Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-22-2016, 10:18 AM - 1 Like   #346
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
I'm not even convinced that it works, with a pentaprism - as it needs a properly focused image on a pentaprism side/"wall". The image is focused on the focus screen right below the pentaprism, though. Perhaps it could use that instead (just like we're doing, when focusing manually).
Apparently, it works - Ricoh has a patent about using the AE sensor for contrast detection AF: Ricoh ??????AF?AE??????????????????So-net??? Besides the ones mentioned by JPT.

12-22-2016, 02:19 PM   #347
Veteran Member

Pentax tried an APS-C interchangeable lens mirrorless camera, the K-01, which was not successful.

That means a new Pentax mirrorless camera can go in two directions, full-frame or a smaller sensor.

If they went full-frame, they could keep the K-Mount and not need to worry too much about lenses. However, it would be expensive, and the market for such a camera is doubtful.

If they go to a new, smaller sensor, that would require a new lens mount. Pentax already supports three different lens mounts: K-Mount, 645 and Q. I don't think Pentax has the resources to support yet another lens mount.
12-22-2016, 03:24 PM   #348
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by noblepa Quote
Pentax tried an APS-C interchangeable lens mirrorless camera, the K-01, which was not successful.

That means a new Pentax mirrorless camera can go in two directions, full-frame or a smaller sensor. ....
Assuming you're making the correct generalization. The Canon EOS-M also was not successful outside Japan. Neither had an EVF. Personally, I believe the lack of an EVF is what doomed both cameras. I know for certain that I chose a K-30 over the related K-01 solely because the former has a viewfinder and the latter doesn't, and I'm quite certain I would have gone the other way if both had viewfinders.
12-22-2016, 03:40 PM   #349
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by noblepa Quote
the K-01, which was not successful
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
The Canon EOS-M also was not successful outside Japan

I'm not sure how "not successful" can be defined.....Perhaps, "in your minds"

I did see some facts recently and the Canon M series was amongst the leaders for sales(milc), I wish I knew where I saw it and I would provide a link.
The K-01 sold well when the price was adjusted and many are still in operation. for a not successful camera its a wonder it received those awards?

12-22-2016, 04:43 PM - 1 Like   #350
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That K-01 was 'not successful' has become accepted wisdom, whether it is true or not. Pentax sold 150,000 K-01's including Smurfs in Japan, and who knows how many related K-30/K-50 (essentially the same camera).

I bought a K-01 pre-order instead of a K-30 because I liked the design and I've managed to use it in all conditions. The main fault I find is the 1st-Gen CDAF, which requires a sharp contrast edge to lock focus.

I often wonder how many nay-sayers have an informed opinion

Last edited by monochrome; 12-22-2016 at 04:50 PM.
12-22-2016, 06:14 PM   #351
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
That K-01 was 'not successful' has become accepted wisdom, whether it is true or not. Pentax sold 150,000 K-01's including Smurfs in Japan
Was Smurf a colour? Anyway, my question would be if the K-01 was profitable for Ricoh, I don't know, but it seems likely that it wasn't a profitable camera and there were few opportunities to make it profitable while still making it desirable to consumers. It seems to be difficult to manufacture profitable interchangeable lens cameras these days, if there are unclaimed cash cows in the MILC world, surely Ricoh would be more active in this market.
12-22-2016, 06:37 PM   #352
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

K-01 was really more of a test bed for new technologies and assembly techniques found in K-30/K-50 than an intentional product line. Live View, new IBIS, new CDAF, some other stuff. Whether the camera model itself was profitable is somewhat irrelevant. The technology was proven in a one-off model that could be discarded if the tech failed. Unfortunately the model was not well accepted by the market at the price (Q suffered from a similar problem).

It's almost as if the Newson design and other objections were a smoke screen to separate the model from the real cameras.
QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
Was Smurf a colour? Anyway, my question would be if the K-01 was profitable for Ricoh, I don't know, but it seems likely that it wasn't a profitable camera and there were few opportunities to make it profitable while still making it desirable to consumers. It seems to be difficult to manufacture profitable interchangeable lens cameras these days, if there are unclaimed cash cows in the MILC world, surely Ricoh would be more active in this market.

