Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-29-2016, 10:21 AM - 1 Like   #616
Pentaxian
D1N0's Avatar

Join Date: May 2012
Location: ---
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,275
QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
Only for DSLR. Pentax wants to be the third ILC brand by market share, I believe, which means they're up against Sony, Nikon, Canon, Panasonic, Olympus and Fuji, to name the bigger ones. If they want to become number 3 they'd have to beat either one of the big three, Canon, Nikon and Sony.
They have said no such thing. In the dpreview photokina interview they said ""We believe we can revive Pentax as the leading company for DSLRs" what that means? Market Leader? Technology leader? Kazunobu Saiki was just in a good but overly enthusiastic mood? I think the latter. Canon has an unbeatable Brandname. Pentax is two steps behind the best in AF tech and Video. So one and two are not very likely. Pentax excels in area's other companies neglect. That's the reason they are still here.

11-29-2016, 11:29 AM   #617
Loyal Site Supporter
monochrome's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kirkwood (St. Louis) MO
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 20,336
When he was in good favor a few years ago Jim Malcolm privately expressed Ricoh's goals to a group of PF members similarly, on a Conference Call I arranged.

We need to understand Ricoh takes a very long view for their success horizon - 20 years - believing constant incremental growth over time, while apparently minimal in the early years, becomes nominally substantial in the later years due to the law of compounding.

Pentax is different in more than merely products.
11-29-2016, 11:52 AM   #618
Pentaxian
RonHendriks1966's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 8,714
I think that the change in the camera market over the past 5 years is changing a lot of dreams and ambitions.
11-29-2016, 12:49 PM - 1 Like   #619
Pentaxian
Pål Jensen's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Norway
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,139
QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
The A 50 1.2 isn't a perfect lens either. Bokeh at 1.2 is dizzying. And what do you have a 1.2 for? Just leave it to chinese manual lens manufacturers. A 1.4 will be ok.

The point of fast lenses is not DOF but ability to shoot in low light. Pentax is arguably the best there is for low light use, with astrotracker and all. Whats missing are fast lenses. It makes sense.....

11-29-2016, 02:16 PM   #620
Pentaxian
D1N0's Avatar

Join Date: May 2012
Location: ---
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,275
QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
The point of fast lenses is not DOF but ability to shoot in low light. Pentax is arguably the best there is for low light use, with astrotracker and all. Whats missing are fast lenses. It makes sense.....
That used to be the point in the film days, now there is cmos
11-29-2016, 02:43 PM   #621
Loyal Site Supporter
monochrome's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kirkwood (St. Louis) MO
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 20,336
QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
That used to be the point in the film days, now there is cmos
You have to see to focus with an OVF in low light, which is when I prefer an A50/1.2 over an FA50/1.4 (I realize an FA is AF, but it often misses focus in low light).
11-29-2016, 04:51 PM   #622
Site Supporter




Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: PA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 257
putting out new 135/85/50/24 glass is great, and i will buy a few, but it's not a reason to switch brands, and it's nothing new to photography.... maybe they've given up on that. i wish pentax would make niche lenses.... you can afford to be behind on af/video if you make the right glass... being cheaper and better is great, but maybe not enough to leap ahead of other manufacturers. right now canon is the only oem to make greater than 1:1 macro. every university in the country with an etomology dept, every natural history museum, all field entomologists, etc... basically have one choice, and all the students see one brand. ricoh could easily make a usb powered macro rail coupled with stacking software. make a specialized astro lens, make a 300mm 1:1 macro, make an 800mm f4 bazooka that's smaller than the current 560
11-29-2016, 04:56 PM   #623
Pentaxian
D1N0's Avatar

Join Date: May 2012
Location: ---
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,275
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
You have to see to focus with an OVF in low light, which is when I prefer an A50/1.2 over an FA50/1.4 (I realize an FA is AF, but it often misses focus in low light).
use live view

11-29-2016, 05:07 PM - 1 Like   #624
JPT
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Tokyo
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,235
QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
They have said no such thing. In the dpreview photokina interview they said ""We believe we can revive Pentax as the leading company for DSLRs" what that means? Market Leader? Technology leader? Kazunobu Saiki was just in a good but overly enthusiastic mood? I think the latter. Canon has an unbeatable Brandname. Pentax is two steps behind the best in AF tech and Video. So one and two are not very likely. Pentax excels in area's other companies neglect. That's the reason they are still here.
I agree that he was in an enthusiastic mood, but it's also quite likely that he just misspoke. Given that the articles "a" and "the" don't have an equivalent in the Japanese language, it's entirely possible that Saiki-san just meant "a leading company for DSLRs". Even quite fluent English speakers use articles wrongly all the time. Anyway, I prefer to look at what Ricoh has been doing than combing over the wording of comments for implied meaning.
11-29-2016, 05:19 PM - 1 Like   #625
Site Supporter




Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Montréal QC
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,805
QuoteOriginally posted by sculptor666 Quote
... right now canon is the only oem to make greater than 1:1 macro. every university in the country with an etomology dept, every natural history museum, all field entomologists, etc... basically have one choice, and all the students see one brand.
Totally agree. The MP-E 65mm dominates the macro field. I think/wish that Ricoh, especially as an outdoors-y brand, would compete here. And make it different from the MP-E! Give me 1:3 to 3:1 as a range (instead of 1:1 to 5:1). Make it weather sealed. Maybe a little longer than the MP-E, something like 80mm instead of 65mm, and only F/4 - there's little need for F/2.8 in this type of lens, IMHO, and this would make the lens a bit smaller. Sell it for the same price as the MP-E. I'd buy that immediately! I think 1:3 to 3:1 would be a much more useful range than 1:1 to 5:1. And, FWIW, I'd probably not buy a 200mm 1:1 macro...
11-29-2016, 06:16 PM   #626
Loyal Site Supporter
monochrome's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kirkwood (St. Louis) MO
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 20,336
QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
use live view
Ruins my night vision.
11-29-2016, 06:29 PM   #627
mee
Pentaxian




Join Date: May 2010
Photos: Albums
Posts: 5,879
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Ruins my night vision.
Does the night mode (red view) work in live view or just the parameters main screen (with aperture, shutter speed, iso)?
11-30-2016, 09:37 AM   #628
Forum Member




Join Date: Jul 2011
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 95
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Does the night mode (red view) work in live view or just the parameters main screen (with aperture, shutter speed, iso)?
It does, it displays everything in the red view once activated (Menues, picture review...).
12-02-2016, 02:46 AM   #629
npc
Veteran Member




Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 311
QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
They have said no such thing. In the dpreview photokina interview they said ""We believe we can revive Pentax as the leading company for DSLRs" what that means? Market Leader? Technology leader? Kazunobu Saiki was just in a good but overly enthusiastic mood? I think the latter. Canon has an unbeatable Brandname. Pentax is two steps behind the best in AF tech and Video. So one and two are not very likely. Pentax excels in area's other companies neglect. That's the reason they are still here.
When Ricoh faquired Pentax they were making such statements for a while (about becoming n3) ... for example in one interview Jim Malcom said "No doubt about it. I have no hesitation, in my mind and in my business direction, that in the future—whether it’s three years or five years out—that there will be three dominant imaging companies on a global basis and it will be Canon, Nikon, and Pentax/Ricoh"
12-02-2016, 02:56 AM   #630
Pentaxian
RonHendriks1966's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 8,714
QuoteOriginally posted by npc Quote
When Ricoh faquired Pentax they were making such statements for a while (about becoming n3) ... for example in one interview Jim Malcom said "No doubt about it. I have no hesitation, in my mind and in my business direction, that in the future—whether it’s three years or five years out—that there will be three dominant imaging companies on a global basis and it will be Canon, Nikon, and Pentax/Ricoh"
That turns out to be Canon, Nikon and Sony.


(But who knows 5 years from now?)

Last edited by RonHendriks1966; 12-02-2016 at 03:11 AM.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
4k, 85mm, advantage, aps-c, cameras, cost, customers, fa, ff, fuji, image, k-1, k1, lens, lenses, market, nikon, pentax, pentax news, pentax rumors, photokina, premium, quality, sigma, surprise, system, video, wr
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Think Pentax will show any new Q stuff at Photokina? barondla Pentax Q 77 09-21-2016 06:53 PM
Photograph everything, look at nothing markdesmarais General Photography 25 04-30-2016 08:09 AM
New Fuji FF to be Shown at Photokina Winder Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc. 19 08-25-2014 07:11 PM
Any other new DSLRs at Photokina GoldenWreckedAngle Pentax News and Rumors 98 03-04-2009 11:15 AM
New Samsung at Photokina 08 korc Pentax News and Rumors 40 04-03-2008 11:34 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:41 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top