Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-02-2016, 06:05 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by aoeu Quote
Why is the Yen so strong?
Yen is the safe haven currency at this time, especially vs. Euro where bond yields are nominally negative. and Dollar bonds, where bond real yields are negative after inflation (every securities broker in Germany is telling customers to sell Bunds and TSYs and buy JPY bonds).

10-02-2016, 06:34 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Got mine for 1,799 from Kenmore Camera ebay store, fast delivery, packaged really well. Still has this price right now, comboed with a 64gb card. They are a well known store on west coast, I certainly don't have any complaints.
10-02-2016, 06:40 PM   #18

QuoteOriginally posted by Freddie Quote
K1 in Australia is roughly $2800
I got mine for $AU2509. 8)
10-02-2016, 06:54 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Freddie Quote
K1 in Australia is roughly $2800
Thats Aussie dollars..$2799 retail...Ebay(OZ) prices are as low as just above $2600

Kiwis always get the bargains, the $ there is lower than a sheeps belly!

10-02-2016, 06:58 PM   #20
Pentaxian

If it keeps going like this, I may stick with my K-5. I was planning to get a K-1....sometime around Xmas to April/17....but I think not at this price. I don't want it that much. Yeah, I get it ........rising currency, some currency sinking, etc...but I will likely stick to my original budget. I've noted that since it was released there have been no price reductions. It will be interesting to see what happens come black friday as another has mentioned.
10-02-2016, 06:58 PM   #21
mee
Veteran Member

Nikon, Canon, and Fuji prices appear to be unchanged. Looks like it is just Pentax that increased pricing on camera bodies.

Are we sure this is not more a case of what RIAC said in their interviews about 'premium cameras' -- maybe that just meant 'we see the demand so we're going to increase prices while the demand is high'

Or it could just be the dollar is cheap vs the yen right now and all the other brands are eating the difference..
10-02-2016, 06:59 PM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Yen is the safe haven currency at this time, especially vs. Euro where bond yields are nominally negative. and Dollar bonds, where bond real yields are negative after inflation (every securities broker in Germany is telling customers to sell Bunds and TSYs and buy JPY bonds).
Crazy financial system, meanwhile Japan's public debt nears 270% of country's GNP.
Ready for another major crash ?

10-02-2016, 07:10 PM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Nikon, Canon, and Fuji prices appear to be unchanged. Looks like it is just Pentax that increased pricing on camera bodies.

Are we sure this is not more a case of what RIAC said in their interviews about 'premium cameras' -- maybe that just meant 'we see the demand so we're going to increase prices while the demand is high'

If that's the case, I may go to Option B which was to get a full frame Nikon D750 with a wide angle to moderate telephoto Nikkor lens, or a Sony Full frame with a similar range Sony lens. I have to admit Sony is of interest to me, the past year or two. I do like the idea that I don't have to work at getting product...ordering in... like I do with my Pentax gear of late. It is nice to walk into a camera store with product available...in stock. Sony and Nikon stuff always seems to be there. Pentax as of the past 18 months...none in stock or very little... at the camera stores. Pentax not having gear , like other camera manufacturers do in camera stores, is not a good sign to me.

The other thing that's been bugging me, is that a couple of the new full frame 'Pentax' lenses (15-30, 24-70) are apparently rebadged Tamron products. I don't have anything against Tamron gear, but I prefer that my Pentax lenses are Pentax. That's just me though, others may differ. I also wonder why Pentax didn't engineer their own lenses, rather than going to an aftermarket company. I'm not sure how to interpret this, but it doesn't seem like a good sign to me.

I've also been wondering...for awhile, whether I'm going to be left with an orphan line in keeping with Pentax. I've thought it may make sense to not have my camera equipment eggs, all in one basket. Maybe it's time to diversify in a small way, with the view that if Pentax doesn't continue, well I've got more than just one line of camera make. I was using and owned (own) Pentax, Leica and Mamiya medium format systems in the film days. In the digital days I've pretty well stuck with one brand, Pentax. Maybe it would be wise for me to diversify, as I did in the film days.

I've been a Pentax fan for almost 50 years, but in the end I wanted to get a full frame with a moderate wide angle to moderate portrait lens...only and continue to use my Pentax ASP-C bodies (K-5, K10D, Km) with my other, mostly ASP-C Pentax lenses. I'm not a spring chicken, so I figure my three different Pentax bodies should last me as long as I'm capable of still going out and shooting pictures.

