Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-29-2016, 10:39 AM   #406
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
The original statement refers to the effort required to reach the Earth's moon in 1969. If you're younger, you don't realize how much science had to stretch to accomplish that. In 1977, I was doing some consulting work, and my girlfriend at the time talked about how neat it would be to have an appropriate computer in the trunk of my car. The computing power in my smartphone is much greater than what they were able to package into the Apollo capsule in 1969 ... or than what I would have stuffed into the trunk of my car in 1977.
I suppose. I just think it is a saying made by someone who had no idea the magnitude of difference between going to the nearest star and going to the moon.

I have no idea if interstellar travel will ever be possible (certainly not in my lifetime), but it would require something completely different from current conventional space travel.

09-29-2016, 11:01 AM   #407
Pentaxian

It works relatively fine if you don't take it literally to the extreme. "Aim" here is not about computing trajectories, but thinking about a (very) long term goal; though "stars" is clearly exaggerated. After all, the saying is a hyperbole, and hyperbolic trajectories are good if you want to escape a celestial object's gravity

Having too narrow goals won't get you farther; for example, mankind is currently restricted to LEO (Low Earth Orbit). I've read that we currently don't have the capability to reach the Moon, despite previously being there, despite having a Saturn V rocket displayed in a museum. Such capabilities will have to be re-developed.

So Ricoh Imaging thinking of leading in DSLRs is a nice target, as long as they don't overdo it (i.e. lose money on impossible goals). Hoya did the opposite, only protecting the margins at the expense of market share and development for the future; the second paragraph applies to them.
09-29-2016, 11:06 AM   #408
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
So they are selling of stock? Or will it be produced again when stocks are depleted?
They said it is still in their catalog..
09-29-2016, 11:41 AM   #409
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Ricoh said in dpreview interview that they would produce more version of GR.
You mean they will study the market.......

QuoteQuote:
Might that extend to GRs with other focal lengths? ĎIt depends,í says Saiki: Ďwe know we really appeal. We have so many GR lovers, it's a very emotional attachment. Thatís why we need to listen to customers about where we should go.í
That could wel mean they have some models on cp+ in 2018.

09-29-2016, 11:53 AM   #410
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I've always found that expression amusing. Can you imagine if NASA engineers really did aim for a nearby star and somehow ended up landing their space craft on the moon? It would be a pretty astounding failure, I'm guessing.
One should be really really crazy to aim for a "star"!
09-29-2016, 12:11 PM   #411
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
The original statement refers to the effort required to reach the Earth's moon in 1969. If you're younger, you don't realize how much science had to stretch to accomplish that. In 1977, I was doing some consulting work, and my girlfriend at the time talked about how neat it would be to have an appropriate computer in the trunk of my car. The computing power in my smartphone is much greater than what they were able to package into the Apollo capsule in 1969 ... or than what I would have stuffed into the trunk of my car in 1977.
Yep, reminds me of a quote: "The processing power of your phone is greater than that of the entirety of NASA in 1969. NASA launched a man to the moon, you're launching birds into pigs ..."
09-29-2016, 12:12 PM   #412
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by farhagh Quote
Nothing wrong with that, as long as you change your course before you get too close
09-29-2016, 12:19 PM   #413
Loyal Site Supporter

It is a really good source of helium.

09-29-2016, 12:23 PM   #414
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
It is a really good source of helium.
Indeed and once mankind can "farm" energy out of them. We gonna aim toward them.

09-29-2016, 01:03 PM   #415
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
That could wel mean they have some models on cp+ in 2018.
GR tends to get a new model in April every second year, so 2017.
09-29-2016, 01:04 PM   #416
Loyal Site Supporter

"When you wish upon a star . . . "
09-29-2016, 01:12 PM   #417
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
Yep, reminds me of a quote: "The processing power of your phone is greater than that of the entirety of NASA in 1969. NASA launched a man to the moon, you're launching birds into pigs ..."
😀

09-29-2016, 01:56 PM   #418
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Does it have to write Pentax on it?
20_09_Metz_Wireless_Trigger_WT-1: Metz
See it here first. Looks great. Only one small issue

QuoteQuote:
Availability
Available estimated first quarter 2017. (Version: Canon, Nikon, Sony) For other ver-
sions Fujifilm, Olympus/Panasonic, Pentax no delivery dates available.
So be patiŽnt and see what happens. If Metz can bring this functionality with HSS up to 1/8000th to k-mount.
09-29-2016, 03:10 PM   #419
Pentaxian

So be patiŽnt and see what happens. If Metz can bring this functionality with HSS up to 1/8000th to k-mount.
I have never used a flashgun, any only used the on-camera one a handful of times to test stuff. So out of interest, what makes Pentax' flash system inferior to that of the competition? I keep reading left and write that even more than in AF.C, Pentax lacks far behind Canon and Nikon in the sophistication of the flash system. Not really knowing much about flash in general, I was wondering what Pentax is lacking. E.g. what is the difference between Pentax' P-TTL and Nikon's iTTL?
09-29-2016, 03:17 PM   #420
Loyal Site Supporter

See it here first. Looks great. Only one small issue

But the Acon and Cactus triggers do 1/8000s right now, Ron. 😊