Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 186 Likes Search this Thread
09-28-2016, 05:47 PM - 3 Likes   #376
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by SeaRefractor Quote
I agree that it's not likely to occur. But I believe plug-in replacements are possible. There are numerous examples of different parts manufacturers having drop in replacements. Check the number of threads out in Google scape that help smartphone owners determine which of two sensor products they have in their phone. Granted the optical precision or lack of it with a smartphone doesn't directly relate, but it is an example of purpose built drop-in replacements.

Since the CMOS sensor parts are manufactured with x-ray lithography and the tolerances are so small even new generation electron microscopes have difficulty viewing them, it's all a matter of Pentax providing the exact foot print and connector layout. Any electronics chip fab worth their salt should be able to provide sub micron accurate parts to the manufacturer's specification. Gone are the days of white lab coat engineers with calipers measuring the part tolerances, those are not even precise enough at these microscopic measurements.If a little dust or minor scratches on the lens don't show up in a measurable way on photographs, sub micron differences are not going to be detectable to any human eye.

Even with that technical possibility, I have been persuaded from the thread that Pentax with a cost perspective and the likelihood that Sony is hard at work to return to prior levels of production this wouldn't make sense. I also understand that you may have been referring to just taking any sensor off the shelf which would require a full redesign as you'd stated but my viewpoint was for a specifically designed sensor for Pentax.
First, Pentax doesn't own the sensor design so it can't give it to Samsung or another supplier to get a second source.

Second, knowing the layout of a high-performance sensor chip isn't sufficient. You have to replicate the process (fab equipment, chemicals, temperatures, pressures, times, etc.). In high-end chip making, they even worry about exactly which suppliers are providing the basic chemicals. Differences in minute impurities in baseline chemicals such as hydrogen peroxide or hydrochloric acid can affect yield and chip performance. It's the chemistry inside the silicon and layers that determines well depth (baseline ISO), read noise, leakage, line resistance, pixel clock speeds, etc.

The fact that Canon has tried for years to replicate the performance of Sony sensors proves how hard it is to make very large, high megapixel, high pixel clock, high DR sensors.

09-28-2016, 06:13 PM   #377
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
I do think Ricoh this year made a mistake by not showing anything about the lenses in development. They need to convince people that those lenses are on the way, because they are fighting the perception that they have gaps in the line-up. Even if they had just added the focal lengths and max. apertures, it would have been something.
Agreed. Maybe Ricoh doesn't have the vision we think they do. Maybe they don't have anything to show. They are terrible communicators and marketers..... and not very good at getting product out the door on schedule. Luckily they make good stuff.
09-28-2016, 10:16 PM - 1 Like   #378
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
Agreed. Maybe Ricoh doesn't have the vision we think they do. Maybe they don't have anything to show. They are terrible communicators and marketers..... and not very good at getting product out the door on schedule. Luckily they make good stuff.
There is an interview on DPR where the Ricoh reps claim they want to be the 'leading company for DSLRs' -- pretty large words! Someone on there also commented that Ricoh reps also claimed, a few years back, that they wanted to be the leader in autofocus... and that is still a work in progress.

Still don't think we can trust the interviews too much.. they seem like hype and hyperbole to get people to buy, buy, buy!!

Asahi man's comments, I think, give us a nice look at behind the scenes.. but to me it seems they are a very Japanese company with a very Japanese approach to their company...
09-29-2016, 12:08 AM   #379
Banned

Photos: Gallery
At DPR they make a commercial speech. Nothing wrong with it. They are not going to lead in af or dslr anytime soon. Being so Japanese orientated is a problem for them to connect with modern western customers over time.

09-29-2016, 04:46 AM   #380
Veteran Member

!!! Attention !!! Q is out of production !!!

!!! Project Q is on ice,maybe over,maybe paused !!!
I asked different persons again,cause of the interview with the informations it is off.

Last edited by asahi man; 09-29-2016 at 05:14 AM.
09-29-2016, 04:57 AM   #381
Pentaxian

So they are selling of stock? Or will it be produced again when stocks are depleted?
09-29-2016, 04:59 AM   #382
gri

asahi men 10x for sharing with us the hot info. One question ... Can we expect new macro lens next year

09-29-2016, 05:43 AM   #383
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by asahi man Quote

I asked different persons again,cause of the interview with the informations it is off.
But I thought in the interview the Pentax rep said it's going to continue. Wow! What a news! Is Pentax trying to confuse us?
09-29-2016, 05:57 AM   #384
Veteran Member

For me it looks like,they are in brainstorming about Q.
It looks like a 50 50 chance for production end or pause.
09-29-2016, 06:14 AM   #385
Banned

Not a surprise to me.
09-29-2016, 06:25 AM   #386
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
There is an interview on DPR where the Ricoh reps claim they want to be the 'leading company for DSLRs' -- pretty large words! Someone on there also commented that Ricoh reps also claimed, a few years back, that they wanted to be the leader in autofocus... and that is still a work in progress.
I noticed that - I think a bit of "aim for the stars and you might reach the moon" thinking is at work.
09-29-2016, 06:36 AM   #387
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Not a surprise to me.
Yes,same for me.
The market for Q exists only in Japan,maybe only to small.
09-29-2016, 07:00 AM   #388
Veteran Member

I have to admit I never actually 'got' the Q. I mean, interchangeable lenses are all about decent image quality (if you're more into flexibility you might as well use a compact camera with a 24-200 mm zoom), so why reduce that quality by putting a tiny sensor in there?

I realise that some people here love the Q and will be sad to see it disappear, but I can't say I am unhappy about this - more time and R&D resources for DSLR that way.
09-29-2016, 07:06 AM   #389
Veteran Member

Which basically means for me that I should get a Q-S1 if I want to enjoy the Q-system as long as possible in the future?

Tx!! Wim
09-29-2016, 07:11 AM   #390
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
more time and R&D resources for DSLR that way.
That's probably part of it, plus -
  • It may have run it's course in Japan
  • They might be looking at a different MILC format
  • There might be something much larger in the pipeline
  • It was a Hoya product anyway
What else?