Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
10-02-2016, 07:14 AM   #31
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
The next President gets a second term.
Oh So you're optimistic there will still be a country to host an election by then.

Last edited by mee; 10-02-2016 at 07:21 AM.
10-02-2016, 01:59 PM   #32
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
@ Class A : why do you wanna journalists say something if there is no news ?
I didn't read the blog, but it sounds better that they didn't place Ricoh in Nikon's cat.
When DPReview "complain" about Nikon not offering something at Photokina they still send people to product information and communicat to readers that Nikon is a player.

When DPReview call the Canon M5 "the biggest disappointment" while praising the camera all over the place, they are using a technique know as reverse selling.

DPReview could have easily put pointers back to the K-1 review and speculated about what lenses 2017 may bring and "complain" about Ricoh not being quicker with lens releases.

No news about Pentax in DPReviews "Photokina 2016 highlights: What we saw (and what we didn't)" article keeps Pentax off the radar map of readers and sends the additional message that no one cares whether Pentax announces anything or not.

They may not do this deliberately but I have no doubt that DPReview is costing Pentax well-deserved sales.
10-02-2016, 02:14 PM - 1 Like   #33
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
They may not do this deliberately but I have no doubt that DPReview is costing Pentax well-deserved sales.
No, it's the passing comet, that's the problem.
No seriously, Nikon and Canon at least showed something new at Photokina — like it or not, and there was at least an excuse to talk about their imaging in wide context. But, Ricoh Imaging showed nothing new, so they did not make any context. We have gone through this many times, and I think DPR is not to blame about this.

On the other hand, DPR did make a interview with two fellows from Ricoh Imaging, despite the fact Ricoh Imaging showed nothing new. Thumbs up to DPR, thumbs down to Ricoh Imaging this time — they had a chance to better use their show money, but had no idea how to do it. Don't blame the reporters.
10-02-2016, 02:31 PM - 1 Like   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Ricoh Imaging puts in a boring performance at Photokina and shows nothing new - doesn't matter. DPR doesn't mention Pentax in an article - they're responsible for lower Pentax sales

This DPR bashing on PF is getting a bit ridiculous now.

10-02-2016, 02:58 PM   #35
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
No, it's the passing comet, that's the problem.
No seriously, Nikon and Canon at least showed something new at Photokina — like it or not, and there was at least an excuse to talk about their imaging in wide context. But, Ricoh Imaging showed nothing new, so they did not make any context. We have gone through this many times, and I think DPR is not to blame about this.

On the other hand, DPR did make a interview with two fellows from Ricoh Imaging, despite the fact Ricoh Imaging showed nothing new. Thumbs up to DPR, thumbs down to Ricoh Imaging this time — they had a chance to better use their show money, but had no idea how to do it. Don't blame the reporters.
You are correct, Pentax didn't give anyone a reason to provide Pentax with good free publicity. I got lots of email that week from various camera vendors, each talking about exciting new stuff coming out. None of them talked about Pentax - turned out that Pentax hadn't announced anything new and exciting. Pentax is not new to this game; presumably they understood this would be a result of their current path.
10-02-2016, 03:45 PM   #36
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
You are correct, Pentax didn't give anyone a reason to provide Pentax with good free publicity. I got lots of email that week from various camera vendors, each talking about exciting new stuff coming out. None of them talked about Pentax - turned out that Pentax hadn't announced anything new and exciting. Pentax is not new to this game; presumably they understood this would be a result of their current path.
I'm honestly not sure what is Pentax's path. They say one thing in an interview and then their reps say another. The lens roadmap doesn't hold all the lenses they release and some (or at least one right now) has been on there for a few years. The K-70 came with little announcement too. They are very secretive and low on promoting themselves (comparatively to other competing companies).

What I guess is the path of Pentax is to offer more FF primes and maybe a K-3 II replacement. But they are very short on details.. or even hype..

It is an interesting approach and completely opposite what others are doing.. I'm guessing they are trying to read the market as it shifts.. and correct their course as they move along. Letting what they launch onto on the market (their released products) speak for themselves.
10-02-2016, 04:00 PM   #37
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
Ricoh Imaging puts in a boring performance at Photokina and shows nothing new - doesn't matter. DPR doesn't mention Pentax in an article - they're responsible for lower Pentax sales

This DPR bashing on PF is getting a bit ridiculous now.
DPR is nothing but an Amazon Gear Store feeder. It merely responds to outreach from the US brand distributors. Pentax doesn't have anything at all here. Nothing. Literally.

So DPR had nothing on which to base comments.

10-02-2016, 04:13 PM   #38
Veteran Member

DPR is nothing but an Amazon Gear Store feeder.
That's your conspiracy theory based on ... what exactly? They are editorially independent.

