Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 133 Likes Search this Thread
12-08-2016, 06:54 AM   #166

QuoteOriginally posted by grahame Quote
No optical design can completely overcome this issue unless curved sensor is available.
now this is an interesting idea that I cant believe I didn't think of! I curve my film in my homemade pinhole cameras to reduce vignetting!

12-08-2016, 11:11 AM   #167
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Yes, and the Galaxy NX. And the NX-1
So you handled these 3, for how long?
12-08-2016, 12:11 PM   #168
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Float Quote
now this is an interesting idea that I cant believe I didn't think of! I curve my film in my homemade pinhole cameras to reduce vignetting!
Some old roll film cameras with a cheap fixed lens used to curve the film.
It matched the field curvature in one direction,
and kept the film more evenly flat in the other.

But fabricating a curved digital sensor could be a very costly enterprise.

<idlespeculation>
An intelligent flexible self-focusing sensor that automatically configures itself into the sharp part of the lens field.
</idlespeculation>
12-08-2016, 12:21 PM   #169
Pentaxian

Surfar, and if I say for how long, what would be the next lame question? In which order I handled them? Their color? The exact GPS locations?
If you cannot handle an informed, based on personal experience and essentially correct opinion, just ignore it.

---------- Post added 08-12-16 at 09:23 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by grahame Quote
No optical design can completely overcome this issue unless curved sensor is available.
I wonder if that would work with legacy lenses, and with lenses from - let's say - 15 to 560mm.
I'd say that's a poor solution for an ILC. Perhaps for a fixed lens camera...

12-08-2016, 12:44 PM   #170
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mecrox Quote
With the camera market imploding the time for new mounts, big money investments, lavish marketing etc is likely going if not gone for good.
The camera market has already imploded. The foundation for recovery is being shaped right now.

The US consumer economy is about to ramp up dramatically. 2H2017 and all 2018 will be robust.

Consider EU two years behind US in Econ cycle evolution, Japan indeterminate and China / Pacific ex-Japan potentially entering recession.

New platform introductions will be timed to coincide with upswings in consumer disposable income in a manufacturer's primary market(s).
12-08-2016, 12:50 PM   #171
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
essentially correct opinion
In WHO's opinion?

Last edited by surfar; 12-08-2016 at 01:17 PM.
12-08-2016, 02:19 PM - 2 Likes   #172
Veteran Member

Geez - it's like there's two conversations going on here and the second one is going on for longer than necessary.

12-08-2016, 02:53 PM   #173
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
The camera market has already imploded. The foundation for recovery is being shaped right now.

The US consumer economy is about to ramp up dramatically. 2H2017 and all 2018 will be robust.

Consider EU two years behind US in Econ cycle evolution, Japan indeterminate and China / Pacific ex-Japan potentially entering recession.

New platform introductions will be timed to coincide with upswings in consumer disposable income in a manufacturer's primary market(s).
I didn't imagine Japan's photo galaxy could be that "US preliminary new cabinet expectations" oriented...
The question being rather "which products could help any recovery" ; than "which policy gimmicks are leading the global economy recovery" let appart any geopolitical short-term and sustainable mid-term impact/consideration

At this time, i regret not seing much more than probable future earthcakes and tsunamis impacting both japanese producing economy (in a proper sense) and western consumers solvability (in a figured sense).

Last edited by Zygonyx; 12-08-2016 at 03:06 PM.
12-08-2016, 03:15 PM   #174
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Vylen Quote
the second one is going on for longer than necessary.
Just inquisitive, that's all!
12-08-2016, 03:31 PM   #175
Veteran Member

Sounds like wishful thinking, to be honest. See Tom today. A rise in consumer confidence won't necessarily translate into better camera sales unless a new and fairly compelling invention come gizmo arrives to make cameras interesting again. Until then it's the same old same old and it appears consumers are just not very interested anymore. Technology and culture have moved on. Nothing the companies have tried over the past few years has shifted the dial an inch. Maybe something amazing like 8K will eventually do it. Who knows.

