Firmware version 1.30 for PENTAX K-1 released

Latest PENTAX K-1 Firmware Update : Software Downloads | RICOH IMAGING

09-28-2016, 07:08 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
woo hoo!
09-28-2016, 07:21 PM   #3
Veteran Member

The firmware download page includes a useful PDF that describes the new v1.3 features and should be downloaded too:

http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/support/digital/pdf/K-1_Ver.1.30_Deta...d_features.pdf

Some interesting caveats about electronic shutter usage: the feature wont work with flash, HDR mode, flourescent lighting, and shake reduction.
09-28-2016, 07:45 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
The firmware download page includes a useful PDF that describes the new v1.3 features and should be downloaded too:

http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/support/digital/pdf/K-1_Ver.1.30_Deta...d_features.pdf

Some interesting caveats about electronic shutter usage: the feature wont work with flash, HDR mode, flourescent lighting, and shake reduction.
I can understand the electronic shutter usage being limited to exclude flash, HDR and shake reduction, but I can only assume that the fluorescent lighting exclusion is because of the mains flicker that it can be susceptible to (50 or 60 Hz, depending on the supply).

09-28-2016, 07:47 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Still have to eject Card 1 and restart to engage Card 2 as main directory... haha.

Love the electronic shutter option + 1:1 crop mode. Great additions.
09-28-2016, 08:05 PM   #6
Pentaxian

The number of options you get for shooting... amazing. Crop mode works nicely, in combination with other settings (same as apsc crop). ES brings additional sharpness. Interestingly ES does not work with SR (ES gets you extra sharpness at slow shutter speeds without having to go through the pain of pixel shift demosaicing when using third party software PP), basically, I can observe that ES gives as much extra sharpness as PS, but simply without the "true colors" effect. I'd like to use ES in crop mode for long lens shooting. I'm not sure if ES works with all shots in a sequence when bracketing. Looks like increasing the choices and complexity of what you can do with that camera. Some of that stuff could be improved further and we can see that a camera can be perfected via firmware updates. Really nice for customers.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 09-28-2016 at 08:12 PM.
09-28-2016, 08:40 PM   #7

Performed the update and tested 1:1 crop which seems to work. The ES option has been greyed out for me no matter what though. My Image Stab. is off, my shutter speed is ~ 1/160... HDR off... still greyed out.

09-28-2016, 09:05 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Doesn't ES have to be used in live view?
09-28-2016, 09:07 PM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
Doesn't ES have to be used in live view?
Naturally im in Live View when i try to enable the feature....
09-28-2016, 10:17 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by eliphas Quote
Performed the update and tested 1:1 crop which seems to work. The ES option has been greyed out for me no matter what though. My Image Stab. is off, my shutter speed is ~ 1/160... HDR off... still greyed out.
Camera is in single shot mode?
09-28-2016, 10:48 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The bracketing on the dial is still awkward. I just want to turn it on or off with that dial; if I want to set the bracketing levels, it's easier (and more full featured) under drive settings. The first time you enable it, it starts with your already-set bracketing drive settings. But if you turn it off via the command dial, it cycles you from your settings down to the minimal bracket (1/3 stop), and then turns it off. So next time you turn it on with the dial, it is at +/- 1/3 stop and then you have to dial it up to what you want. It is quick & easy the first time, a hassle the second. It still doesn't really make it a good match for the dial with this change.

---------- Post added 09-28-16 at 10:50 PM ----------

Maybe if something else like +/- button plus green button could turn it off.
09-28-2016, 11:28 PM   #12
Pentaxian

The ES seems to be a first curtain shutter and the mechanical shutter closes. At least that is what it sounds like when shooting.
09-29-2016, 12:46 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There's a lot of discussion about what can and can't be done with firmware, but this is the first time in my experience I've had an actual upgrade of camera capability rather than just a stability fix - I'm still intrigued as to why they pulled the square crop on the first place, or didn't implement the ES for anything except PS - the actual firmware downloads and installs very quickly... not a major package, more like throwing a couple of switches
09-29-2016, 12:58 AM   #14

I have just uploaded the firmware onto an sd card, inserted it into the camera, pressed menu and power at the same time but it just goes into normal "on" mode, not the update option. Tried it again a million times and still same result. Cant find another way of setting it up in the menu function. Anyone else had this problem or knows a way that I can resolve this problem. Very frustrating!!!!
09-29-2016, 01:02 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mattox Quote
I have just uploaded the firmware onto an sd card, inserted it into the camera, pressed menu and power at the same time but it just goes into normal "on" mode, not the update option. Tried it again a million times and still same result. Cant find another way of setting it up in the menu function. Anyone else had this problem or knows a way that I can resolve this problem. Very frustrating!!!!
The file doesn't extract itself in my experience if downloaded straight onto SD card - download onto PC and copy onto SD card, then it should work