Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 186 Likes Search this Thread
09-30-2016, 12:32 AM   #436
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
It doesn't come cheap, but with Nikon you can do a lot more with flashes. Just read into Joe Mcnally.

You really expect that in 2017? To me that looks like 2018......or later.
Yes. I think new GRIII will be next year. And maybe, GRIV too

09-30-2016, 12:54 AM   #437
Banned

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Let's hear it from you, Ron ...
Well i'm not putting time into that. Read a book and spend as much money as needed.

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Yes. I think new GRIII will be next year. And maybe, GRIV too
We will see......
09-30-2016, 01:12 AM   #438
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Well i'm not putting time into that. Read a book and spend as much money as needed.
I thought so, Ron.

Just like you thinking Metz would be pioneers by bringing HSS triggers to K-mount, you don't understand either the Pentax or Nikon flash systems.

I'll buy a book for you. Got a birthday coming up? ;-)

09-30-2016, 01:49 AM - 1 Like   #439
Pentaxian

But Reed, how is that any different from Canon or Nikon? You always need a controller/master with them, too.
Yes. But both have lightweight non optical genuine flash triggering/master control systems- Canon -ST-R3-RT, Nikon-Su-800. You don't have to use master flash on hotshoe. And both are pleasure to use. Nikon one have also very effective AF assist beam built in. There is no single hint that this will come for Pentax.
Third party product availability is a different matter, you didn't pick Pentax for that, neither do Olympus or Fuji owners.
I'm not blaming Pentax/Ricoh for third party distribution, that was not my point. But the market options are quite low number, compared to other systems. If there was genuine Pentax trigger/master controler- I would go for it.
Pretend you are standing (I'm looking at your profile) with your K-S2 next to your buddy with a Canon 750D. You both have bought one or two speedlights, maybe second hand ... what are you missing compared to him?
Assume we both have two TTL strobes for example Metz52 -He will have ability to control an off-camera flash by using the pop-up flash as the wireless controller. -He wins.Can use both of them without one of them on camera hot shoe. Secondly-he can use any third party, or genuine trigger/reciever Ettl system to control them. I dont have any option to do that for now except- Cactus, that I can't buy anywhere around my place, and Acon that I dont trust a bit. Still I can live with it.

Assume we both have 2 YN560III and RF603II trigger-it works fine.Full manual but fine. Range around 50 meters when put into closed softbox on a stand/for bare flash-around 80 meters(I checked this out few times just for fun).- Same situation for both of us. Both we can use also master wireless controler YN522, or master flash YN560IV non opticaly etc.
On that matter we are both good to go.

Dude with 750D can also use "on-camera" flash AF asist beam with any ttl strobe that have it. I can use only white led of genuine FGZ360II and FGZ540II,or that little green led on camera body. Other options are not working.Even mark I FGZ540. I have reported that situation to Metz(I have Metz52-af1). It was two months ago-no word from them with news other than that they passed it to R&D.

09-30-2016, 03:53 AM - 2 Likes   #440
Pentaxian

And for all the Total Light fantasists, I can tell you that whether a m43 or MF camera is used, the exposure is absolutely the same ... typically f8, 1/125s, ISO 100 ... across all sensor sizes, and we had one guy with a Hassy on the day.
Of course the same settings work across all sensor sizes. They produce the same light intensity (light per square mm) on every sensor, no matter how big it is.

You can bet your bottom dollar, though, that the Hassy collected more light than the m43 camera. You'd notice if you tried to blow up the images from both cameras to poster size. Guess which one will look better? And why does it look better? Because the Hassy collected more light.

Way to kill a thread...

This thread has outlived its usefulness anyhow, so goodbye.
09-30-2016, 08:46 AM   #441
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Tan68 Quote
Well... according to some people, NASA shot for the moon but ended up in New Mexico, USA
I thought it was staged in Nevada?
09-30-2016, 06:06 PM   #442
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rangercarp Quote
I thought it was staged in Nevada?
I am not certain.. I always thought it was New Mexico but maybe I am conflating Area 54..