12-22-2016, 06:38 PM   #353
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
I'm not sure how "not successful" can be defined.....Perhaps, "in your minds"

I did see some facts recently and the Canon M series was amongst the leaders for sales(milc), I wish I knew where I saw it and I would provide a link.
The K-01 sold well when the price was adjusted and many are still in operation. for a not successful camera its a wonder it received those awards?
Two years ago, when I was a Canon user, I heard other Canon users talk about MILC exactly the same way I hear Pentax users talk today - a few thought the EOS-M was wonderful, and everyone else bemoaned the lack of an MILC with EVF. Every time there was rumor of a Canon announcement, top on the list of guesses was "EOS-M + EVF"

---------- Post added 12-22-16 at 08:45 PM ----------

That K-01 was 'not successful' has become accepted wisdom, whether it is true or not. Pentax sold 150,000 K-01's including Smurfs in Japan, and who knows how many related K-30/K-50 (essentially the same camera).

I bought a K-01 pre-order instead of a K-30 because I liked the design and I've managed to use it in all conditions. The main fault I find is the 1st-Gen CDAF, which requires a sharp contrast edge to lock focus.

I often wonder how many nay-sayers have an informed opinion
If you include me in the ranks of "nay-sayers", I will say I was informed. I had owned my Q-7 for five months when my Canon Rebel died. I loved the Q-7 except for its lack of an EVF (*), and that evaluation is why I decided to get the K-30.

(*) Using the Q-7 in sunlight was just as difficult as I expected it to be. I now own several Hoodmans, but I didn't view that as a genuine solution. I tolerate that situation with my secondary camera, but I was not willing to work around it on my primary camera.
12-22-2016, 07:04 PM   #354
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
Was Smurf a colour?

3 colours, and my favourite pentax to look at!....I had a bubblebee(that's 2 colours) and sold it to a friend and got the SMURF!
12-22-2016, 07:35 PM   #355
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

^^ I included you in the ranks of informed judges. I wear a black T-shirt and floppy Tilley hat when shooting K-01 and Q/Q7 in high sunlight - makes a big difference - but I understand the issue and desire for an EVF.
12-22-2016, 08:03 PM   #356
Pentaxian

and desire for an EVF.
Theres been so much written about this and its only needed when a person cant see the screen....a $3 ebay loupe provides a better view( but that's only my opinion).

Canon have catered to the demand with the M5(they missed 4 completely,copying Pentax)....some positive reviews about it too....Ive handled and shot a M3, it was very good.I gave my friend a loupe for Xmas( he wears glasses to read) and he noticed the good live view!

APSc mirrorless has hot competition & weve seen Sammy feel the heat.Fuji/Sony lead and Canon are caterering for their loyalists.

Ricoh will have to come out with something very special to gain any traction(imo).I'm very sceptical.
12-23-2016, 02:52 AM - 1 Like   #357
Veteran Member

K-01 was really more of a test bed for new technologies and assembly techniques found in K-30/K-50 than an intentional product line. Live View, new IBIS, new CDAF, some other stuff. Whether the camera model itself was profitable is somewhat irrelevant. The technology was proven in a one-off model that could be discarded if the tech failed. Unfortunately the model was not well accepted by the market at the price (Q suffered from a similar problem).

It's almost as if the Newson design and other objections were a smoke screen to separate the model from the real cameras.
Not convinced that the K-01 story can be presented as an act of supreme cunning and foresight by Pentax. They got it wrong, simple as that. Part of the upset was setting initial pricing at about twice the going rate.Happens all the time. Every single company has a few of these in its cupboard. So does Pentax. Most folks managed to enjoy the camera once the price became reasonable, and I certainly did, but it had too many limitations to make it a long-term winner. The idea - a K-mount mirrorless camera - was and still is perfectly feasible and might even be more successful today than it was then because today all the technology like on-sensor AF is in place and well understood.Pentax could easily have another go unless their research indicates that such a platform - it's much more than one body - would never sell enough to be a proposition.

Last edited by mecrox; 12-23-2016 at 03:39 AM.
12-23-2016, 07:33 AM   #358
Pentaxian

Well, no big sensor ML in the Ricoh Imaging CES's teasing, limited to Theta & K-1 :

RICOH will hold a booth in CES 2017
12-23-2016, 07:42 AM   #359
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
Well, no big sensor ML in the Ricoh Imaging CES's teasing, limited to Theta & K-1 :

RICOH will hold a booth in CES 2017
They would'nt launch it at CES anyway. CP+ or Photokina. Maybe some theta or WG-news on CES... CP+ will bring more
12-23-2016, 07:50 AM   #360
Pentaxian

K-01 was really more of a test bed for new technologies and assembly techniques found in K-30/K-50 than an intentional product line.
QuoteOriginally posted by mecrox Quote
Not convinced that the K-01 story can be presented as an act of supreme cunning and foresight by Pentax
I wonder why you're not convinced... maybe because you're using a strawman?