Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-19-2016, 01:28 PM   #151
Pentaxian

Just under US$2,800 actually: US$2,799.95 i.e. US$400 more than the previous version at launch seven years ago.

10-19-2016, 11:00 PM   #152
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
Price hike ?

Better ask Nikon what'll be the selling price of the just disclosed AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2,8 EFL ED VR : just under USD 2900...
Seems fluorine has it's cost.
Yeah but that's Nikon, they deserve to. Pentax though...

10-20-2016, 03:44 AM - 1 Like   #153
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Yeah but that's Nikon, they deserve to. Pentax though...

+1

The Nikon minor upgrade now costs 3200 EUR. The optically already great Tamron 70-200 costs 550 EUR.

If we apply the logic of the normal Pentax haters we actually should look at Tamron's used prices so 350-400 EUR is what Nikon should be pricing it at.
Actually I forgot that the Nikon has much worse focus breathing than the Tamron, so let's go down to 250-300 EUR at most to be a fair price for the new Nikon. So they try to charge more than 10x as much as the lens is worth.
Did I get the normal whining logic right or did I forget something?

But honestly these Nikon moves are all very good for Pentax as it drives customers in their arms.
10-20-2016, 01:09 PM   #154
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
+1

The Nikon minor upgrade now costs 3200 EUR. The optically already great Tamron 70-200 costs 550 EUR.

If we apply the logic of the normal Pentax haters we actually should look at Tamron's used prices so 350-400 EUR is what Nikon should be pricing it at.
Actually I forgot that the Nikon has much worse focus breathing than the Tamron, so let's go down to 250-300 EUR at most to be a fair price for the new Nikon. So they try to charge more than 10x as much as the lens is worth.
Did I get the normal whining logic right or did I forget something?

But honestly these Nikon moves are all very good for Pentax as it drives customers in their arms.
Yep, you forgot the Nikon factor: you can ask x10 juste because Nikon.

11-28-2016, 07:01 PM   #155

It will in 2 years time... trust me cause i learned it the hard way with both my K3!!!!!
If you get a K1 now, most probably you can get a pair of K1 in 2 years time.... cheapskate? Nope, just a conservative GenX person. Hahahahahah
11-28-2016, 07:22 PM - 1 Like   #156
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by choong_dc Quote
It will in 2 years time... trust me cause i learned it the hard way with both my K3!!!!!
If you get a K1 now, most probably you can get a pair of K1 in 2 years time.... cheapskate? Nope, just a conservative GenX person. Hahahahahah
I don't have a crystal ball, but FF bodies typically don't drop in value like APS-C bodies.
11-29-2016, 03:56 AM - 1 Like   #157
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
It will depend on market conditions. When competitors keep up high prices with high end aps-c and m43 now selling at up to $2000. This trend will probably also be continued for full frame. Will there be another D6xx body? Or will Nikon just continue with D7xx? What does canon do with the 6DMKII (can't be anything too drastic, they don't want to outperform the 5D MKIV.) Sony will keep churning out new A7's leaving the previous models in the market at lower prices. But still there is not a package like the K-1 in the market for a long time after it's price point. There is the D750, which is excellent but 24mp and no ibis. Unless you are a sports type the K-1 is a superior camera. Cheaper than similar Canon, Nikon and Sony offerings. But matching D810 , A7 RII and 5D Mk IV. No reason to drop the price. Every reason to invest the revenue in lens development and a better AF-system, so Pentax can really cross swords with Canonikony on all fronts.

11-30-2016, 06:13 AM   #158
Pentaxian

Mmm isn't there a better forum department for such kind of post ?
(Whatever I may think about that...)
11-30-2016, 01:30 PM - 1 Like   #159
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
No they're not...

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Camera's are getting expensive.
I paid $1,000.00 for a PZ1P in 1996...and you had to keep buying film.

LOL....

