Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-29-2016, 07:18 AM   #391
Banned

Photos: Gallery

Time to look at 2017.

- K-mount full frame
This will bring new lenses. Maybe the 5 on the roadmap, but probably just 3 or 4. Developing costs more time then one wants. So probably the 24, 50 and 85 or around that. Maybe upgrading the 200mm and 300mm lens with DC motor and kaf4. No new body or upgrade to the K-1.

- K-mount aps-c
A new Hi end body to replace K-3ii is expected. Probably no new lenses, but maybe some upgrades of current lenses to HD coating, DC motor and Kaf4 mount. With the current lenses, K-70 and new K-* and some outrunning models on sale there is plenty on offer.

No new body. Probably a new lens. On the roadmap there is a standardzoom and a tele zoom to develop. Maybe also an upgrade to an older lens like they did with the 35mm lens. The 150mm lens is likely for that.

- GR
Probably nothing new. Unless they are upgrading to a 24mp sensor in 2017.

- Action camera
New version of WG-M series could be done. Just better image quality and ready. For the WG-5 I don't expect a new version.

- point & shoot
Looks like this is dead. They could order a new bridge model made by JK Imaging and brand it Pentax or Ricoh, but probably don't.

- Q
This looks dead. I don't expect anything for it in 2017.

- Theta
I expect a new model. Maybe the follower to Theta S will come in 2016. I still expect a new one in 2017. Bringing 4K video is important. Maybe there will be a second more professional model, but that is difficult. Maybe even a Ricoh branded VR glass will come.

- Surprises
Who knows. Could be done. A new lens not on any roadmap. A new flash or anything for that. Maybe a K-mount milc. A new aps-c milc with new mount. Or any phantasie product. Could also be nothing at all in this categorie in 2017.

Last edited by RonHendriks1966; 09-29-2016 at 07:23 AM.
09-29-2016, 07:20 AM   #392
Pentaxian

The egress of Q would could simply mean the start of a more serious mirrorless from Ricoh, brace! ^^,
09-29-2016, 07:28 AM   #393
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by asahi man Quote
For me it looks like,they are in brainstorming about Q.
A new 1 inch or m4/3 Q system?
It would be a mistake to abandon mirrorless.
My next camera will be a mirrorless camera. I want to be a new Pentax / Ricoh camera.
09-29-2016, 07:32 AM   #394
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
- Surprises
Who knows. Could be done. A new lens not on any roadmap. A new flash or anything for that. Maybe a K-mount milc. A new aps-c milc with new mount. Or any phantasie product. Could also be nothing at all in this categorie in 2017.
I would add a P-TTL radio flash trigger in this category. It's not a luxury in 2017 and would make many flash users really happy...and surprised! It's also not something that should put R&D dept. on its knees.

09-29-2016, 07:34 AM   #395
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by CarlJF Quote
I would add a P-TTL radio flash trigger in this category. It's not a luxury in 2017 and would make many flash users really happy...and surprised! It's also not something that should put R&D dept. on its knees.
That came to my mind. Can be done and isn't to expensive. Probably not in 2017.
09-29-2016, 07:54 AM   #396
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by CarlJF Quote
I would add a P-TTL radio flash trigger in this category.
Does it have to write Pentax on it?
20_09_Metz_Wireless_Trigger_WT-1: Metz
09-29-2016, 07:59 AM   #397
Veteran Member

I always assumed the Q was just a test platform for mirrorless technology. A low cost way to get into the market and develop technology.

I think there is a market for a mirrorless K-mount with EVF. Ricoh could make a K-mount version of the A-77 or A-99 if they update lenses. That is what is holding Sony back. Many of the premium lenses are not SSM and SSM lenses are the only ones compatible with the AF-D system. The speed and accuracy of the AF-D system has a lot of potential.

09-29-2016, 08:02 AM   #398
Pentaxian

I always assumed the Q was born out of Pentax engineers' frustration that they aren't allowed to do more. And, boy, what they did with such a compact package...
09-29-2016, 08:22 AM   #399
Veteran Member

I would love to see a m3/4 Q", in factor form of a k1000 but smaller, lots of very good lenses and the retro style could drag some attention

09-29-2016, 08:53 AM   #400
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
I noticed that - I think a bit of "aim for the stars and you might reach the moon" thinking is at work.
Yes,I quite agree with that
That's realistic,inclusive the one or another nice surprise.
09-29-2016, 09:26 AM   #401
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by virusn3t Quote
I would love to see a m3/4 Q", in factor form of a k1000 but smaller, lots of very good lenses and the retro style could drag some attention
If pentax made and M43 camera, they should make a k-mount to m43 adapter that could transmit data, AF control and magnify an aps-c image circle down to m43. That would be glorious.
09-29-2016, 09:27 AM   #402
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I noticed that - I think a bit of "aim for the stars and you might reach the moon" thinking is at work.
I've always found that expression amusing. Can you imagine if NASA engineers really did aim for a nearby star and somehow ended up landing their space craft on the moon? It would be a pretty astounding failure, I'm guessing.
09-29-2016, 09:32 AM   #403
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I've always found that expression amusing. Can you imagine if NASA engineers really did aim for a nearby star and somehow ended up landing their space craft on the moon? It would be a pretty astounding failure, I'm guessing.
yes - I do agree with that - I don't normally use the expression myself, but it does stand for an attitude that does have some validity in a way that I don't know another expression to do - maybe somebody can suggest one?
09-29-2016, 09:45 AM   #404
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Time to look at 2017.

- GR
Probably nothing new. Unless they are upgrading to a 24mp sensor in 2017.
Ricoh said in dpreview interview that they would produce more version of GR.
09-29-2016, 09:49 AM   #405
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
yes - I do agree with that - I don't normally use the expression myself, but it does stand for an attitude that does have some validity in a way that I don't know another expression to do - maybe somebody can suggest one?
The original statement refers to the effort required to reach the Earth's moon in 1969. If you're younger, you don't realize how much science had to stretch to accomplish that. In 1977, I was doing some consulting work, and my girlfriend at the time talked about how neat it would be to have an appropriate computer in the trunk of my car. The computing power in my smartphone is much greater than what they were able to package into the Apollo capsule in 1969 ... or than what I would have stuffed into the trunk of my car in 1977.