Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-17-2016, 06:10 PM   #1
Pentaxian

rumor new vintage FF and apsc mirrorless

Pentax vintage mirrorless camera rumors | Pentax Rumors

09-17-2016, 06:24 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
If this is true, I hope it won't be a new mount. I think even though I don't like it, MILC is the future.
09-17-2016, 06:54 PM - 1 Like   #3
CDW
Site Supporter

If the rumor proves to be true, Pentax needs to get the video act together. They are being passed by every other manufacturer. Canon, Nikon, Olympus, Fuji, Panasonic, even Leica, are all doing a superior job with video. It's also time for them to bring warranty and repair service in house and stop acting like a bunch of amateurs when it comes to tech support and response to customers.
09-17-2016, 06:55 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

The K-01 wasn't a great success commercially. It just doesn't make sense to go mirrorless with SLR lenses, as you can't take advantage of the potential for a smaller body. So if they are going mirrorless, it has to be a new mount.

09-17-2016, 07:49 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Here is an interesting article about lens sizes, in particular lenses specifically designed for Sony's mirrorless cameras...
09-17-2016, 08:06 PM   #6
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
Here is an interesting article about lens sizes, in particular lenses specifically designed for Sony's mirrorless cameras...
I made similar claims about compactness many months ago, before the K-1 specs were announced, when a large flair up of the mirrorless chants came about on the forums.. and it didn't quench them.

That said, this does seem to make more sense for APS-C. But I really hope they don't go way of the mirrorless for crop entirely... should this really vague rumor ever come true.
09-17-2016, 08:39 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

New vintage mirrorless?

Since Pentax has no particular tradition in non-SLR interchangeable lens cameras, that makes for a very strange rumor.

Steve

09-17-2016, 08:46 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
I made similar claims about compactness many months ago, before the K-1 specs were announced, when a large flair up of the mirrorless chants came about on the forums.. and it didn't quench them.

That said, this does seem to make more sense for APS-C. But I really hope they don't go way of the mirrorless for crop entirely... should this really vague rumor ever come true.
If OSV were still around, he would explain that the primary value of MILC is not size, the real advantage is that EVF gives a much better view of what the actual image will be (*). In addition, an MILC should be simpler construction, and if they were to put a leaf shutter in the lens, it will be much quieter.

(*) A couple of weeks ago, I was taking a picture in a fairly dark area, and I had to switch my K-30 to LV in order to see well enough to frame the picture. Hand-holding the camera while using the LCD was awkward - an EVF would have been much much better.
09-17-2016, 08:51 PM - 1 Like   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
I read that article when it first came out. I can understand the bulk of the zoom, but it is hard to say why the primes are so big. M-mount lenses at the same focal lengths and maximum aperture are much smaller. Go figure...

Steve
09-17-2016, 09:09 PM - 2 Likes   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
The K-01 wasn't a great success commercially. It just doesn't make sense to go mirrorless with SLR lenses, as you can't take advantage of the potential for a smaller body. So if they are going mirrorless, it has to be a new mount.
To me no APSC/FF can take much advantage of ILC, as the problem is in their lens size. Personally I see the m43 having the best potential. The problem is Olympus/Panasonic insist in having the same MP as the APSC, which makes the APSC superior. Give me a ~12MP em5 or em1 with IQ of K-5 and I'm sold.
09-17-2016, 09:21 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
New vintage mirrorless?

Since Pentax has no particular tradition in non-SLR interchangeable lens cameras, that makes for a very strange rumor.

Steve
I would read that to mean a mirrorless camera with the looks of a spotmatic, or even the MX/LX. I'm guessing something equivalent to the Nikon Df with better ergos and current specs, or the vintage-like looks of the Fuji X cameras.
09-17-2016, 09:45 PM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
New vintage mirrorless?

This could be connected to the rumored Canon EOS-M5 somehow.
09-17-2016, 10:23 PM - 3 Likes   #13
Banned

K-02 without Mark Newson.
09-17-2016, 10:35 PM   #14
Pentaxian

A Vintage camera based on the guts of a K1 would make sense. At this point, the image quality is so good across camera bodies of apsc or ff formats that camera bodies can differentiate to justify a purchase. Typically, with the same internal tech of existing dslr, you could have a different user interface, more intuitive, and a nice product finishing as well. To be honest, I already said that I wouldn't purchase anything after the K1 (because I don't feel any need for further image quality), but... at the same time, I would still fancy a retro camera design with a special manual focusing aid and a set of primes. As of today, Zeiss, Samyang are still offering unique outstanding manual focus prime glass but no one is really providing the digital camera body that makes manual focus easy.
09-17-2016, 11:21 PM - 1 Like   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by skierd Quote
I would read that to mean a mirrorless camera with the looks of a spotmatic, or even the MX/LX. I'm guessing something equivalent to the Nikon Df with better ergos and current specs, or the vintage-like looks of the Fuji X cameras.
MX-D here we come

Does sound like K-01, but with vintage styling and EVF (I sure they figured out in the MX-1 that vintage styling without the viewfinder isn't that hot).