Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 186 Likes Search this Thread
12-03-2016, 02:27 PM   #661
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
And people miss the point when they talk about size. If Pentax would make a K-07 {EVF-equipped MILC variant of K-70}, I would buy it in fairly short order. Often I find myself using my K-30 in LV mode - a K-07 would provide better than that, between CDAF and better view of darkish scenes. In fact, the K-70's high ISO capabilities are hobbled by its lack of EVF.
I think Ricoh should make a mirrorless K-mount that has a retro LX style to it. The technology still was not there when the K-01 was released. With a fast sensor like the one used in the Samsung NX-1 and PDAF on sensor a mirrorless K-mount could be very successful.

12-03-2016, 02:49 PM - 1 Like   #662
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
First Monochrome, and now you? I'm getting worried.
Dobble agents have taken their pseudos.
Another ML polluted thread.
We all were desperately waiting for this to happen.

And now, we read for the ten million's time all their uniquethinking rants.
12-03-2016, 04:20 PM   #663
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
And people miss the point when they talk about size. If Pentax would make a K-07 {EVF-equipped MILC variant of K-70}, I would buy it in fairly short order. Often I find myself using my K-30 in LV mode - a K-07 would provide better than that, between CDAF and better view of darkish scenes. In fact, the K-70's high ISO capabilities are hobbled by its lack of EVF.
I'd be very tempted by that too, but I could do with a couple of modern primes with motors etc as well as a 16-85mm My impression is that you can't just stick lenses designed for dedicated PDAF arrays on a modern mirrorless camera and expect more than so-so performance which could be a big problem for the notion of "make mine a DSLR but just stick an EVF on it." These things need to be designed from the ground up so that all the bits work well together, otherwise there is little advantage over the camera from hell (old Sony A7, cheap Chinese adapter with one side 2mm deeper than the other, dodgy 3rd-party battery which smokes when charged and a film-era lens got cheap off fleabay).
12-03-2016, 06:29 PM   #664
Pentaxian

If mirrorless is the future, will Pentax change the mount? Or, is KAF4 and PLM the new standard? If the latter is the answer, then shifting to mirrorless won't be that painful as long as old lenses can be used in the new body.

12-03-2016, 06:39 PM   #665
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by totsmuyco Quote
If mirrorless is the future, will Pentax change the mount? Or, is KAF4 and PLM the new standard? If the latter is the answer, then shifting to mirrorless won't be that painful as long as old lenses can be used in the new body.
Well it has been obvious for several years that mirrorless/EVF is 'the' future ILC technology. I still think we'll see OVF bodies (and I'm happy for it). Ricoh Imaging seem to still like OVF right now... I don't expect a sudden change. This is probably more a multi-year step if at all anything towards mirrorless. I really hope they don't go completely mirrorless though.

But I'm more interested in knowing WHERE in the lineup they'll start with adoption of an EVF on the Pentax lineup. I figured they'd brand Ricoh cameras with EVF first, then go to Pentax products. Perhaps an updated GR? However, maybe a revamped Q is the better start? or even a K-Sx style K mount body?

I still think EVF is in it's infancy.. it has a ways, in general, before it is fully matured as a technology. And Pentax seems to be risk adverse. With 'risk' being 'total paradigm change', in this situation. I've been surprised before yet I'd be very surprised if Ricoh took mirrorless to Pentax really soon (as in within a year).
12-03-2016, 09:51 PM   #666
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If I am correct and MILC is applied to the lower end of the ILC line, they may drop the in-body focus motor, because the line of KAF3-KAF4 lenses, limited as it is, will be adequate for most lower-tier users. I would miss AF in my Sigma 10-20, but I would be quite satisfied in general to replace my K-30 by a K-07 under those conditions, and I'm guessing I'm relatively representative of the natural audience for that technology change.
12-03-2016, 11:03 PM   #667
Pentaxian

It's growing into a system that I'm concerned about. If going into mirrorless will allow me to use my existing lenses without using an adaptor then, that would be painless. Then, it would be worth investing into more lenses that I can use now and in the future. If the kAF3 won't work on future cameras then that is a painful change. I can't go fully to KAF4 as I bought my k-5II just 2+ years ago. In a span of 2+ years I've added a K-3II and more lenses and I would like to use them for a long long time. I went into Pentax as Olympus killed 4/3 and building a new system is costly and painful. I really don't want to go through that again.

12-04-2016, 06:33 AM - 1 Like   #668
Veteran Member

If I am correct and MILC is applied to the lower end of the ILC line, they may drop the in-body focus motor, because the line of KAF3-KAF4 lenses, limited as it is, will be adequate for most lower-tier users.
They'd have to upgrade a couple more lenses before that though. Some of the lenses most popular with 'lower-tier users' are the DA 35 and DA 50, both of which are screw-driven.
12-04-2016, 04:35 PM   #669
mee
Veteran Member

It's growing into a system that I'm concerned about. If going into mirrorless will allow me to use my existing lenses without using an adaptor then, that would be painless. Then, it would be worth investing into more lenses that I can use now and in the future. If the kAF3 won't work on future cameras then that is a painful change. I can't go fully to KAF4 as I bought my k-5II just 2+ years ago. In a span of 2+ years I've added a K-3II and more lenses and I would like to use them for a long long time. I went into Pentax as Olympus killed 4/3 and building a new system is costly and painful. I really don't want to go through that again.
Who is to say they're done with firmware releases for KAF4? Let's wait a little longer before coming to that conclusion..
12-27-2016, 08:12 PM   #670
Pentaxian

New news too quick will sink the K1 too early ! but I wished for another FF that smaller and lighter than the K1, better with grip built into the body in one piece, also more lenses !
12-27-2016, 09:15 PM   #671
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Keep wishing.
12-27-2016, 09:32 PM - 2 Likes   #672
Veteran Member

I wish for nothing now.... there... just had to say it.
12-28-2016, 06:05 AM   #673
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
I wish for nothing now.... there... just had to say it.
... and until September 25, 2018.
Neither do I
12-28-2016, 05:31 PM   #674
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
... and until September 25, 2018.
Neither do I
Are you a "Traveler"
12-29-2016, 02:31 AM   #675
Pentaxian

Without "cheque", probably