Cheers,
Cameron
11-30-2016, 09:57 PM - 1 Like   #160
Pentaxian

...and the cost of developing and printing photos only to discover that many weren't worth the cost of developing and printing.
12-01-2016, 04:57 AM   #161
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
The Nikon minor upgrade now costs 3200 EUR. The optically already great Tamron 70-200 costs 550 EUR. If we apply the logic of the normal Pentax haters we actually should look at Tamron's used prices so 350-400 EUR is what Nikon should be pricing it at. Actually I forgot that the Nikon has much worse focus breathing than the Tamron, so let's go down to 250-300 EUR at most to be a fair price for the new Nikon. So they try to charge more than 10x as much as the lens is worth. Did I get the normal whining logic right or did I forget something?
Oh its perfect! Just add that some old Tamron Adaptall or Russian Jupiter is actually just as good in most shooting conditions!
12-02-2016, 10:07 AM - 1 Like   #162
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
I don't have a crystal ball, but FF bodies typically don't drop in value like APS-C bodies.
Hmm... there's a D700 with grip and 35-107mm lens and Tamron backpack on Craigslist near me right now for $795... if I was a Nikon shooter, that'd be a no-brainer. Big, lazy pixels, the 12mp can make almost any lens look good. There's also a D750 for $1,100, a Canon 6D for $1,300, and I often see various 5Ds in the mid-$1,000s or less. So a C/N shooter looking for full-frame can get into it for less than the price of a new high-end crop body.

My old K-3 retailed for $1,300 when released three years ago, I think I paid maybe $1k for someone's review-copy one a few months after release, and I just sold it for ~$400. The K-1 is 8 months old now and retailed (until recently) for $1,800, so I'm sure we'll see used prices dipping in the next year or two. This is not really comparable to C/N though, since there's one and only one option if you want a FF Pentax, but once the K-1ii (K-1 2? K-12? sounds like a school system!) or K-1s or whatever it's called comes along, that'll help drive K-1 prices down. Heck, look at what K-5s are going for now, and that's got IMHO the best APS image quality you can get or damn close - it's crazy how cheap you can get such a great camera for.
12-03-2016, 03:33 PM   #163

QuoteOriginally posted by Groucho Quote
My old K-3 retailed for $1,300 when released three years ago, I think I paid maybe $1k for someone's review-copy one a few months after release, and I just sold it for ~$400. The K-1 is 8 months old now and retailed (until recently) for $1,800, so I'm sure we'll see used prices dipping in the next year or two. This is not really comparable to C/N though, since there's one and only one option if you want a FF Pentax, but once the K-1ii (K-1 2? K-12? sounds like a school system!) or K-1s or whatever it's called comes along, that'll help drive K-1 prices down. Heck, look at what K-5s are going for now, and that's got IMHO the best APS image quality you can get or damn close - it's crazy how cheap you can get such a great camera for.
I have to agree with you sir, I got my used K3 at $800 nearly 2 years ago.... Today its at 400+++. Shot my own leg, I learn my lesson, I can wait.
12-03-2016, 03:58 PM - 1 Like   #164
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by choong_dc Quote
There's nothing inherently generational in waiting to buy what you deem you can afford (just ask millions of much-maligned so-called "baby boomers" who bought second-hand B&W TVs and furniture until they could choose to do otherwise). You can be an Early Adopter and pay a premium, an Early Majority or Late Majority and pay the regular price, or a Late Adopter and claim a discount. Then there are the Innovators and Laggards...

You'll only get a substantial discount on a K-1 when its successor appears, and even then, I doubt it will be of the same order as the discounts on the APS-C bodies as they were run out. More likely is a bonus that arises from major (and extended) exchange rate changes. What we're seeing at the moment is the result of a shift the other way, of course.

As for the comments about cameras being expensive nowadays, some time ago I did the calculation of the price I paid for my new Spotmatic-F in 1974, which told me that the price of my K-1 wasn't much different, in real terms. Of course, I could have stuck with my S3 and SV for all the time since, but I'd have invested a lot more in buying film and developing, or I'd have lost interest and gone onto other (probably much more expensive) hobbies, like motor racing or rallying.

"You pays your money and takes your choice".