Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 133 Likes Search this Thread
10-08-2016, 08:59 AM - 1 Like   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Argument from a position of weakness?
Fuji have a profile among photography folk some way ahead of Pentax, I would guess, and quite likely a better markeshare too. The bulk of their development of modern digital equipment is already done. They have a particularly strong following among high-end and professional users which is where the bulk of future revenue and profits is going to come from for all camera-makers. And unlike the DSLR outfits they aren't facing the daunting challenges of a future changeover to mirrorless. Not a bad position to be in. If Pentax could produce something as impressive as the Fuji X-T2 then they would be really steaming.

Last edited by mecrox; 10-08-2016 at 09:41 AM.
10-08-2016, 09:57 AM   #32
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mecrox Quote
Fuji have a profile among photography folk some way ahead of Pentax, I would guess, and quite likely a better markeshare too. The bulk of their development of modern digital equipment is already done. They have a particularly strong following among high-end and professional users which is where the bulk of future revenue and profits is going to come from for all camera-makers. And unlike the DSLR outfits they aren't facing the daunting challenges of a future changeover to mirrorless. Not a bad position to be in. If Pentax could produce something as impressive as the Fuji X-T2 then they would be really steaming.
Ricoh -
  • Doesn't develop/manufacture sensors
  • Doesn't develop/manufacture a camera/video imaging processor
  • Hasn't yet developed EVF technology (though at one time said they were waiting for OLED)
  • Has spent its non-traditional mount (SLR) energy on Q
  • Has not developed 'viral marketing' relationships as Fuji has
  • Has reduced traditional global marketing infrastructure (if that's even possible) in western markets
  • Hasn't (apparently) migrated the manufacturing process engineering necessary for MILC profitability from the parent to the child company

Which is why I have always been skeptical about a larger format Ricoh / Pentax MILC. They would need to develop everything from scratch and component suppliers, with various limiting factors.

But for some reason I have a sense something is changing.

Last edited by monochrome; 10-08-2016 at 10:11 AM.
10-08-2016, 10:05 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Ricoh -
  • Doesn't develop /manufacture sensors
  • Doesn't develop/manufacture a camera/video imaging processor
  • Hasn't yet developed EVF technology (though at one time said they were waiting for OLED)
  • Has spent its non-traditional mount (SLR) energy on Q
  • Has not developed 'viral marketing' relationships as Fuji has
  • Has reduced traditional global marketing infrastructure (if that's even possible) in western markets
  • Hasn't (apparently) migrated the manufacturing process engineering necessary for MILC profitability from the parent to the child company

Which is why I have always been skeptical about a larger format Ricoh / Pentax MILC. They would need to develop everything from scratch and component suppliers, with various limiting factors.

But for some reason I have a sense something is changing.
The head of the Ricoh imaging division is a very bright spark with a view (and business experience) far beyond the traditional photography business, imho. I would not rule anything out, including alliances, mergers, etc.
10-08-2016, 10:08 AM   #34
ogl
Banned

Ricoh -
[*]Hasn't yet developed EVF technology (though at one time said they were waiting for OLED)
I had EVF for Ricoh GXR from 2012. But it was developed on 2009. It was better than Panasonic Lumix GF1 - bigger and brighter.

Last edited by ogl; 10-08-2016 at 11:00 AM.
10-08-2016, 10:11 AM   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mecrox Quote
I would not rule anything out, including alliances, mergers, etc.
The American idiom 'something out of left field' wouldn't surprise me at all.
10-08-2016, 10:45 AM   #36
Veteran Member

The American idiom 'something out of left field' wouldn't surprise me at all.
Yes, who knows. Panasonic would probably be a candidate. My understanding is that Pany already provide a lot of the stuff which goes into Leica cameras and they could provide quite a few of the things you listed earlier as yet-to-dos. The argument is that Pany get to do FF by proxy for brands known for FF while at the same time using that revenue/scale to lay off the development costs of what they themselves are best known for, i.e. top video on the m43 platform.

Last edited by mecrox; 10-08-2016 at 11:06 AM.
10-08-2016, 10:47 AM   #37
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Ricoh -
They do not need to develop everything from scratch, they have useful experience from at least 4 different systems.
Pentax Q - A complete mirrorless system where alot of the design can be up scaled to larger formats.
Ricoh GXR - A large sensor mirrorless system
Pentax K - K01 and DSLRs with LV have already the basic tech needed for large sensor MILC.
Ricoh GR - Large sensor mirrorless camera with fixed lens.

They might not offer the most advanced or highest performance mirrorless at the first try. But Ricoh/Pentax can offer something more important IMO, cameras designed for photographers, instead of high tech toys designed for geeks like some other brands tend to do. Cameras with impressive spec sheets, but frustrating to use.

Last edited by Fogel70; 10-08-2016 at 11:10 AM.
10-08-2016, 11:41 AM - 1 Like   #38
Veteran Member

A budget APS-C with EVF that was optimized to work with old MF K-Mount lenses would be the digital reincarnation of the K1000 and perfect for college students and 20-somethings taking photo classes. Make the body cheap, add 3 old M primes and you've got a budget system!
10-08-2016, 11:49 AM - 2 Likes   #39
Pentaxian

A cheap body made for youngsters with no money. I doubt it will happen
10-08-2016, 12:06 PM   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by grahame Quote
I saw this and want to post it here:
More on the rumored Pentax mirrorless camera | Pentax Rumors

Really not much has been said other than the title:

"I received an update on the rumored Pentax mirrorless camera – it was described to me as something between the Pentax K-01 (pictured above) and the vintage K1000 SLR camera (see it here on Wikipedia). The official announcement / shipment is expected in Spring of 2017. This is all I have for now. If you have any additional information on this rumored model, you can contact me anonymously here"
The more I see pictures of the K-01 (never been up close to one) I keep wondering who at Hoya gave that camera a green-light to production. I also wonder if the poor sales of the K-01 is making Ricoh less interested in creating a new mirrorless K-mount camera.
10-08-2016, 12:07 PM   #41
mee
Veteran Member

Or they could just buy a K-r/K-30/K-50/K-S1/K-S2, disable autofocus, set the camera to Manual exposure mode, and disable the back LCD panel. Voila.. we're back in the stoneage.
10-08-2016, 12:22 PM   #42
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
The more I see pictures of the K-01 (never been up close to one) I keep wondering who at Hoya gave that camera a green-light to production. I also wonder if the poor sales of the K-01 is making Ricoh less interested in creating a new mirrorless K-mount camera.
The K-01 sold more copy's then K-S1.
10-08-2016, 12:26 PM   #43
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Wasn't talking about K-S1, K-S1 also looked pretty cartoonish with LED's, K-01 was discounted into the earth at the end of normal sales. But whatever.
10-08-2016, 12:29 PM   #44
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Source, please?
10-08-2016, 12:31 PM - 2 Likes   #45
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Or they could just buy a K-r/K-30/K-50/K-S1/K-S2, disable autofocus, set the camera to Manual exposure mode, and disable the back LCD panel. Voila.. we're back in the stoneage.
Not stoneage. Just a tool forcing you to your brain some other way. Different does not mean stone age.