I'm brand loyal...to a point...but there are other good brands, also and I just want a Full Frame body with the one aforementioned range of zoom.

Have to wait and see what develops. It's interesting to see how moves by a manufacturer, can sometimes trigger decisions from consumers and even consumers who have been brand loyal for many a decade.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not lashing out at Ricoh, I'm just considering my photographic options given some recent developments.

Last edited by lesmore49; 10-02-2016 at 07:31 PM.
10-02-2016, 07:16 PM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by henryk Quote
Adorama and B&H have raised the K-1 price to $1946.95. Still at original $1796 on Amazon, but that is unlikely to last much longer.

The K-70 price is unchanged so far.
This might simply reflect production not quite keeping pace with demand for the K-1.
10-02-2016, 07:19 PM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
Crazy financial system, meanwhile Japan's public debt nears 270% of country's GNP.
Ready for another major crash ?
Not going there.
10-02-2016, 07:48 PM   #26
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
If that's the case, I may go to Option B which was to get a full frame Nikon D750 with a wide angle to moderate telephoto Nikkor lens, or a Sony Full frame with a similar range Sony lens. I have to admit Sony is of interest to me, the past year or two. I do like the idea that I don't have to work at getting product...ordering in... like I do with my Pentax gear of late. It is nice to walk into a camera store with product available...in stock. Sony and Nikon stuff always seems to be there. Pentax as of the past 18 months...none in stock or very little... at the camera stores. Pentax not having gear , like other camera manufacturers do in camera stores, is not a good sign to me.

I've also been wondering...for awhile, whether I'm going to be left with an orphan line in keeping with Pentax. I've thought it may make sense to not have my camera equipment eggs, all in one basket. Maybe it's time to diversify in a small way, with the view that if Pentax doesn't continue, well I've got more than just one line of camera make. I was using and owned (own) Pentax, Leica and Mamiya medium format systems in the film days. In the digital days I've pretty well stuck with one brand, Pentax. Maybe it would be wise for me to diversify.

I've been a Pentax fan for almost 50 years, but in the end I wanted to get a full frame with a moderate wide angle to moderate portrait lens...only and continue to use my Pentax ASP-C bodies (K-5, K10D, Km) with my other, mostly ASP-C Pentax lenses.
Well Nikon is supposedly in an impending doom state as has been predicted for at least a decade now.. I think Canon is rather healthy though, but they seem to be diversifying their platform more (just bought a medical equipment unit from Toshiba a few months ago) probably due to the shrinking camera market in general.

At the very least, with Nikon, you have a muchhh larger selection of modern lenses. I was hoping to buy the K-3II and use it for a couple of years while K-1 and FF lens prices lower a bit. But I might just hold on to the K-5II I currently use and see what 2017 presents since prices are currently increasing as opposed to their normal decrease. Prices are so volatile that I'm not going to make plans beyond that.

I see some lens prices are high now too.. DA* 16-50mm and DA* 50-135mm each for 1046 USD, They were going for 683 and 732 respectively back in February. We're just in a sellers market right now.. like the tide, will have to wait for it to go down.

Last edited by mee; 10-02-2016 at 07:55 PM.
10-02-2016, 07:59 PM   #27

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
I was hoping to buy the K-3II and use it for a couple of years while K-1 and FF lens prices lower a bit. But I might just hold on to the K-5II I currently use and see what 2017 presents since prices are currently increasing as opposed to their normal decrease. Prices are so volatile that I'm not going to make plans beyond that.

I see some lens prices are high now too.. DA* 16-50mm and DA* 50-135mm each for 1046 USD, They were going for 683 and 732 respectively back in February. We're just in a sellers market right now.. like the tide, will have to wait for it to go down.
my sentiments exactly!
10-02-2016, 08:03 PM   #28
Closed Account

I was going to get mine in two weeks at Photo Plus. I will now be looking at other brands before I buy the K-1. Which I won't buy at this point! The price increase, lack of lenses & 3rd party lenses is making it time for a change! I have enjoyed Pentax but it's time to go!
10-02-2016, 08:39 PM   #29
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The camera companies have turned into a cartel! They'll all increase their prices and we have nowhere to go.

But truth is, they know they have to if they want some profits. I think manufacturing costs have risen and the really need price increases to have profits.
10-02-2016, 08:55 PM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Dollar / Yen Exchange Rate last 12 months

There's no question that this is the reason for sure.