Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 133 Likes Search this Thread
10-09-2016, 09:42 AM   #76
Banned

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
You are entitled to your opinions, but they are just that, opinions. I am still seeing new and used-like-new K-01, K-50, and K-S2 units out there, and of course K-70 sales will drag a little because of that. My personal opinion is that the lower tier market is tilting towards MILC, and if that is true, then then these cameras will never see the demand Pentax, Canon, and Nikon have been hoping for - which is the very reason this thread exists. I am seeing good pictures posted here by K-70 users; K-70 users are reporting quality better than K-30/50. At some point I will buy one, unless something even better comes along, but since my K-30 is just 22 months old, right now I don't feel any great compulsion to buy anything right now, and {coming back to the purpose of this thread} I would dearly love an MILC variant of the K-70 to be one of the options made available to me.
Ofcourse, nothing wrong with the camera as it is. No mention of K-70 in any of the Photokina interviews of Ricoh Imaging. Also on the stand there where many images in the Photokina booth made by different ambassadors, but not a single one made with the K-70. So that isn't pushing sales that much.

10-09-2016, 09:46 AM   #77
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Link to the interview where K-01 was said to be "very successful", please?
I don't have the link or data, but i believe K-01 sold a lot AFTER the price dropped to a reasonable range ($250). And I do remember someone from Pentax said it was a successful model (I guess from number of selling during cleaning sell), although I also remember someone form pentax said K-01 WAS NOT VERY SUCCESSFUL.

but since my K-30 is just 22 months old, right now I don't feel any great compulsion to buy anything right now
I think that is one of the the main reasons Pentax should bring out a MILC, even just for existing pentax DSLR users. I have K5IIs, and I see no reason to buy K3. I bought K-1, and I will keep using it for years before upgrading. But I bought Q7, Q-S1, GR, NEX-7, NEX-6, A6000, A3000, A7 since I bought K5 (sold NEX-7, NEX-6 and A3000, NEX-6 had broken shutter, Q-S1 was for my daughter). DSLR is powerful enough for me and I am happy with most model I have (except AF, but new models are still lagging behind) and I really don't feel the needs of upgrading. If K-1 was not a FF camera, I will still keep using K5IIs. At the meantime, mirrorless improves a lot and I am willing to buy newer models.
10-09-2016, 09:57 AM   #78
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
I'm a bit late to this thread ... but ...

I saw a comment from "kenspo" on that pentaxrumors.com site. It reads, "New mount, short register, K adapter for compatibility: there will be a nice little surprise in 2017 The future is bright, Ricoh are in for the long perspective."

Did he just throw that in there because he thinks we don't know he has an inside track to Ricoh and he may be thinking that nobody would believe him anyways? Heh! Well, I'm going to start saving up for Xmas 2017 now.
This fake idiot has picked together different stuff i have said and put it together with some made up stuff. I hardly share anything anymore, and definitive not as a comment on Pentaxrumors

"New mount, short register, K adapter for compatibility" ? - I have never said that!

But i did say (in a totally different situation), that Ricoh are in for the long time. And there might be a little surprise or two in 2017.

So, there's maybe not a bad idea to save up some money anyway
10-09-2016, 10:08 AM   #79
Pentaxian

I'm saving money for lenses; but we already know about those. If there will be some surprises, I'm in trouble!

P.S. I keep wondering about the identity of that fake kenspo... it seems to me, the most likely place he originated from is a specific forum. I hope I'm wrong.

10-09-2016, 10:08 AM   #80
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
"Logic" fails - especially when it's built to "prove" an already made conclusion
Link to the interview where K-01 was said to be "very successful", please? .
Do you really think that I collect any interview's links? I read this at this site. Successful model. It's truth.

If you really want to know it find it yourself, I have no any wish to argue with you.
K-01 is more successful than K-S1.
K-01 was more time at the market, that's why this models has better sales than K-S1. It's simple Logic.

Last edited by ogl; 10-09-2016 at 10:26 AM.
10-09-2016, 10:16 AM - 1 Like   #81
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

"Logic" fails - especially when it's built to "prove" an already made conclusion
Link to the interview where K-01 was said to be "very successful", please? They made the blue K-01 citing "continued demand" in Japan, and AFAIK that model was sold only in Japan (it so happens that the Q was/is successful on that market, and less so in Europe or Americas). All that tells us is that they made another batch.
John Carlson interviewed on IR (IIRC), and quoted in a post on this site, said (rather defensively because he was being savaged by the members) Ricoh considered K-01 a success. because it had sold the planned production run of 125,000 units. Shortly thereafter the blue/white Smurf version was released in Japan to high demand and tight supplies.

