 AM   #191
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
Here is an interesting article about lens sizes, in particular lenses specifically designed for Sony's mirrorless cameras...
Why Sony's Full Frame Pro Mirrorless Was a Fatal Mistake
I disagree with what the article says about IBIS, I'll take IBIS over OIS any day.

Another thing is the images of the comparisons with the Sony and 5Dsr is not accurate. The third image after the jolly roger image has the Canon 5Dsr and Sony A7ii. On my 15.6 inch screen the 5Dsr is 10 cm and the A7ii is 8.5 cm ...... 10cm divided by 8.8 means the Canon is 1.17 times larger than the Sony.

According to camera size comparison, the Canon 5Dsr is 152 mm (or 15.2) cm wide. The Sony A7ii is 126.9mm wide. 152 divided by 126.9 = the Canon is 1.19 times larger than the Sony A7ii.

The author of that article deliberately made the images of Sony A7ii sightly larger in the comparison and thus making the lenses appear slightly wider and longer than they actually are. I'm not saying here that Sony lenses are small, but this article is an over exaggeration.

The Sony 85mm 1.4 gm has a diameter of 89.5mm and length of 107.5 mm. The Canon 85mm 1.2 has a diameter of 91.4mm and length of 83.8mm. The Canon has a slightly larger diameter but in that third image they appear to have an equal diameter. The length of the Sony is not in question, but the perception that image on your link shows is it is misleading the viewer to think the Sony lens is as fat as the Canon lens.

The article is disingenuous and false.

https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&u...33387755,d.dGo

---------- Post added 09-21-16 at 09:19 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
New vintage mirrorless?

Since Pentax has no particular tradition in non-SLR interchangeable lens cameras, that makes for a very strange rumor.

Steve
No I find it interesting. Photokina has come and there's nothing new from Pentax, just crickets chirping. There's plenty going on at the Fuji booth with the XT-2 and medium format.

The issue is that this rumour could be an actual rumour to get us Pentaxians talking and make our ears go up like a guard dog.

If it is true that Pentax has a mirrorless camera down the pipeline, then I'm excited. But I think going to another retro looking camera means that Pentax will actually make it a retro camera in GUI and features. I seriously hope that they DO NOT go down this path. They should create a modern mirrorless camera with ultra-modern capability. Although people might disagree, but Sigmas new quattro looks like a serious piece of hardware and THATS what Pentax needs ! A serious piece of hardware thats a serious contender. They should not pussy-foot around with another half baked mirrorless camera like the K-01. If you do something, never do it half-a**ed !

Instead of having it designed by Marc Newsom, they should take it to Italdesign Giugiaro, or Pininfarina, or Bertone, or Zagato or Carrozzeria Ghia. Get a hot blooded italian to design it. Preferably Ghia, because they like curves.
09-21-2016, 04:23 AM   #192
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by zoolander Quote
If it is true that Pentax has a mirrorless camera down the pipeline, then I'm excited. But I think going to another retro looking camera means that Pentax will actually make it a retro camera in GUI and features. ...
For a total retro feel, it will have a film advance crank lever and it will work only in one preset ISO, which can be changed only after 36 shots.
09-21-2016, 04:33 AM   #193
Veteran Member

I had Nikon Df for 2 weeks year ago. It was totally ruined by the retro stuff thrown in. I bought it for D4 sensor and astro photography but as they removed some physical buttons which every Nikon user already knew and used, it was a PITA to operate. Battery performance was worse than Sony A7x series.

But back to the MILC issue. Have a look at the new products announced at Photokina. All MILC devices. Sony A99mk2 has SLT mirror but relies on EVF with insanely good blackout performance.
09-21-2016, 04:49 AM - 1 Like   #194
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
these threads always bring me back to this:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/6-pentax-dslr-discussion/229728-spotmatic...nyone-saw.html

This I'd buy.
09-21-2016, 04:58 AM   #195
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Great concept, my Takumars will skyrocket!