Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-14-2016, 10:38 PM   #226
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
It shows that people have double standards.
Not, if the designs aren't equally bad.

I give it to you that the Newson/Ive Leica design has problems too, but I think it is clear that is not as bad aesthetically as the K-01.

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
That is an opinion and not a fact.
Let's call that your opinion, and close this discussion.

It has been our good fortune that Pentax never gave us food for discussions like this again.

12-14-2016, 10:52 PM   #227
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Does the Digilux fail a design principles test as well?
I don't know, I haven't looked at it.

My interest with the K-01 was due to wishing Pentax doing well and as there was a debate about the K-01's design and a trend of "de gustibus non est disputandum" emerged, I wanted to start a more objective discussion back then.

However, since you brought up the Steve Huff K-01 Review, here's a quote from the review:
"I am not a fan of the design at all. In use it is very boxy, not ergonomic, and feels like I am shooting with one of those toy cameras you see in the little kid isle at a toy store. "
Another quote:
"It seems the biggest feature of this camera is the design, and that is a shame really."
Final one
"...the design is a fail. It’s too bulky, too fat, looks like a toy and is not comfortable to shoot. It doesn’t feel like a camera I can “connect” with."
While Steve Huff stresses that his comments are his opinion only, I don't think that wide-spread but independently held views on a camera (the TCS also criticised ergonomics, etc.) coincide that much unless there is more than just opinions at play.

Let's not forget that the K-01 was short-lived and while it had other problems (slow AF, no EVF) and I have no information how much the looks and ergonomic shortcomings hurt it, I think it is fair to say that the latter two issues certainly did not help.
12-15-2016, 12:34 AM   #228
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Mmm it is a totally different system indeed but may I remind some of you that Tamron DOES have MF design although quite old.

Does Bronica brings any souvenir?
12-15-2016, 12:54 AM   #229
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by zoolander Quote
The SD Quattro looks like a camera, it has presence, it looks cool and it looks purposeful.
Really? I think it's awful.

12-15-2016, 12:55 AM   #230
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
K-01 was a Japenese big seller....demand prompted the Smurf model there.

Quirky and colourful always attracts Japanese buyers.

The design was good enough to win a couple of awards, regardless of some people who didn't like it.
12-15-2016, 02:42 AM   #231
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by zoolander Quote
Dude, face facts the Marc Newson design was disgusting.
You are calling something totally subjective a fact. That makes you an idiot in my book.
12-15-2016, 02:44 AM   #232
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
RE: 645D/Z

It has been my supposition that a (potentially) substantial inventory of FA645 lenses not only drove the business decision, pricing model and profitability of Pentax digital MF, it probably also prevents doing anything other than a traditional MF dSLR until the inventory is liquidated.
Ah, so they thought olde gold is still gold and the rest is history. In that case the answer is clear. No need for Marc Newson and Jony Ive to design a new mirrorless generation. Call for Fred Flintstone and Barney Rubble I suspect that the soooo smooth, rather over-designed work of Newson and Ive puts off as many people as it attracts so a more "rugged" take by Flinstone & Rubble Designers Inc. might well appeal anyway.

Last edited by mecrox; 12-15-2016 at 04:13 AM.
12-15-2016, 08:55 AM - 2 Likes   #233
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm not a big fan of Marc Newson but the look of the K-01 is aging quite well. Compare it, for example, against the top 12 cameras from 2012 according to Adorama
Top 12 Digital Cameras for 2012 | Expert photography blogs, tip, techniques, camera reviews - Adorama Learning Center

From a purely aesthetic standpoint, none of those cameras are lookers; they are little more than black boxes and blobs.

It boggles my mind that a visual industry and community can be so conservative and tradition-bound in their tastes.

Yeah, they are tools but even Black & Decker is more willing to experiment and take risks with their product design than any of the camera makers.

Last edited by johnmflores; 12-15-2016 at 07:14 PM.
12-15-2016, 09:07 AM   #234
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
I'm not a big fan of Marc Newson but the look of the K-01 is aging quite well. Compare it, for example, against the top 12 cameras from 2012 according to Adorama
Top 12 Digital Cameras for 2012 | Expert photography blogs, tip, techniques, camera reviews - Adorama Learning Center

From a purely aesthetic standpoint, none of those cameras a lookers; they are little more than black boxes and blobs.

It boggles my mind that a visual industry and community can be so conservative and tradition-bound in their tastes.

Yeah, they are tools, but even Black & Decker is more willing to experiment and take risks with their product design than any of the camera makers.
+1,
i really like my K-01s, and rather than a different look, top notch features and better reactivity would have made a better seller out of it.

Last edited by Zygonyx; 12-15-2016 at 10:27 AM.
12-15-2016, 10:13 AM   #235
Pentaxian

+2

Smurf Brick is the best looking Pentax...liking or not liking is purely personal.
12-15-2016, 11:47 AM - 4 Likes   #236
Veteran Member

You know not much is happening in Pentaxland when we start re-hashing the K-01 debate. Can't wait for February...
12-15-2016, 01:23 PM   #237

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote

From a purely aesthetic standpoint, none of those cameras a lookers; they are little more than black boxes and blobs.

Yeah, they are tools but even Black & Decker is more willing to experiment and take risks with their product design than any of the camera makers.
+3
The camera's failure to ignite the market may have been more rooted in its pricing, the lack of a viewfinder, and the expectations -- especially true at the time -- that a mirrorless camera is a lightweight camera.
12-15-2016, 02:25 PM   #238
Pentaxian

And it didn't had a retro look
12-15-2016, 03:35 PM   #239
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Elliot Quote
+3
The camera's failure to ignite the market may have been more rooted in its pricing, the lack of a viewfinder, and the expectations -- especially true at the time -- that a mirrorless camera is a lightweight camera.
I believe the best looking MILC is the Q-7 - the silver/black version looks exactly like a rangefinder camera of thirty years ago {I got yellow/black only because I got a deal I couldn't turn down}
12-15-2016, 06:55 PM   #240
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I believe the best looking MILC is the Q-7 - the silver/black version looks exactly like a rangefinder camera of thirty years ago {I got yellow/black only because I got a deal I couldn't turn down}
Yes - my wife keeps snitching mine and I have to hunt it down or take the original Q.

* why tiny font?