Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-07-2016, 05:49 AM   #136
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Float Quote
they made a version of the 31mm for either M or LTM iirc.
Maybe it was 43mm?

12-07-2016, 08:47 AM   #137
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Not completely open since there are still the Nikon 1 cameras. Not that they have been a huge success either: there are only three bodies available and the latest one (Nikon 1 J5) was announced 20 months ago, an eternity for an entry-level camera.
It seems Nikon 1 is dead and replaced by several P&S cameras with 1" sensor.

---------- Post added 12-07-2016 at 08:50 AM ----------

interestingly, Pentax has made at least one rangefinder lens. they made a version of the 31mm for either M or LTM iirc.
Limited quantity (800 pcs. in silver and 1200 in black)
https://www.cameraquest.com/ltmlens.htm
and not Pentax, it could be Cosina as already said.

Pentax 43/1.9 Limited

Last edited by ogl; 12-07-2016 at 08:54 AM.
12-07-2016, 09:54 AM   #138
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
It seems Nikon 1 is dead and replaced by several P&S cameras with 1" sensor.

(...)
Ahhh... the saga of Nikon DL 18-50, 24-85 and 24-500...

Announced at CP+ in February and said to be available in Spring 2016.

April 20, 2016:
QuoteOriginally posted by Nikon:
The premium compact cameras, Nikon DL18-50 f/1.8-2.8, DL24-85 f/1.8-2.8, and DL24-500 f/2.8-5.6, will be delayed due to the serious issues with the integrated circuit for image processing built into the three new premium compact cameras, originally scheduled for a June 2016 release.

The new release date has yet to be determined and we will announce the information as soon as it is decided.
Nikon | News | Update on digital camera release

September 2016: delayed indefinitely

Nikon DL cameras delayed “indefinitely”? | Nikon Rumors

Nikon DL cameras delayed because of serious issues with the integrated circuit for image processing | Nikon Rumors

November 2016, from a Nikon representative at the Salon de la Photo in Paris :"The Nikon DL cameras should be launched during Q1 2017." See also Des explications sur les retards des Nikon DL et KeyMission 360 if you understand some French.

On the other hand, there are three Nikon 1 cameras and thirteen 1 Nikkor lenses available. Nothing was announced recently but you can purchase and use them.
12-07-2016, 10:08 AM   #139
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Ahhh... the saga of Nikon DL 18-50, 24-85 and 24-500...

Announced at CP+ in February and said to be available in Spring 2016.

April 20, 2016:

Nikon | News | Update on digital camera release

September 2016: delayed indefinitely

On the other hand, there are three Nikon 1 cameras and thirteen 1 Nikkor lenses available. Nothing was announced recently but you can purchase and use them.

I know. But Nikon 1 is dead anyway. Maybe you can buy this system in your country, because nobody need it. Low sales, low demands.

I remember that I saw Pentax *ist DL in some stores 2 years after this camera was discontinued.

12-07-2016, 10:25 AM   #140
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I think to do mirrorless right they need a new mount.
If they could do bodies with a nice EVF around the size of a ME and a new mount to accommodate the shorter registration distance, that could be pretty nice. Then also have an included adapter for K mount that allows full lens communication and AF to win over existing K mount users. The K adapter would have to protrude so for true compactness you'd want the new lenses. It could be successful.
It would be a big investment but they did a lot of this already with the Q, so maybe some of that tech will scale up a bit to help with the new system.
12-07-2016, 10:59 AM   #141
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
I think to do mirrorless right they need a new mount.
I believe many of us have a mirror-less camera and some lenses already, as a 2nd system or backup.

If pentax changes mount, I will keep what I have right now and probably will not pay a lot $ for a 4th system (after K, NEX/Alpha, Q).

Rangefinder lenses have very short flange distances and incredible optical performance.
Many of them are great, but they are not great because they are RF lenses. RF lenses have a lot limits, such as minimum focus distance and edge performance on the wide end. I am sure many test/review will report not up to the "excellent" standard if the lenses are just released by other lens makers. I like the special taste and character, but these "taste and character" can also be interpreted as shortcomings for someone else.
Sony had to add the distance back to the end of lens mount on the G master lenses, for obvious reasons. No optical design can completely overcome this issue unless curved sensor is available.
12-07-2016, 12:06 PM - 1 Like   #142
Pentaxian

I don't think they need a new mount either. Who said earlier that the thin mounts generally require the difference be made up in the lenses? In the end, the systems end up looking about the same, and the DA lenses really add nearly nothing to size. I'd snap up a K-02 with a full-frame and EVF in a millisecond, though.

12-07-2016, 12:29 PM   #143
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

They would probably need a new mount to hit the rumored form factor of being something like a K-1000 unless sensor tech gets a lot thinner.
If they could make that classic SLR form factor work with current lenses and no adapter it would be cool but that seems to have eluded them so far.
12-07-2016, 12:36 PM   #144
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jcdoss Quote
K-02 with a full-frame and EVF
It wont be FF, that would cannibalse the K1.However a APSc would be what many would "snap up".