Last edited by mecrox; 12-08-2016 at 04:31 PM.
12-08-2016, 05:17 PM   #176
Veteran Member

Consider EU two years behind US in Econ cycle evolution
I wonder if this is accurate information?
At least in Germany, consumer economy is very strong NOW and US economy is considered "indeterminate" in a Trump era. I don't see how 2018 predictions can be possible today.

At least my photo friends have their pockets full of cash but don't buy cameras like they used to. Cameras today are good enough and we simply return to the pre digital hype era of a solid but small photo market.

Last edited by falconeye; 12-08-2016 at 05:27 PM.
12-08-2016, 06:18 PM   #177
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
I wonder if this is accurate information?
At least in Germany, consumer economy is very strong NOW and US economy is considered "indeterminate" in a Trump era. I don't see how 2018 predictions can be possible today.

At least my photo friends have their pockets full of cash but don't buy cameras like they used to. Cameras today are good enough and we simply return to the pre digital hype era of a solid but small photo market.
The trajectory of the US economy for the next 18 months is already locked in place. Consumer confidence is up, employment is up, wages are up (you have to read behind the top-line numbers) inflation is coming (that's good) - and business investment is starting to pick up. Exports are tough with the strong dollar though.

Trump won't be able to change anything for at least a year, and everything he proposes (lower taxes, deregulation, infrastructure spending) is stimulative after that. Germany is only 35% closed (it consumes only 1/3 of its production and exports the balance) - US is 81% closed (we consume 4/5 of our production).
12-08-2016, 07:30 PM   #178
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
Wall street lost their collective minds for a single day a month ago after Trump won the election. Then they got out from under the bed and realized the world didn't implode like the fearmongering news and online message boards told them it would. Since then, the DJIA has gained almost 6% in the past month soaring to new highs.

Of course natural disaster or some other disruptive event could occur. But, otherwise, the economy didn't and won't just drop off the cliff as soon as Trump takes the oath of office. Or anyone else had taken the oath of office. Thankfully it doesn't work like that.
12-08-2016, 08:39 PM - 1 Like   #179
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Wall street lost their collective minds for a single day a month ago after Trump won the election. Then they got out from under the bed and realized the world didn't implode like the fearmongering news and online message boards told them it would. Since then, the DJIA has gained almost 6% in the past month soaring to new highs.

Of course natural disaster or some other disruptive event could occur. But, otherwise, the economy didn't and won't just drop off the cliff as soon as Trump takes the oath of office. Or anyone else had taken the oath of office. Thankfully it doesn't work like that.
It was all technical. I had Bloomberg Live on my phone and cable on TV watching the market and the talking heads melt down together.

I slept for a couple hours, then I called the head of our trading desk at 5:30 the morning after - he said, "EVERY GOOD TILL CANCELED SellStop on the S&P500 futures contract on earth filled overnight. Literally. Every. Contract. Completely cleared the entire world's Hedge Book. All of it. Literally."

He said Carl Icahn left the Trump victory party early and walked to his office.

Computer algorithms, not people, sold everyone out - short - and they had to buy back - which created momentum. And now psychology - Behavioral Finance - has taken hold.

But nothing REAL has changed in a month, and it it won't change for at least another year.

Last edited by monochrome; 12-08-2016 at 08:51 PM.
12-09-2016, 03:42 AM   #180
Veteran Member

Germany is only 35% closed (it consumes only 1/3 of its production and exports the balance) - US is 81% closed (we consume 4/5 of our production).
Ok, fair enough.
But in order to compare export rates in a meaningful way, one first has to define economic regions of comparable size. Otherwise, one is ONLY seeing a size effect. In order to compare with the US, it is best to compare core Europe (F, UK, NL, B, L, D, A, CH [aka DACH]) with it. I assume core Europe does still export more than the US because it is embedded in the rest of the EU.
Or speaking otherwise, it would be interesting to see the export rate of California, a state half the population of Germany.