They are not any more an Amazon marketing tool than the Washington Post (also owned by Jeff Bezos).
10-02-2016, 04:34 PM   #39
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The ding-dong with Pentax and DPR has been going on for years. I could say the same about Pentax's lacklustre presence in major retail outlets and in photography magazines via advertising and advertorial stuff in my country. In both cases, the cause is the same. So far, Pentax has not been prepared to invest in a similar way to the other major camera brands in terms of doing what it takes to build bridges, scratch backs, retain respected brand ambassadors, spend advertising funds, build up the staff and all the rest. That's their decision. I don't expect it to change any time soon. They have their reasons, clearly. My guess is that Pentax feel their stronghold remains in Japan and the Far East and establishing really strong (read: very costly) networks in Europe and America would not be reflected in sufficiently increased sales to make it worthwhile. That's in a general way - there are exceptions from time to time when they do spend a bit more, as with the K1 or the 645z. The other explanation is that Pentax are hamfisted to the point of not knowing the day of the week and that is clearly baloney. It's their considered choice, like it or not. If they are already selling all they can make in their existing markets and hitting their targets, why should they be all that worried what folks think in Seattle or Siena anyway.
10-02-2016, 05:25 PM   #40
Pentaxian

DPR is nothing but an Amazon Gear Store feeder. It merely responds to outreach from the US brand distributors. Pentax doesn't have anything at all here. Nothing. Literally.

So DPR had nothing on which to base comments.
I believe it was DPR who hired former and sometimes contributor Panoguy to write for them, in part to increase their understanding of Pentax. But it might have been someone else.
10-02-2016, 05:25 PM   #41
Veteran Member

When the 2 majors have about 80% market share, and they have almost nothing new, they are the one who have not done their job . Regarding advertising , store presence, their a moto in retail , you want to sell brand #1 or #2 then the rest if it make sense. They are filler
Nothing different than in election, the 2 major parties are the one who have all the press, the third one well.. I think you know, almost nobody care from the general press.
10-02-2016, 05:34 PM   #42
Banned

I am happy DPR did an interview at Photokina with Ricoh Imaging. That was unexpected. I think DPR really appreciates latest Pentax equipment, and also the Ricoh GR. There is no angst there. DPR also points out shortcomings, areas which competitors made better than Pentax. But at the same time, DPR clearly appreciates bonuses that come with Pentax and Ricoh equipment.

How would Japanese-minded and Japanese-oriented company react to pressing needs that need to be addressed, if there is no reviewer that is reiterating that what western users already say? Like it or not, DPR echoes the voice of the western users of Pentax and Ricoh equipment, tells what they would like to see. DPR suggested new models of GR camera for example; why not? I read same around western forums all the time. I have more hopes that Ricoh will listen to DPR voice, because then DPR will too come with more analysis and reviews of Pentax and Ricoh equipment. Is it not in Ricoh's interest?

To DPR too, it is better to have healthy competition and lots of news, all the time. It creates variety and interesting conversations. They really pushed this time to make some news out of no-news from the Ricoh's booth. You have to give them some credit; they show more enthusiasm and interest than those managers themselves.
10-02-2016, 05:49 PM - 1 Like   #43
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
That's your conspiracy theory based on ... what exactly? They are editorially independent.

They are not any more an Amazon marketing tool than the Washington Post (also owned by Jeff Bezos).
Where's the Gear Shop link on the WP website?

When they test gear independently and scientifically, write evenly dispassionate reviews, cease recommending Amazon products in Pentax reviews and stop click-baiting comments - I will concede they are independent.

Until then they aren't worthy of the electrons their hacksite consumes on the way to my monitor.

Last edited by monochrome; 10-02-2016 at 07:32 PM.
10-02-2016, 05:57 PM - 1 Like   #44
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I believe it was DPR who hired former and sometimes contributor Panoguy to write for them, in part to increase their understanding of Pentax. But it might have been someone else.
Richard Butler tried to be fair.

They certainly didn't learn anything - or listen - or change their snarky editing and writing style. Editing - Hah. There isn't editorial oversight at all unless their tone is the editorial policy.

PhD in microbiology. Meh. I have nine PhD's in my extended family. Maybe they should apply to DPR. They have the credentials.

I can't say the words here.

Last edited by monochrome; 10-02-2016 at 07:27 PM.
10-09-2016, 04:39 AM - 1 Like   #45
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
But, Ricoh Imaging showed nothing new, so they did not make any context.
Nikon gets a whole section about how "disappointing" their Photokina appearance was.

Why wasn't Ricoh's Photokina appearance not also being discussed as disappointing?

Look at the Nikon section and tell me it isn't effective at telling the reader about the cool things Nikon did this year (just not at Photokina). DPReview could have provided the same service to Ricoh including speculations about what is to come.

When DPReview talks about the impact of the Kyushu earthquake they mention practically every brand but Ricoh/Pentax, even though the earthquake clearly caused slower than possible sales for the K-1.

The article I referred to was as much about what was presented as it was about what was not presented, so very clearly Ricoh's decision to not introduce any new products at Photokina was relevant news.

Unless one consciously or unconsciously thinks that Ricoh is not deserving of any coverage.

Last edited by Class A; 10-09-2016 at 04:40 AM. Reason: The