Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-20-2016, 10:15 AM   #76
Pentaxian

Pentax could also disontinue some cameras/lenses to tell customers where Pentax wants to be in a couple years...

Sigma releases the 1.4/85 - now all other companies can release their glass. Nikon was afraid of this lens, so they presente a 1.4/105. Canon did niether do anything to the 2/135 nor to the 1.2/85 yet. Tamron shows f/1.8 only glass... Time for all of them including Pentax to present their new short tele photo primes. A lens diameter of 86 mm for the new Sigma is double plus huge. It makes sense, but in that case f/1.8 is more reasonable.

Pentax will show something new, maybe mockups, something unexpected at photokina...

09-20-2016, 10:33 AM   #77
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Well then they should put Theta on a more prominent spot in r&d and bring new products.
They're about to release the fourth iteration in three years, and we don't know yet if they're working on a commercial application. They're really simple devices - standard, branded MicroSD card for storage and a standard, RICOH camera battery for power, but permanently enclosed in the body.

Last edited by monochrome; 09-20-2016 at 10:38 AM.
09-20-2016, 11:14 AM   #78
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
No much new at photokina. Normal. With the kick in the back that Pentax K1 received at DPReview regarding AF tracking performance, all the engineers of Pentax must be focusing on a new AF module, and so, they have no time to play around for folks who enjoy crusty rumors and be wowed by products that they don't buy (Fuji MF... how many Pentaxians who can't afford to buy a K1 having already K mount lenses, are able to afford a Fuji MF?).
09-20-2016, 11:51 AM   #79
Pentaxian

No, it's not normal - it means their plans for this Photokina were postponed.

09-20-2016, 11:55 AM   #80
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
No, it's not normal - it means their plans for this Photokina were postponed.
Given the implication of the Pentax Europe lens questionnaire from earlier this year I have an idea how their priorities might have shifted.

They should also spend some time and money building their distribution infrastructure, especially in N.A.
09-20-2016, 12:15 PM   #81
Pentaxian

No, that can't be a shift in priorities. Rather, products not being ready - perhaps component supply issues, perhaps development takes longer than estimated, perhaps not enough production capacity (trying to catch up with demand for existing products).
09-20-2016, 12:34 PM   #82
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
...They should also spend some time and money building their distribution infrastructure, especially in N.A.
Shhh! The last time they claimed to build N.A. infrastructure we got M.A.P. without any infrastructure

(M.A.P. was way back under Hoya so I don't blame Ricoh for that. Ricoh USA did inflict Precision Camera on me, though.)

09-20-2016, 01:21 PM - 3 Likes   #83
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I think that comment was a grammar commentary. Well is an adverb capable of modifying verbs. Good is an adjective used to modify nouns. Ricoh can't "be doing" good. They can be doing well.
Oh believe me, I'm as militant of a grammarian as anyone; and while I can't find the original post that Class A was referring to, I'm sure it probably was a case of mixing up "well" and "good". I just decided to turn it around and give it a context where "do good" would have been the correct phrase -- where "good" is a noun and not an adjective. Hence my mention of the Salvation Army (I was alluding to their advertising slogan "doing the most good") to try to make my intent clearer.

Ricoh working to end world hunger or something like that would unequivocally be doing good. The K-1 release isn't on that level, but I was attempting to imply that it put an end to so much anxious suffering over here that it ought to count for something.

And now that the joke has been thoroughly explained to death, I'm going to go back to my corner now...
09-20-2016, 01:25 PM - 1 Like   #84
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Lots of anguish over grammar an usage. Don't worry it is all well and good.
09-20-2016, 02:06 PM   #85
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Scintilla Quote
Oh believe me, I'm as militant of a grammarian as anyone; and while I can't find the original post that Class A was referring to, I'm sure it probably was a case of mixing up "well" and "good". I just decided to turn it around and give it a context where "do good" would have been the correct phrase -- where "good" is a noun and not an adjective. Hence my mention of the Salvation Army (I was alluding to their advertising slogan "doing the most good") to try to make my intent clearer.

Ricoh working to end world hunger or something like that would unequivocally be doing good. The K-1 release isn't on that level, but I was attempting to imply that it put an end to so much anxious suffering over here that it ought to count for something.

And now that the joke has been thoroughly explained to death, I'm going to go back to my corner now...
I love it. Beaten to death it still made me chuckle...
09-20-2016, 03:31 PM   #86

Ricoh... you're killing me.. where is the rumored 100MP 645 update!?
09-20-2016, 05:04 PM   #87

I'm only slightly disappointed. Still riding high from the release of the K-1. New glass will come when it comes. I filled out the questionnaire so I know Ricoh has heard me. I don't expect them to have my D FA * 85mm f:1.2 WR lens ready overnight.

09-20-2016, 05:22 PM   #88

Photos: Albums
I generally have problems with companies that can't communicate with their users. I was hoping to gain some clarity this year, as to what the specs of the planned primes might be, and thus I don't even know if the Pentax lenses are worth waiting for, or if they're even a priority for Pentax right now. Meanwhile Pentax is slowly disappearing form the 3rd party lens market, which is worrisome. You'd think it'd be in Pentax's best interest to use the press available to them to assuage concerns or even just provide updates to their existing customer base. A simple "we're working on a FA Ltd 77mm Mk II" would be a great step in informing my decisions.

---------- Post added 09-20-16 at 05:23 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by vZwicky Quote
I'm only slightly disappointed. Still riding high from the release of the K-1. New glass will come when it comes. I filled out the questionnaire so I know Ricoh has heard me. I don't expect them to have my D FA * 85mm f:1.2 WR lens ready overnight.
If this lens came to be, I'd have to change pants. Thrice.
09-20-2016, 05:53 PM   #89
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by brokeh Quote
I generally have problems with companies that can't communicate with their users. I was hoping to gain some clarity this year, as to what the specs of the planned primes might be, and thus I don't even know if the Pentax lenses are worth waiting for, or if they're even a priority for Pentax right now. Meanwhile Pentax is slowly disappearing form the 3rd party lens market, which is worrisome. You'd think it'd be in Pentax's best interest to use the press available to them to assuage concerns or even just provide updates to their existing customer base. A simple "we're working on a FA Ltd 77mm Mk II" would be a great step in informing my decisions.

---------- Post added 09-20-16 at 05:23 PM ----------

If this lens came to be, I'd have to change pants. Thrice.
I do not think Pentax nowadays has optical engineers who can make an affordable DFA 85 1.2 ... Their development is very slow... Not to mention that it has Pentax Q, APS, full frame and MF, product lines longer than Nikon and Canon for DSLR with fractions of sales... Every year they can only release one camera (with some major upgrades) and one lens(with some major improvement)..
09-20-2016, 06:19 PM   #90

Up until the release of the K-1, there wasn't a need to release a slew of lenses every year. Though there were some gaps, the APS-C line was fairly well fleshed out. I would hope they step up the pace to about 3 FF lenses per year, even if some of those are updates of existing lenses. Nothing was promised before 2017, so I'll start the clock on January 1st.

And yea, maybe an 85 f:1.2 is asking for a lot. I'd be happy with a more modest f:1.8 and superb optics, but would rather they not skimp on the build quality and WR.