Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-17-2016, 02:13 PM   #31

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Updated without any problems. Looking forward to using the new features.

11-17-2016, 03:20 PM   #32
Site Supporter

Great work from Pentax (Ricoh) for this updated firmware !
((I wished I had a K-1))
I used to rave about Fuji being quite good at updating their firmware(s) ... my XE-2 has had several updates and now runs almost the same as their former flagship (X-T1) but this is just wonderful coming from Ricoh!
Happy for you guys!
11-17-2016, 03:52 PM   #33
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
Bulb timer is simply a fantastic feature.

First time its ever available on a DSLR if I'm not wrong.
I find myself taking a decent amount of ND/night shots that need more than one min.
Often 4-16mins in fact, and this helps lots.
It was also on the K-70, as was the red LCD mode. Nice to see them being brought over to the flagship!
11-17-2016, 04:37 PM   #34
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Updated fine last night.

11-17-2016, 04:49 PM   #35
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
It was also on the K-70, as was the red LCD mode. Nice to see them being brought over to the flagship!
Good to know.

For the longest time, this has been a feature I wanted.
Probably due to liability issues if the sensor was damaged being turned on for so long.
11-17-2016, 11:40 PM - 1 Like   #36

Lets hope they will also look into AF adjustment scale and process tweeks that recent survey shows to be most desired Even in recent lenstip.com review of K-1 it was mentioned as one of very needed features- first test body was quite over the edge of af adjustment scale with test lenses used. The other one, on max possible setting. They noted that if scale was extended up to +/-20 points, there would be no need for delay due to use of second camera for this review.
11-18-2016, 12:09 AM - 1 Like   #37
Pentaxian

Oh, hey! I don't know if anyone else noticed this, but night vision has been added to the Memory menu, so you can choose whether the camera remembers whether to blind you on next start up.
11-18-2016, 01:11 AM   #38
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Reed Quote
Even in recent lenstip.com review of K-1 it was mentioned as one of very needed features- first test body was quite over the edge of af adjustment scale with test lenses used. The other one, on max possible setting. They noted that if scale was extended up to +/-20 points, there would be no need for delay due to use of second camera for this review.
??

Front and back focus is to do with sample variation in the manufacturing processes. The PDAF module in the body has not been calibrated properly or a lens element is not perfectly aligned, as examples.

My experience with a lens/camera combination is not relevant to yours.

11-18-2016, 01:31 AM   #39

This is not mine experience It is a statement from lenstip.com review- and I can agree with them. Here is link to that review in polish, english version should be online soon Test Pentax K-1 - Wst.
They used two brand new K-1 bodies, one from retail shop, one provided by Ricoh Poland for review, both had some back-focus problems. The first one, from local distribution was off the limits of normal adjustment, and even service centre "calibration" lenses were off the scale. The other one, borrowed from R-PL was on the very edge of the scale. Sadly we don't know firmware version used for that review.
11-18-2016, 01:40 AM   #40
Loyal Site Supporter

This is not mine experience It is a statement from lenstip.com review- and I can agree with them. Here is link to that review in polish, english version should be online soon Test Pentax K-1 - Wst.
They used two brand new K-1 bodies, one from retail shop, one provided by Ricoh Poland for review, both had some back-focus problems. The first one, from local distribution was off the limits of normal adjustment, and even service centre "calibration" lenses were off the scale. The other one, borrowed from R-PL was on the very edge of the scale. Sadly we don't know firmware version used for that review.
That's funny. My K-1 needs almost no AF microadjustment at all with my various lenses! I was impressed but this characteristic and then I saw your post about lenstip...
11-18-2016, 01:42 AM   #41
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by redpit Quote
That's funny. My K-1 needs almost no AF microadjustment at all with my various lenses! I was impressed but this characteristic and then I saw your post about lenstip...
I've had the same experience. On the other hand, I haven't shot at wider at than f2.8 much. Still, it seems to nail anything at that aperture (if it doesn't, I can safely assume I messed up).
11-18-2016, 01:54 AM   #42

Yup that was kinda odd to me too. They used D-FA 24-70/2.8 and D-FA Macro 100/2.8 for test purposes. If AF adjustment scale is sufficient to correct focus-I'm good. But then some minor tweeks like extending the adjustment range by firmware-would do the job here. And it would be nice to have zoom lenses "wide/tele" ends settings divided in adjustment.
11-18-2016, 02:01 AM   #43
Loyal Site Supporter

This is not mine experience
Think, Reed.

If your version of how back and front end focus works was true, all of us would have the same Polish experience. :-)

This discrepancy between PDAF and CDAF happens across all brands, but Pentax lets you correct for it.

You cannot on a low end Nikon, as my work colleague discovered this week . It has to go to a repairer.

11-18-2016, 02:03 AM   #44
Loyal Site Supporter

. But then some minor tweeks like extending the adjustment range by firmware-would do the job here..
You still don't understand.

The body or lens is out of specification and it's a warranty job.

They will need to physically realign or replace the offending part.

I hope the Lenstip "reviewer" understood photography enough to realize this.
11-18-2016, 02:36 AM   #45
Pentaxian

Lets hope they will also look into AF adjustment scale and process tweeks that recent survey shows to be most desired Even in recent lenstip.com review of K-1 it was mentioned as one of very needed features- first test body was quite over the edge of af adjustment scale with test lenses used. The other one, on max possible setting. They noted that if scale was extended up to +/-20 points, there would be no need for delay due to use of second camera for this review.
DEFINITELY!!!

My FA31's at minus 10.