I don't think Ned Bunnel even tried to sell the camera here. In fact I believe he was so dismissive of it he actually sabotaged it. IIRC the USA website didn't even list the camera until the day of release. Rest of World had a slick, produced, front page K-01 feature.

Jim Malcolm, OTOH, thought the K-S1 would sell so well to young, hip consumers that he went all-in for it - but Ricoh Imaging forgot the LED's on the grip would be covered when you hold the camera. Then he (or someone in Denver) greenlighted the 'big hands woman' photoshop job - and that did K-S1 in AFA USA was concerned. Sad for a camera company to allow marketing to slip to the level of a bad Photoshop.

I think in USA people want their DSLR's big, black and either credit card priced at Best Buy or snob-appeal priced at a Dealer. Colors hurt here - they're viewed as toys. MILC's should be thin, shiny and expensive aspirational status symbols, like jewelry or a Lexus. Consumers don't care about images here, other than how a camera contributes to their self-images.

Last edited by monochrome; 10-09-2016 at 03:45 PM.
10-09-2016, 10:17 AM   #82
Pentaxian

Ogl:
To be direct, I don't trust your memory. I don't trust 100% mine, either - memory is such an imprecise tool; but you are a third party and we're communicating over Internet and you're not giving any detail but two words we're not sure were really said - the imprecision will skyrocket. Thus, I'd like to see the source for myself.
So, did anyone really said it's "very successful", and if so, in which context, what other things he said etc. etc. etc. To remember something supporting your pre-made conclusion and say "it's truth", that's confirmation bias.

Besides, the initial claim was "The K-01 sold more copy's then K-S1.". I don't see anything to support this.

10-09-2016, 10:19 AM   #83
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by grahame Quote
I don't have the link or data, but i believe K-01 sold a lot AFTER the price dropped to a reasonable range ($250). And I do remember someone from Pentax said it was a successful model (I guess from number of selling during cleaning sell), although I also remember someone form pentax said K-01 WAS NOT VERY SUCCESSFUL.
I think both have some truenes in it. They sold a lot of them. Maybe they would have preferred it to sell at an average price 100 $ more then it did in the end.
10-09-2016, 10:21 AM   #84
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Jim Malcolm, OTOH, thought the K-S1 would sell so well to young, hip consumers that he went all-in for it - but Ricoh Imaging forgot the LED's on the grip would be covered when you hold the camera.
About that... those LED's function was as a remote countdown, and as a face detection count indicator. Those usage scenarios implies your hand would not be on the grip
10-09-2016, 10:22 AM - 1 Like   #85
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

About that... those LED's function was as a remote countdown, and as a face detection count indicator. Those usage scenarios implies your hand would not be on the grip
Yeah, that was the spin they put on it - weeks after the launch here. At first they were marketed as Disco lights.

Don't forget the default state is 'Always On'. I personally know a Beta tester who pointed out the oversight to the design group - to stunned silence in the room - but by then the design was locked. I've also heard the facial recognition and timer functions were poorly executed afterthoughts. How do you take selfies with an SLR?

That's what Ricoh got for hiring a California product design team with an office in Tokyo that knew nothing about cameras.

At least Mark Newson's design was derivative of the Leica Digilux, which actually was hip.

Last edited by monochrome; 10-09-2016 at 10:41 AM.
10-09-2016, 10:25 AM   #86
ogl
Banned

Ogl:
To be direct, I don't trust your memory. I don't trust 100% mine, either - memory is such an imprecise tool; but you are a third party and we're communicating over Internet and you're not giving any detail but two words we're not sure were really said - the imprecision will skyrocket. Thus, I'd like to see the source for myself.
So, did anyone really said it's "very successful", and if so, in which context, what other things he said etc. etc. etc. To remember something supporting your pre-made conclusion and say "it's truth", that's confirmation bias.