A smarter move would be to somehow acquire the Sammy NX system.It only needs a longer telephoto than the 50-200mm.Plenty of other lenses do a very good job.
12-07-2016, 12:51 PM   #145
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
A smarter move would be to somehow acquire the Sammy NX system.It only needs a longer telephoto than the 50-200mm.Plenty of other lenses do a very good job.
Aside from the fact that it's not going to happen, if for no other reason than the money spent in the acquisition would probably be more than the Pentax R&D budget, what makes you think Ricoh could make a success of something that Samsung couldn't?
12-07-2016, 01:06 PM   #146
Pentaxian

When Ricoh comes with a mirrorless system they will have to aim it at new customers, There are not enough Pentaxians to justify the development costs and cannibalization of aps-c dslrs so no backwards compatibility. Just an adapter for K-mount, probably sans screw drive. Biggest problem is new lenses. When you see how much difficulty they are having bringing out lenses for the K-1 (only three Ricoh developed lenses so far) Imagine how many lenses there would be for a new mount without legacy. Sure you can adapt lenses (and not just K-mount) but a system needs a set of lenses to get momentum. Third party won't be quick to adopt the new mount. So what to do? nx-mount? I doubt Samsung will sell it. A question of pride. Sony doesn't license the e-mount. They could join m43, but little sensor and it's not like that is a huge success for Panalympus, but there would be a lot of lenses available from scratch. A cooperation with Fuji? x-mount would be Ideal for Ricoh. Fuji have the same philosophy Pentax has. A focus on aps-c and a photographer centered design.
12-07-2016, 01:09 PM   #147
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
what makes you think Ricoh could make a success of something that Samsung couldn't?
Firstly, the loyal user base.....Sammys is minimal( their system started 2010, the last release was early 2015 hardly a time frame to build brand loyalty, but there is some!)

Secondly, the quality of the hardware.....if a recognised camera company had of released the NX1/NX500/Galaxy NX they would have sold extremely well due to the excellent results they produce.
12-07-2016, 03:04 PM   #148
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by grahame Quote
If pentax changes mount, I will keep what I have right now and probably will not pay a lot $ for a 4th system (after K, NEX/Alpha, Q).
Changing mount is not an option, we shouldn't even discuss it.
Adding a new mount to the existing ones, that's another matter. Yes, Pentax K will continue (otherwise why the K-1 and the new D FA lens line?). However, at some point Ricoh Imaging might add a dedicated large sensor mirrorless mount - if/when they decide they want a piece of that market, too.

---------- Post added 08-12-16 at 12:07 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
Firstly, the loyal user base.....Sammys is minimal( their system started 2010, the last release was early 2015 hardly a time frame to build brand loyalty, but there is some!)

Secondly, the quality of the hardware.....if a recognised camera company had of released the NX1/NX500/Galaxy NX they would have sold extremely well due to the excellent results they produce.
A recognized camera company would not release something as awful as the Galaxy NX.
If you want Pentax to make awful products... go away, find yourself another brand.
12-07-2016, 03:57 PM   #149
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
When Ricoh comes with a mirrorless system they will have to aim it at new customers, There are not enough Pentaxians to justify the development costs and cannibalization of aps-c dslrs so no backwards compatibility. Just an adapter for K-mount, probably sans screw drive. Biggest problem is new lenses. When you see how much difficulty they are having bringing out lenses for the K-1 (only three Ricoh developed lenses so far) Imagine how many lenses there would be for a new mount without legacy. Sure you can adapt lenses (and not just K-mount) but a system needs a set of lenses to get momentum. Third party won't be quick to adopt the new mount. So what to do? nx-mount? I doubt Samsung will sell it. A question of pride. Sony doesn't license the e-mount. They could join m43, but little sensor and it's not like that is a huge success for Panalympus, but there would be a lot of lenses available from scratch. A cooperation with Fuji? x-mount would be Ideal for Ricoh. Fuji have the same philosophy Pentax has. A focus on aps-c and a photographer centered design.
Fuji's X mount doesn't have IBIS so that's a complete nonstarter, I suspect (and a huge mistake on Fuji's part probably). I wouldn't expect fireworks. If or when Pentax do a mirrorlesss camera it is likely to be pretty small potatoes. The bar is now set very high and lots of niches are taken already. With the camera market imploding the time for new mounts, big money investments, lavish marketing etc is likely going if not gone for good.
12-07-2016, 04:06 PM   #150
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by mecrox Quote
I wouldn't expect fireworks. If or when Pentax do a mirrorlesss camera it is likely to be pretty small potatoes. The bar is now set very high and lots of niches are taken already. With the camera market imploding the time for new mounts, big money investments, lavish marketing etc is likely going if not gone for good.
I don't think Ricoh-Imaging is in a position to start a new product line with a new mount that needs a new line of lenses. Not now and not in 2017. So start to put this idea on ice for some years.