Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 48 Likes Search this Thread
10-02-2016, 08:55 PM - 1 Like   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Nikon, Canon, and Fuji prices appear to be unchanged. Looks like it is just Pentax that increased pricing on camera bodies.
A lot of Nikon lenses went up significantly recently in the UK. Can't speak for Canon or Fuji as I haven't been following them, but their top end cameras aren't cheap, either.

10-02-2016, 08:59 PM - 1 Like   #32
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Well Nikon is supposedly in an impending doom state as has been predicted for at least a decade now.. I think Canon is rather healthy though, but they seem to be diversifying their platform more (just bought a medical equipment unit from Toshiba a few months ago) probably due to the shrinking camera market in general.

At the very least, with Nikon, you have a muchhh larger selection of modern lenses. I was hoping to buy the K-3II and use it for a couple of years while K-1 and FF lens prices lower a bit. But I might just hold on to the K-5II I currently use and see what 2017 presents since prices are currently increasing as opposed to their normal decrease. Prices are so volatile that I'm not going to make plans beyond that.

I see some lens prices are high now too.. DA* 16-50mm and DA* 50-135mm each for 1046 USD, They were going for 683 and 732 respectively back in February. We're just in a sellers market right now.. like the tide, will have to wait for it to go down.
I agree with you and will probably put off my decision till at least March/April 2017...to see which way things are going. I prefer Pentax, but I have had concerns regarding Pentax's future since at least 2006. The increase in prices, for example the K1 and the two lenses you cited....well I'm glad I bought when I did.

I'm not sure how Pentax can see themselves in a seller's market though, considering that their product availability in camera stores has gone down significantly and frankly is not competitive with other makes, particularly in the market I'm familiar with....North America.

As you say..".see what 2017 presents since prices are currently increasing as opposed to their normal decrease. Prices are so volatile that I'm not going to make plans beyond that. "... I also expected prices to go down on the K-1, not increase as they just have. This has been a surprise to me and as I previously mentioned has made me reconsider my K-1 plans and at this early point, initiated a serious look at other alternatives from different manufacturers.

I'm starting to think diversification as per my film days, may make more sense for me, at least, for the reasons I indicated in my previous post.

The K-1 maybe in high demand, but I suspect it is all relative and the sales number of the K-1, in my guess, pale compared to FF offerings from competitors such as Nikon, Canon and Sony.

I think Ricoh must reconsider significant price increases, given they are not in the best position...market wise and haven't been DSLR wise for many years. Yes, I know a company in order to remain in business, a company needs to make a profit and I'm certainly not arguing that point. For a corporation sometimes it can be a difficult balancing act...how much do they charge for a product.

But as a wise old salesman told me many years ago, a good customer is hard to get and easy to lose. The salesman also told me that you can't sell from an empty wagon...and this is what Ricoh appears to be trying to do...given the dearth of Pentax product available at many camera stores.

I don't have all the answers.
10-02-2016, 09:02 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Can't compare canikon to pentax. Those guys can afford keep the price level, or even drop it a bit, because they sell so much more. Wouldn't you want Pentax to succeed? I consider k-1 a steal at the price they're asking for anyway
10-02-2016, 09:21 PM   #34
Administrator
Site Webmaster

It'll be interesting to see tomorrow's price roundup. Perhaps some lenses will also go up...

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-02-2016, 09:49 PM   #35

Location: Milky Way Galaxy, Planet Earth, Speeding towards the Virgo Supercluster
Once this was "published" jumped on Amazon..picked up a K3ii for around $843...get 'em while the getn's good...really wanted to support this forum, yet B&H pushed the price up to $996..couldn't justify the xtra &150 just for forum support...doubt B&H, or Adorama will/would "honor" lower pricing...hard to know, yet had to "lock in" B4 Amazon got "up to speed" & raised their price to "go along to get along"..

Perhaps they won't...time will tell....
10-02-2016, 11:03 PM - 1 Like   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SKYGZR Quote
Once this was "published" jumped on Amazon..picked up a K3ii for around $843...get 'em while the getn's good...really wanted to support this forum, yet B&H pushed the price up to $996..couldn't justify the xtra &150 just for forum support...doubt B&H, or Adorama will/would "honor" lower pricing...hard to know, yet had to "lock in" B4 Amazon got "up to speed" & raised their price to "go along to get along"..