Besides, the initial claim was "The K-01 sold more copy's then K-S1.". I don't see anything to support this.
Google Translate
page 6 and there is info at this site as mentioned above.

http://photorumors.com/2013/07/04/pentax-k-01-marc-newson-camera-resurrected...-white-colors/

In the press release Pentax mentioned that this new model was released because of increase demand (probably in Japan).
10-09-2016, 10:27 AM   #87
Pentaxian

Aren't you confusing DPReview with Ricoh Imaging? Or perhaps... someone hacked your account? (the fake kenspo, maybe?)
Let's go directly to the press release:
"The PENTAX K-S1's power switch, mode dial, OK button and grip all feature LED body illumination, each of which indicates the current status of camera operation. The LEDs for the power switch, for instance, stay green during still-image shooting, but change color to red during movie recording. When the Face Detection function is activated, the number of LEDs illuminated on the grip corresponds with the number of faces that has been detected. These LED body illumination give a decorative illumination to the choice of distinctive body colors, furthering the look of the camera as a sophisticated digital device."
PENTAX K-S1 An standard-class digital SLR camera, featuring outstanding imaging performance rivaling that of high-end models, a progressive body design and innovative Body Illumination interface?RICOH IMAGING
Or to the dedicated site section:
Light communicates camera status
Body illumination
The body illumination uses LED to display camera status. This use of light provides intuitive camera control. The design floats like a light display for a unique sense of presence.
[Display sample]
Main switch
Green for still images, and red for movies
Grip
The 5 lights in a line display Face Detection, Remote Control, and a countdown for Self-timer
Mode dial
The currently set mode appears in green. When shutter release is available, the OK button is lit in blue.
Feature 2?K-S1 | RICOH IMAGING

---------- Post added 09-10-16 at 08:37 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Google Translate
page 6 and there is info at this site as mentioned above.

Pentax K-01 Marc Newson camera resurrected in blue and white colors | Photo Rumors

In the press release Pentax mentioned that this new model was released because of increase demand (probably in Japan).
You're not even trying.

There's no "very successful" in that press release, besides I already mentioned the blue model - a new batch made due to continued demand in Japan - in post #73. A new batch because the K-01 was already discontinued.
Yes, they don't even say "increased demand".

As for the Chinese text... no "very successful" either, and it's contradicting the press release by saying the K-01 was not discontinued.

Last edited by Kunzite; 10-09-2016 at 10:40 AM.
10-09-2016, 10:38 AM - 1 Like   #88
Veteran Member

You are entitled to your opinions, but they are just that, opinions. I am still seeing new and used-like-new K-01, K-50, and K-S2 units out there, and of course K-70 sales will drag a little because of that. My personal opinion is that the lower tier market is tilting towards MILC, and if that is true, then then these cameras will never see the demand Pentax, Canon, and Nikon have been hoping for - which is the very reason this thread exists. I am seeing good pictures posted here by K-70 users; K-70 users are reporting quality better than K-30/50. At some point I will buy one, unless something even better comes along, but since my K-30 is just 22 months old, right now I don't feel any great compulsion to buy anything right now, and {coming back to the purpose of this thread} I would dearly love an MILC variant of the K-70 to be one of the options made available to me.
My feeling is that the cheaper, mass DSLR market in the West has changed a great deal from what it was 5-10 years ago when digital DSLRs were still new and sexy. Now they are everywhere, there is no novelty in them and overall they are about as interesting as kettles. The scene has moved on and split into several different things - better smartphones, GoPros and adventure cams with good video, drones/gadgets, Instax and super retro, and a plethora of mirrorless cameras of all kinds. So I would guess it is high time for the DSLR camera-makers, or some of them, to move on. I think the new Canon M5 is a pretty big sign of this. There are still sales in the newly industrialised world, and very much so at the high end, but in the West the massmarket end is feeling like it's at the fag end of its run. Time for something very new. I'm sorry if some Pentax cameras are not selling well, but I suspect Nikon and Canon may be finding the same.
10-09-2016, 10:50 AM   #89
Banned

You're not even trying.
The problem is that we don't always get a memo from Tokyo about these things. You want official things and numbers, while mostly they are not available. That also caused the issue about sales numbers for the K-1. You kept thinking a long time that the official run of 7.000 units production per month was still on because there wasn't a memo about it stating something else. Well it wasn't, still isn't and here is my prediction.....it will never go back to that hi number.
10-09-2016, 10:58 AM - 1 Like   #90
Pentaxian

Not having data should prevent you from making claims. Instead, you seems to think that you can make any claim you want, after which, hey, it's not your fault, those *(@#(&@ Japanese won't give you data to support them

And, I'm not making any claims about Pentax keeping a constant 7,000 K-1 units/month production rate; you made that up, too. The initial production volume is just an indication (but never an exact figure) on how many cameras they're expecting to sell.
You are invited to search through my posts, if you think otherwise.