Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-20-2016, 07:15 AM - 1 Like   #61
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Scintilla Quote
While maybe not Salvation Army-type levels, I'm sure a lot of people here would consider finally getting the K-1 out to be a case of doing some good.
I think that comment was a grammar commentary. Well is an adverb capable of modifying verbs. Good is an adjective used to modify nouns. Ricoh can't "be doing" good. They can be doing well.

09-20-2016, 07:26 AM - 1 Like   #62
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
What's a bit worrying is that the primes lenses envisioned for the K1 have somehow disappeared from the last roadmap, and while their where some hint of prime lenses pictures along with K1 special web site, it would be weird if those lenses aren't show cased at photokina. We would like to see some hint of continued developments... Lets hope for big positive surprises in 2017.
With the improvements in zoom lens technology, there may not be much of a market for prime lenses - not much of a biz case for developing them.
09-20-2016, 07:41 AM   #63
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
I know. But if you live in Scotland and spend time in the Highlands, as I do, you really want WR And just plainly a Pentax lens with a higher optical quality than the 10-20 Sigmas, and ideally a built-in AF (unlike the Sigma 10-20 f/4-5.6) ...

But if Pentax don't want to deliver, I'll have to buy elsewhere.
Would you mind telling us which weather sealed motorized UWA zoom wider than 12mm you're planning to buy by going to another brand ?
09-20-2016, 07:45 AM - 1 Like   #64
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by CarlJF Quote
Would you mind telling us which weather sealed motorized UWA zoom wider than 12mm you're planning to buy by going to another brand ?
I thought his point was clear. It will likely be Sigma and not WR.

09-20-2016, 07:51 AM   #65
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
And it has been sitting on the roadmap for over four years. I have wanted an UWA for some time now, and it's really quite simple - if Pentax doesn't announce it this Photokina (and it doesn't seem like it will), I'll buy a Sigma and Pentax loses out on my money. I want WR, but I also want to take pictures and not wait for years.
You could have done what I did; buying a used Sigma, and whenever Pentax is available you can decide to upgrade or not. I believe it ends up a relatively low cost lens rent.
09-20-2016, 07:58 AM   #66
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I thought his point was clear. It will likely be Sigma and not WR.
Well, for me "buying elsewhere" doesn't clearly means "buying a non WR Sigma lens". But I must admit I may be kind of a slow witted guy!
09-20-2016, 08:03 AM   #67
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by CarlJF Quote
Well, for me "buying elsewhere" doesn't clearly means "buying a non WR Sigma lens". But I must admit I may be kind of a slow witted guy!
Look back two posts from the one you quoted.

---------- Post added 09-20-16 at 11:03 AM ----------

And it has been sitting on the roadmap for over four years. I have wanted an UWA for some time now, and it's really quite simple - if Pentax doesn't announce it this Photokina (and it doesn't seem like it will), I'll buy a Sigma and Pentax loses out on my money. I want WR, but I also want to take pictures and not wait for years.
This post...

09-20-2016, 08:04 AM   #68
Veteran Member

PS, not everybody know that Pentax make a FF K-1, Pentaxian yes but they need new cutomer and that what it's important at that show.
09-20-2016, 08:15 AM   #69

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
...they (Ricoh) get a lot more press if they make major consumer product announcements outside the big shows. Any news during a "slow" time gets more press. At Photokina, the media is running around looking at Nikon, Canon, and Sony toys...
I think this sums up the reasoning behind Ricoh's approach to Photokina nicely. If I recall, 2014 was a fairly low key affair for Pentax..
09-20-2016, 08:41 AM   #70
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
2017 or later says roadmap. The aps-c wide zoom is on the roadmap for 2016 (june 2016) or later. I guess that is also later.
We don't speak of the same thing, 6 lenses for Fuji GF.
09-20-2016, 09:00 AM   #71
Banned

Somehow I think that saving the launch for K-70 in this week would be smarter. Or just save money and rent half the space at Photokina.
09-20-2016, 09:05 AM   #72
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
You could be right that they won't be financially viable for much longer, but the first-hand Photokina experience is nothing like the second-hand hand information you get from the internet.

When I attended Photokina in 2014, I was not only impressed by the displays (gear and attraction pieces alike) but also amazed of how readily company representatives were prepared to have "between you and me" conversations. I received more confidential facts in a single day than I had read internet rumours all year. It was also truly great to be able to engage in personal communication with some of the designers behind the products we use.

I hope shows like this one will survive.

P.S.: And yes, I agree: Ricoh has done well (not "good") this year!
I agree as to how great these shows are from many perspectives, but when one looks at financial return on investment, I am wondering if they deliver the bang for the buck that they used to. From a personal contacts point of view they are awesome.

As to the "just between you and me" conversations, they do little to affect the corporate bottom line. Unless you are an industrial spy. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.
09-20-2016, 09:44 AM - 1 Like   #73
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Theta alone pays for the booth.
09-20-2016, 10:09 AM   #74
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
I agree as to how great these shows are from many perspectives, but when one looks at financial return on investment, I am wondering if they deliver the bang for the buck that they used to.
If you sell via bricks & mortar / shops, the trade fair is a unique opportunity to "train" the vendors about the new products. So, for Canon, being at Photokina is a meeting with a lot of dealers and purchasers. For Ricoh imaging , the same , except that their mass market approach is a bit skewed, since they sell via a limited number of dealers and online, which can be managed without a trade fair. However, if Ricoh wanted to increase their presence via brick&mortar dealers, they'd better sync the product releases with trade fair agendas. Fuji are doing it, and, Fuji is still very well represented in shops.
09-20-2016, 10:15 AM   #75
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Theta alone pays for the booth.
Well then they should put Theta on a more prominent spot in r&d and bring new products.

O wow, that was my idea earlier this year.......

Your response:
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome:
I'm really concerned about you. This is so irrational it worries me.