Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 186 Likes Search this Thread
09-29-2016, 03:21 PM   #421
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
, I was wondering what Pentax is lacking. E.g. what is the difference between Pentax' P-TTL and Nikon's iTTL?
Very little. Another myth.

You can have three or four groupings instead of two, but in fact if you had, say, six Nikon flashes, you can't vary their individual powers AFAIK, as you can with Pentax.

The TTL, exposure evaluation, HSS, power outputs, etc are much the same, as with Canon too, BTW.

09-29-2016, 03:27 PM   #422
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote

You can have three or four groupings instead of two, but in fact if you had, say, six Nikon flashes, you can't vary their individual powers AFAIK, as you can with Pentax.

The TTL, exposure evaluation, HSS, power outputs, etc are much the same, as with Canon too, BTW.
Hm, that sounds pretty good. I was thinking about getting myself some flashes some time (probably Yongnuo 560 IV) to use them off camera to illuminate outdoor activities, like hill walking or climbing at dusk and night.
09-29-2016, 03:30 PM   #423
mee
Veteran Member

The TTL, exposure evaluation, HSS, etc are much the same, as with Canon too, BTW.
I think the biggest issue is direct support for triggers for the larger strobes and monolights.. 3rd party manufacturers. I don't see any listed specific to Pentax on B&H's listing. Tons for Canon, Nikon, and Sony though.
09-29-2016, 03:47 PM   #424
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by farhagh Quote
One should be really really crazy to aim for a "star"!
Most people that dream big fizzle in the end.....

09-29-2016, 04:15 PM   #425
Veteran Member

I would add that P-TTL compatible flashes are few compared to what you can find for Canon or Nikon. Particularly if you're looking for a cheap chinese flash like the Yungnuo. Your best bet with Pentax are the brand name, Metz and Sigma, and that's about it. But it's a minor since these all these flashes are quite good, although not the cheapest. But it's a minor issue for me.

Last edited by CarlJF; 09-29-2016 at 04:23 PM.
09-29-2016, 06:17 PM - 1 Like   #426
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I've always found that expression amusing. Can you imagine if NASA engineers really did aim for a nearby star and somehow ended up landing their space craft on the moon? It would be a pretty astounding failure, I'm guessing.
Well... according to some people, NASA shot for the moon but ended up in New Mexico, USA
09-29-2016, 06:53 PM   #427
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
I think the biggest issue is direct support for triggers for the larger strobes and monolights.. 3rd party manufacturers. I don't see any listed specific to Pentax on B&H's listing. Tons for Canon, Nikon, and Sony though.
Only Priolite supports HSS for Pentax amongst the big beams.

09-29-2016, 07:20 PM - 1 Like   #428
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

I think the biggest issue is direct support for triggers for the larger strobes and monolights.. 3rd party manufacturers. .
I'm glad you've got the cash for all that, Mee, can you lend me until pay day?

The truth is, when you book a commercial studio for a shoot, it doesn't matter what you have - Pentax, Canon or Panasonic, because their multiple expensive strobes are set up for manual shooting and their triggers will work on any standard hotshoe.

When I and two other Pentaxians took part in a workshop a couple of weeks ago, there was *nothing* we did differently from the Canikon shooters.

And for all the Total Light fantasists, I can tell you that whether a m43 or MF camera is used, the exposure is absolutely the same ... typically f8, 1/125s, ISO 100 ... across all sensor sizes, and we had one guy with a Hassy on the day.

(K-1, DA*55, background courtesy of ArtReferenceSource at Deviantart.com)

Last edited by clackers; 09-30-2016 at 12:14 AM.
09-29-2016, 08:09 PM   #429
mee
Veteran Member

I'm glad you've got the cash for all that, Mee, can you lend me until pay day?

The truth is, when you book a commercial studio for a shoot, it doesn't matter what you have - Pentax, Canon or Panasonic, because they're set up for manual shooting and their strobes and triggers will work on any standard hotshoe.
haha me? You're most definitely asking the wrong guy Some of the single flash heads are worth more than my entire camera, lens, and flash collection combined.

But it pretty clear that Pentax is generally overlooked by a lot of the fanypants ttl flash systems. And it makes sense since Pentax has long not been where the money is at... by and large..