09-30-2016, 06:36 PM - 4 Likes   #443
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tan68 Quote
I am not certain.. I always thought it was New Mexico but maybe I am conflating Area 54..
No, that was on Broadway.. lots of disco lights and curiously dressed people.

You're thinking of Studio 51 in the desert.
09-30-2016, 07:12 PM   #444
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Of course the same settings work across all sensor sizes. They produce the same light intensity (light per square mm) on every sensor, no matter how big it is.

You can bet your bottom dollar, though, that the Hassy collected more light than the m43 camera.
That is not entirely correct. Flashes designed for Leica type format systems (3:2) are not designed for 4:3 format systems. And if someone would decide to start a digital square format (1:1), that too would influence construction of the flash unit.
09-30-2016, 07:28 PM   #445
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Reed Quote
Yes. But both have lightweight non optical genuine flash triggering/master control systems- Canon -ST-R3-RT, Nikon-Su-800.

The Nikon is optical ... it just uses IR, Reed.

The Canon is not intrinsic to the Canon system - in fact, it's an exception. It works only with those RT-600EX speedlights, not anything else they or anyone else sell. It's as if it's a third party product.

If there was genuine Pentax trigger/master controler- I would go for it..

I wouldn't wait, Reed. I have the Acon and Aokotec, they both work, the Cactus V6 II has been used by forum member @fwbigd to drive with HSS a Godox Nikon-compatible strobe, the upcoming Metz looks good.

Most Canon and Nikon owners *don't* use their own brand triggers, they use Pocket Wizards, Cowboys, Cactus, Yongnuo, etc - we're no different.

Assume we both have two TTL strobes for example Metz52 -He will have ability to control an off-camera flash by using the pop-up flash as the wireless controller...

Optical triggers are a dead end, Reed. Rightly or wrongly, manufacturers know that this is an era of cheap radio transceivers, and that's why popup flashes are being left out of bodies or degraded in specs. It annoys me as well as you, since the Pentax system itself certainly supports a pop-up controller, it's been there on lots of other models.

We can get caught up with specific examples rather than system differences. His 750D has the pop-up commander, your K-S2 doesn't, if he had a 5D MkIII he doesn't even have an inbuilt flash, just like my K-1.
09-30-2016, 07:32 PM   #446
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Because the Hassy collected more light.

Nope, Class A, it's because it has more pixels and the full well capacity of the pixels, and the technology behind the electronics, nothing to do with 'Equivalence' or the size of the wafer they're on. That would be the tail wagging the dog.

Someone at our photo shoot multiplying their aperture by a crop factor would represent a 'fail'.

Last edited by clackers; 09-30-2016 at 07:37 PM.
09-30-2016, 07:35 PM   #447
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
No, that was on Broadway.. lots of disco lights and curiously dressed people.

You're thinking of Studio 51 in the desert.

Oh, I always assumed these were aliens:

09-30-2016, 10:26 PM   #448
Pentaxian

I do fully agree- optical triggering is uncomfortable and dead end in today wireless radio triggers era. But its always better to have it and don't need to use it, than have to use it, and don't have that option.

I'm waiting for that Metz WT-1 transciever kit- it will do the job for me. Cactus V6II also looks nice-but I like to have some options to choose from. Metz stuff is way better settled here in Poland market.
If there was PTTL option from Yongnuo- I'm on it.
09-30-2016, 11:05 PM - 1 Like   #449
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

I do fully agree- optical triggering is uncomfortable and dead end in today wireless radio triggers era. But its always better to have it and don't need to use it, than have to use it, and don't have that option.

I'm waiting for that Metz WT-1 transciever kit- it will do the job for me. Cactus V6II also looks nice-but I like to have some options to choose from. Metz stuff is way better settled here in Poland market.
Agree with everything you say here, Reed!

If nothing else, I like to use the popup as fill in daylight. I've even had to buy one of those little AFG 200 things to carry around with the K-1.

Last edited by clackers; 09-30-2016 at 11:12 PM.
10-01-2016, 04:57 AM   #450
Pentaxian

I have a Cactus kit that I got on sale, but I haven't made much use of it - it seems to set off the slave unit randomly when I hadn't asked it to do anything.