Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 133 Likes Search this Thread
10-07-2016, 03:28 AM - 1 Like   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The K1000 is huge. Make it an MX body.

10-07-2016, 06:02 AM   #17

Photos: Albums
It's a shame that it's so difficult to build a K1000 or even MX-like full frame digital camera. Wouldn't it be great if sensor, stabilisation, screen and battery were much thinner? I guess we will have to wait a few more years...
10-07-2016, 06:17 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by antipattern Quote
It's a shame that it's so difficult to build a K1000 or even MX-like full frame digital camera. Wouldn't it be great if sensor, stabilisation, screen and battery were much thinner? I guess we will have to wait a few more years...
Yeah, a DSLR needs a big battery, LCD screen, buffer, CPU chip (and possibly others, for specialized purposes), SR all kinds of things. And it has more buttons than those old, manual SLRs. So there are numerous reasons, but I do agree with you. Would be really cool to have a high quality digital sensor inside one of those cult-classic SLRs
That said, the Pentax K-01 and K-S1 are already really quite small. Pentax is not bad when it comes to making compact designs
10-07-2016, 06:42 AM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Tony Belding Quote
What I'd love the most. . .

Full-frame mirrorless with vintage SLR styling and control dials.

What we're more likely to get. . .

APS-C with a DSLR-like control scheme and awkward styling that's meant to loosely invoke the K-1000 but doesn't really.

LOL, Tony you nailed my thoughts exactly.

I REALLY want this to be a full-frame mirrorless with vintage SLR styling and control dials. Pentax has a few examples to copy from...

10-07-2016, 08:50 AM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
The K1000 is huge. Make it an MX body.
As soon as you put up that picture, the "classic" styling that was characteristic of all those cameras is obvious. I thought the point of this particular rumor was to return to that style {which I like much better than the "stealth" style introduced by the Canon T-90}. A camera the size of my Super Program would be great, if they could pack everything into that size, but even K-1000 size would be welcome as long as they went back to that style.
10-07-2016, 08:57 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well, whatever it is, it will have to have video that matches the A7S.
Enhanced video is the only "business need" that is not in Pentax cameras.

The price points are there to justify.

So either a K3 III with video, or this new mirrorless camera with video.
It makes more sense for this mirrorless camera to be the video platform.
10-07-2016, 09:05 AM   #22

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Yeah, a DSLR needs a big battery, LCD screen, buffer, CPU chip (and possibly others, for specialized purposes), SR all kinds of things. And it has more buttons than those old, manual SLRs. So there are numerous reasons, but I do agree with you. Would be really cool to have a high quality digital sensor inside one of those cult-classic SLRs
That said, the Pentax K-01 and K-S1 are already really quite small. Pentax is not bad when it comes to making compact designs
Yeah, it's a balancing act. Take the Nikon DF for example, although not mirrorless it goes in that direction. But it just looks oversized and inconvenient. Now my Pentax ME on the other hand...

10-07-2016, 09:53 AM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
Well, whatever it is, it will have to have video that matches the A7S.
Enhanced video is the only "business need" that is not in Pentax cameras.

The price points are there to justify.

So either a K3 III with video, or this new mirrorless camera with video.
It makes more sense for this mirrorless camera to be the video platform.
A Ricoh/Fuji FF MILC with a suite of new electronic lenses and a (manual) K-mount adapter?
10-07-2016, 10:05 AM   #24
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
A Ricoh/Fuji FF MILC with a suite of new electronic lenses and a (manual) K-mount adapter?
I don't think so. If Fujifilm would like to work together then they would have started with that with Hasselblad on the new MF camera.
10-07-2016, 10:28 AM   #25
Pentaxian

At least we know how it will look like.
The middle between K1000 (1976) and K-01 (2012) is 1994!

So it will probably be called Z-5D. Pentax Z-5 - Pentax Autofocus Film SLRs - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications
That is quite clever of Pentax. Vintage but still operated like a modern DSLR.
10-07-2016, 10:38 AM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Crazy as it may sound, a "K1000" recreated as a Fuji Instax camera would probably sell more units that any other ideas added together. These things do appear to be pretty popular.
10-07-2016, 02:02 PM   #27
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
At least we know how it will look like.
The middle between K1000 (1976) and K-01 (2012) is 1994!

So it will probably be called Z-5D. Pentax Z-5 - Pentax Autofocus Film SLRs - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications
That is quite clever of Pentax. Vintage but still operated like a modern DSLR.
By Dog, that's one fugly camera
I'd much rather see some K1000-inspired retro design, with bulletproof construction, lots of dials, a K-mount and EVF. That'd be very nice.

Also, I forget who, but someone mentioned an FF cooperation with Fuji. Well, you can forget about that, as Fuji were very forthcoming in their view on 35mm - they're not interested, as the quality difference with APS-C is too small.
10-08-2016, 05:31 AM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kharan Quote
Also, I forget who, but someone mentioned an FF cooperation with Fuji. Well, you can forget about that, as Fuji were very forthcoming in their view on 35mm - they're not interested, as the quality difference with APS-C is too small.
I happen to think that Fuji are right about that. They are dedicated to APS-C and medium format, and it makes sense. And even though the Pentax K-1 has been very well received, I couldn't help thinking it wasn't entirely sensible to add another format between the APS-C DSLRs and the 645 system.

And yet, here I am dropping most of my other cameras in favor of a Sony Alpha A7, because it's 135 format and works with all those adapted vintage SLR lenses (Takumars!), without any crop factor or focal reducer or other such nonsense.
10-08-2016, 05:41 AM   #29
Pentaxian

I don't trust statements made by companies which are backed into a corner, saying that they don't want to be elsewhere. You know the joke about that kid, falling off a bike - he gathered himself from the ditch, mud on his clothes, scratched knees, and said to the other kids watching: "what? That's where I wanted to get off the bike!".

The Pentax K-1 was the most sensible move for Ricoh Imaging; it allows them to sell 2000 euro cameras and expensive lenses to match - which is very difficult to do with APS-C. It allows them to grow the K-mount upwards; and to keep the best spending customers who might otherwise migrate to other brands' FF products.
10-08-2016, 07:52 AM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kharan Quote
By Dog, that's one fugly camera
I'd much rather see some K1000-inspired retro design, with bulletproof construction, lots of dials, a K-mount and EVF. That'd be very nice.

Argument from a position of weakness?