Perhaps they won't...time will tell....

Amazon doesn't seem to raise their prices on the weekend when B&H and Adorama go up. I fully expect the price to match at Amazon after a few days though, so smart move.

I was going to go 31/43/77 for my new K1, but considering that the January prices are a thing of the past, I am going to go FA 50mm 1.4 for now and wait and see what the pentax wide and fast aperture medium are going to be next year. In the meantime I will "make do" with the 28-105, 50mm and all my aps-c gear.

---------- Post added 10-03-16 at 12:11 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by awscreo Quote
Can't compare canikon to pentax. Those guys can afford keep the price level, or even drop it a bit, because they sell so much more. Wouldn't you want Pentax to succeed? I consider k-1 a steal at the price they're asking for anyway

Yea, even at $2K USD, it's a serious competitor to the D810, and not even sure if the 5D4 is in the same ballpark. It's an $800 bargain compared to a D810 right now. That 36mp sensor in a real DSLR for $2k is a steal. And on top of that it even has worthy AF and a few other perks.

The price increase sucks, but the K1 is still a winner, and I was HIGHLY skeptical of it when I first heard about the camera.
10-02-2016, 11:12 PM   #37

QuoteOriginally posted by dr_romix Quote
Marketing strategy, jack up the price, leave some room for discount over holidays and blackfriday, still get the same marginal interest, fool people buy thinking they save $$$$$.
Definitely not marketing strategy...at all. These are worldwide structural change effects due to EUR and USD currency rates related to the YEN and the earthquake production disrupt.

10-03-2016, 12:19 AM   #38
Banned

Looking at cipa....

http://www.cipa.jp/stats/documents/e/d-201608_e.pdf

It's a bad summer for all (except maybe Canon). So money has to be earned one way or the other.
10-03-2016, 12:34 AM   #39
Pentaxian

U$ 2000 isn't a big price for a leading FF DSLR!
10-03-2016, 12:53 AM   #40
Forum Member

I've kept an eye on camerapricebuster UK where the K-1 had been £1599 since launch, after reading this thread I checked again and see it is now £1799, don't know when it went up though.

* just read in another thread that it went up a week or three ago

Last edited by Barso; 10-03-2016 at 12:57 AM. Reason: info
10-03-2016, 05:38 AM   #41
Pentaxian

US price is now 1950 dollar. The EU price is 1956 dollar (europrice without VAT)

It was. 1800 and 1871. Europe has gained a bit because of number rounding. Of course Americans Pay only about 10% tax when they live in an expensive state. Europeans between 17% (a few people in Luxemburg) and 27% The poor (Hungarians)
10-03-2016, 06:23 AM   #42

Amazon did change their price over the weekend, promptly put a red line through it and are still selling it for $1796.95

I wanted to buy from B&H but when I saw the increase, bought from Amazon yesterday. I hope B&H aren't shooting themselves in the foot. I'd like to be able to buy from them again one day (bought all my cameras from them).
10-03-2016, 08:03 AM   #43
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
It'll be interesting to see tomorrow's price roundup. Perhaps some lenses will also go up...
I know Pentax normally discounts lens on Black Friday sales, but do you normally see camera bodies? I don't remember seeing bodies on sale. Do you think it would be better to buy now from Amazon before the hike up or wait until Black Friday for a potential discount of $150+?
10-03-2016, 08:20 AM   #44

We have Pantax K-1 for 2.099 Euro for last 3 weeks in Germany. Right at the start of Photokina. It was 1999 Euro.
10-03-2016, 08:39 AM - 1 Like   #45
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Dollar / Yen Exchange Rate last 12 months
Exactly! The price in Yen remains unchanged. It's the value of people's dollars, euros, etc. that have fallen. If Ricoh wants to keep investing in new cameras and new lenses, then it needs to make money on the existing ones.

Even at the new price, the K-1 is a huge bargain over anything offered by Nikon & Canon unless one's focus is action sports or video.