Show Printable Version 186 Likes Search this Thread
09-20-2016, 04:59 AM   #46
Pentaxian

They'll do better at CP+ 2017...

...or later.

09-20-2016, 05:03 AM   #47
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
As for K-1 lenses, we know they are working on them, but I guess they aren't going to show them.
We do know they are working on FF primes, but the APS-C UWA has been sitting on the roadmap for four years now, and no one can seriously know whether any work is done on that.

QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
I've said it many times, and i say it again. Nothing major new things from Pentax this time.
Does 'major' only apply to cameras, or also lenses?
09-20-2016, 05:05 AM - 3 Likes   #48
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The only problem is,it's nothing ready enough to show it at Photokina.
But I will have a couple of meetings and talks at Photokina and will keep you informed with the stuff what's OK or semi OK to talk about.
Best regards
09-20-2016, 05:17 AM   #49

It is not good marketing if Pentax doesn't show anything new, or some other developments. The consumers want to see the ambition, but Ricoh is too silence. Maybe it is true that nothing is well prepared, and they don't have certain target to release the products. Oh well.

09-20-2016, 05:18 AM   #50
Forum Member

Asahi man, please see if there is an indication that the Q system is at least on life support.
09-20-2016, 05:19 AM   #51
Banned

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by asahi man Quote
The only problem is,it's nothing ready enough to show it at Photokina.
But I will have a couple of meetings and talks at Photokina and will keep you informed with the stuff what's OK or semi OK to talk about.
Best regards
Answer about Q would be great.
09-20-2016, 05:32 AM   #52

where are the k-mount lenses? Even Fuji manages to bring 6 MF lenses with their announcement. With Sigma announcing again some great lenses but not for K-mount I do really want some _new_ lenses, especially primes, be it f/4 for smaller size or f/1.4 for speed :-/.

09-20-2016, 05:33 AM - 1 Like   #53
Pentaxian

6 new lenses announced to be made available within 6 to 18 month....

We even get the specs, good time for concurrence to counter-act
09-20-2016, 05:57 AM   #54
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
6 new lenses announced to be made available within 6 to 18 month....
2017 or later says roadmap. The aps-c wide zoom is on the roadmap for 2016 (june 2016) or later. I guess that is also later.
09-20-2016, 06:00 AM - 2 Likes   #55
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
The aps-c wide zoom is on the roadmap for 2016 (june 2016) or later. I guess that is also later.
And it has been sitting on the roadmap for over four years. I have wanted an UWA for some time now, and it's really quite simple - if Pentax doesn't announce it this Photokina (and it doesn't seem like it will), I'll buy a Sigma and Pentax loses out on my money. I want WR, but I also want to take pictures and not wait for years.
09-20-2016, 06:08 AM   #56
Pentaxian

It is not impossible taking pictures with non-wr lenses you know.
09-20-2016, 06:10 AM   #57
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
It is not impossible taking pictures with non-wr lenses you know.
I know. But if you live in Scotland and spend time in the Highlands, as I do, you really want WR And just plainly a Pentax lens with a higher optical quality than the 10-20 Sigmas, and ideally a built-in AF (unlike the Sigma 10-20 f/4-5.6) ...

But if Pentax don't want to deliver, I'll have to buy elsewhere.
09-20-2016, 06:22 AM - 5 Likes   #58
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Show like this are huge expenses for the companies involved. Having helped set up equipment at Print Expo in Chicago in 1997 I made a decision to never volunteer for that experience again. Booth space is expensive. The cost to support the personnel working the show is very expensive. Exactly how much return can you expect for your effort? There happens to be a pretty severe world wide recession going on right now. Announcements that thing will be available in the next 6 to 18 months are an indication of this. It seems to be a very cautious approach to me. Nothing like the good old days.

Ricoh is more of a business imaging company than a consumer imaging company. Quite frankly they get a lot more press if they make major consumer product announcements outside the big shows. Any news during a "slow" time gets more press. At Photokina, the media is running around looking at Nikon, Canon, and Sony toys. Pentax is less of an afterthought that it was when I joined this site in 2012, but it is still no where near being a major player. In this day of almost instantaneous worldwide communication, shows like this are a bit of an anachronism. They have pretty much had their day. More and more companies are wondering if they are worth the expense.

Ricoh has been very good for Pentax. I have said this before and I still believe it to be true. They have put some life back into a venerable brand with a loyal following. When I joined this site in 2012 after almost 15 years of not bothering with serious photography at all. Pentax seemed to be on life support and a hand was on the plug. Ricoh has pumped some life into it and things are better than they have been for Pentax in a long time, If I didn't see the prospect for Pentax improving over the years I would have jumped to Nikon. Since the whole SLR to DSLR switch entailed a pretty steep learning curve for me, switching systems would not have been a big deal. Except for the not having made the acquaintances I have made here and learning how important squirrels are to our daily lives.
09-20-2016, 06:35 AM - 1 Like   #59
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
In this day of almost instantaneous worldwide communication, shows like this are a bit of an anachronism. They have pretty much had their day.
You could be right that they won't be financially viable for much longer, but the first-hand Photokina experience is nothing like the second-hand hand information you get from the internet.

When I attended Photokina in 2014, I was not only impressed by the displays (gear and attraction pieces alike) but also amazed of how readily company representatives were prepared to have "between you and me" conversations. I received more confidential facts in a single day than I had read internet rumours all year. It was also truly great to be able to engage in personal communication with some of the designers behind the products we use.

I hope shows like this one will survive.

P.S.: And yes, I agree: Ricoh has done well (not "good") this year!
09-20-2016, 07:07 AM - 1 Like   #60
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
P.S.: And yes, I agree: Ricoh has done well (not "good") this year!
While maybe not Salvation Army-type levels, I'm sure a lot of people here would consider finally getting the K-1 out to be a case of doing some good.