Today, Pentax give the appearance that they want to change this to some degree. So old ways of thinking in Pentaxland will have to adapt with the changes too I think. This only happens, I think, if the market as a whole accepts Pentax as a player.

And, for the record, I only shoot TTL when I need run-and-gun style shooting (where there is little to no time to dial in the flash). And that is generally with a lone, on camera flash. With multiple flashes (off camera) they are indeed set to manual, because I'm in a static location where I have time to set them individually and they generally don't have to change (since the lighting isn't dynamic in the scene).
09-29-2016, 08:57 PM   #430
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

And, for the record, I only shoot TTL when I need run-and-gun style shooting (where there is little to no time to dial in the flash). And that is generally with a lone, on camera flash. With multiple flashes (off camera) they are indeed set to manual, because I'm in a static location where I have time to set them individually and they generally don't have to change (since the lighting isn't dynamic in the scene).
I'm exactly the same, Mee.

Liebovitz and Seligar will be shooting complex paid jobs in manual, where they have complete control, not some manufacturer's algorithms.

But TTL has its place, like the unpredictability of an event where you don't know who or what is around the next corner, and that's when I'll always use it.

09-29-2016, 10:39 PM   #431
Pentaxian

Current P-TTL flashes and Pentax cameras have some limitations, for example to use external without a "pttl-cable" flash in pttl, you need a set of two flashguns.That's becouse new DSLR like K-S2 or K-70 lacks the ability to control flashes with onboard flash.And even if you can do it with built in flash- it has very short and narrow range of operation. Also every new body released, starting from K-S1,even K-1 supports only the new white beam autofocus assist LED from genuine pentax FGZ360/540 flashguns. Old fgz and all metz flashes I've tried don't trigger that old red "af grid" beam.

Third and most important(for me)- acon,cactus etc triggers are almost unavailable in Europe. You can order them, but then good luck with warranty. There is no good pttl studio strobe except that single Prolite one, that cost more than new K-1.

I use Metz flashes, Yongnuo's, and I will definetly buy that new metz triggers.
But I can't say that I'm limited with pentax flash system, only real limitation here is pttl radio triggers small offer to choose from.
09-30-2016, 12:10 AM   #432
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Reed Quote
Current P-TTL flashes and Pentax cameras have some limitations, for example to use external without a "pttl-cable" flash in pttl, you need a set of two flashguns.

But Reed, how is that any different from Canon or Nikon? You always need a controller/master with them, too.

Third party product availability is a different matter, you didn't pick Pentax for that, neither do Olympus or Fuji owners.

What Fantastic Mr Fox's question to you is, what is more advanced about the actual native flash system and implementation?

Pretend you are standing (I'm looking at your profile) with your K-S2 next to your buddy with a Canon 750D. You both have bought one or two speedlights, maybe second hand ... what are you missing compared to him?

Last edited by clackers; 09-30-2016 at 12:15 AM.
09-30-2016, 12:15 AM   #433
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
You mean they will study the market.......

That could wel mean they have some models on cp+ in 2018.
I mean - not only 28 mm new version of GR could be produced, but new GR with other focal range lenses.

Richard Butler (dpreview.com)
My take from the interview was that they would consider building additional GR models, not replace the much-loved 28 equiv.

equiv. 21 and 35 mm could be good. or even with wide angle zoom eq. 21-42 mm (14-28) (just my wish)

Last edited by ogl; 09-30-2016 at 12:31 AM.
09-30-2016, 12:24 AM   #434
Banned

It doesn't come cheap, but with Nikon you can do a lot more with flashes. Just read into Joe Mcnally.

---------- Post added 30-09-16 at 09:25 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
I mean - not only 28 mm new version of GR could be produced, but new GR with other focal range lenses.

Richard Butler (dpreview.com)
My take from the interview was that they would consider building additional GR models, not replace the much-loved 28 equiv.

equiv. 21 and 35 mm could be good. or even with wide angle zoom eq. 21-42 mm (14-28) (just my wish)
You really expect that in 2017? To me that looks like 2018......or later.
09-30-2016, 12:25 AM - 1 Like   #435
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
It doesn't come cheap, but with Nikon you can do a lot more with flashes. Just read into Joe Mcnally.

Let's hear it from you, Ron ...