Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-29-2016, 01:06 AM   #16

i did that, no luck. its as though the camera doesnt set itself into update mode

---------- Post added 09-29-16 at 01:23 AM ----------

Issue resolved guys!!! I had to format the sd card in camera, then for some reason i had a empty DCM file still on the card which I threw in the bin. From there on everything worked. There you go. Thanks for all the help guys. Hope this post helps others too

09-29-2016, 02:50 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The K10 received some nice firmware upgrades. If I remember correctly, they had to do with function of the command dials.

I didn't have a K10 so I also have not experienced a camera upgrade via firmware. Many people were upset that the K20 didn't receive similar firmware upgrades after it had been released.

QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
There's a lot of discussion about what can and can't be done with firmware, but this is the first time in my experience I've had an actual upgrade of camera capability rather than just a stability fix - I'm still intrigued as to why they pulled the square crop on the first place, or didn't implement the ES for anything except PS - the actual firmware downloads and installs very quickly... not a major package, more like throwing a couple of switches

---------- Post added 09-29-16 at 03:53 AM ----------

I would prefer the electronic shutter be available with mirror lock up. I realize the mirror is up with liveview but I don't think I will like an image of whatever the camera is pointed at popping up on the LCD screen before I take the picture...
09-29-2016, 03:16 AM   #18

The file doesn't extract itself in my experience if downloaded straight onto SD card - download onto PC; >EXTRACT on PC< and copy extracted fwdc228b.bin file onto SD card, then it should work
The file doesn't extract itself in my experience if downloaded straight onto SD card - download onto PC; >EXTRACT on PC< and copy extracted fwdc228b.bin file onto SD card, then it should work
09-29-2016, 03:30 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tan68 Quote
The K10 received some nice firmware upgrades. If I remember correctly, they had to do with function of the command dials.

I didn't have a K10 so I also have not experienced a camera upgrade via firmware. Many people were upset that the K20 didn't receive similar firmware upgrades after it had been released.
Ah - interesting - I did have a K10D, but it had already been out a couple of years, so I never saw it without the upgrade, I think.

09-29-2016, 05:51 AM   #20

QuoteOriginally posted by asahi man Quote
Camera is in single shot mode?
Ding ding ding! We have a winner! That was it! I was in burst/continuous.

If ever you're in Montreal asahi man, I owe you a drink
09-29-2016, 05:59 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eliphas Quote
Ding ding ding! We have a winner! That was it! I was in burst/continuous.

If ever you're in Montreal asahi man, I owe you a drink
Regular more in Edmonton,but for a drink?
09-29-2016, 06:03 AM   #22

The file doesn't extract itself in my experience if downloaded straight onto SD card - download onto PC and copy onto SD card, then it should work
Have exactly the same problem. Downloaded into computer, copied to SD card, but camera fails to recognise the card and firmware.

---------- Post added 09-29-16 at 06:17 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Mattox Quote
i did that, no luck. its as though the camera doesnt set itself into update mode

---------- Post added 09-29-16 at 01:23 AM ----------

Issue resolved guys!!! I had to format the sd card in camera, then for some reason i had a empty DCM file still on the card which I threw in the bin. From there on everything worked. There you go. Thanks for all the help guys. Hope this post helps others too
Tried that. Still does not work.

09-29-2016, 06:20 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by hutchst Quote
Have exactly the same problem. Downloaded into computer, copied to SD card, but camera fails to recognise the card and firmware.

QuoteOriginally posted by Sweets Quote

have you looked at this (more detailed) explanation?
09-29-2016, 06:21 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Downloaded into computer, copied to SD card, but camera fails to recognise the card and firmware.
Shouldn't your sequence be:

- download file onto computer;
- run the downloaded file on computer to extract the firmware update binary;
- copy the extracted Fwdc228b.bin file to the root of your SD card;
- place SD card into camera, close card door;
- power up camera, hold down Menu button
- etc

Instructions are pretty clear on the firmware download page.
09-29-2016, 06:38 AM   #25

have you looked at this (more detailed) explanation?
I have a Mac, so "extract PC" does not work

---------- Post added 09-29-16 at 06:40 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Shouldn't your sequence be:

- download file onto computer;
- run the downloaded file on computer to extract the firmware update binary;
- copy the extracted Fwdc228b.bin file to the root of your SD card;
- place SD card into camera, close card door;
- power up camera, hold down Menu button
- etc

Instructions are pretty clear on the firmware download page.
I have followed very precisely the website instructions, using two different cards, but still have no success.
09-29-2016, 06:43 AM   #26
Pentaxian

@asahi man
Earlier you wrote that the firmware version 1.03 that was available at Photokina was still buggy.

Can you confirm that the now publicly available firmware 1.03 no more features any of the bugs you had observed?

Here is a suggestion to Ricoh: Please make it possible to downgrade the firmware. There could be an extra confirmation step (in the form of a question the user has to answer) to make sure the user deliberately wants to go back to an earlier firmware version, but firmware upgrading should not be the one way street it currently is.

I am always hesitant to update because there is no way back. Not all changes happen to be improvements for everyone.
09-29-2016, 06:48 AM   #27
Veteran Member

The system hanger is not anymore inside,everything clear.
09-29-2016, 06:51 AM   #28
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

I have followed very precisely the website instructions, using two different cards, but still have no success.
No you didn't.

You put the .zip on the card, not the .bin.

Use whatever decompressing app you like to extract it.
09-29-2016, 06:56 AM   #29

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
No you didn't.

You put the .zip on the card, not the .bin.

Use whatever decompressing app you like to extract it.
The file as downloaded and opened has a .bin suffix, but I will check again. Checked. File downloads to my Mac as fwdc228b-2.bin. I copy this to the root menu of a newly formatted 32gb card, correctly eject the card and insert it into slot 1 in the camera. I press the menu button and, whilst doing so switch on the camera (which has a newly, fully charged battery). I get the normal welcome screen, not the update screen.

I have successully downloaded earlier updates with no problems, so what am I doing wrong?

Last edited by hutchst; 09-29-2016 at 07:06 AM.
09-29-2016, 07:15 AM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You have a -2 file marker. If you have a -2 extension you have an old FW update also on the card or in the computer folder. The update will only work if you first remove the old .bin file before decompressing. and from the card, then update from the clean .bin file.