Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 33 Likes Search this Thread
11-18-2016, 02:57 AM - 1 Like   #46
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
You still don't understand.

The body or lens is out of specification and it's a warranty job.

They will need to physically realign or replace the offending part.

I hope the Lenstip "reviewer" understood photography enough to realize this.
I do perfectly understand how manual AF sensor calibration(support mirror, sensor plane etc) works or manual and service software lens calibration process, and I know how AF adjustment within camera menu works. I have some good years of technical work in service centers behind me, done that stuff as my normal job for some time But that is not the case.
My English is not very good but I will try to explain my point

If the problem can be solved within the end user aviable range and lens FF/BF in controlled environment(aligned and leveled to test target, optimal lighting, proper distance etc.) fits for adjustment in -10/+10 -there is no problem at all.
In my personal experience when I was using service test rigs, alignment testers, projection resolution test etc-most FF/BF issues are user failures, not camera or lens related problem. But you sometimes get a “strange behaving” lens or camera. Mostly due to material tolerance in my opinion.

Then you get a lens, let’s use my DA 50/1.8 for example. It is perfectly working on my third DSLR in a row, set to "0". I borrowed it to my friend- he could not get a proper focus at any distance on his K-50(last firmware). We tested his camera with spyder lenscal in studio environment- not a chance, every shot set ahead of target. On “+10” it was almost there, 2-3 steps more, and it would be perfect. Then, we tried all of his and mine lenses on both mine and his camera-all worked nice, with minor adjustments in the available range even with F1.4 lenses.
Now my point is- would you like to give your camera, everything working just fine on almost all lenses to service center, wait for it for a month, and risk it will be returned working perfectly with that one “maybe messed up” lens, and all other shifted over the range. Or you would like to have this user available range extended like other camera brands have? I know you can return a new lens to get a better copy, but then you might get even worse and worse, and personally-I don't have time for this.
My test of other friends cameras show that both Canon and Nikon range is at least 1,5 longer for both negative and positive ranges, more, it’s more dense, you can get adjustment more accurate.
I know we can use develop mode, shift af range globaly but its not the solution. And should not be done by end user without experience.

11-18-2016, 03:35 AM   #47

Thanks for the new version 1.40 of Pentax K1
I have found very useful and important updates especially for night photography.
On the other hand I was expecting one more important update to be included in this last version.
As you know when the camera is in operation during ''star stream mode'' the back color LCD monitor goes dark between ''standby intervals''.These intervals could be long; 10 minutes, 20 minutes or even much more.
But there is no disparity between whether the camera is in star stream mode operation interval or the job is completed and camera is in off position.
I would like see some kind of sign- a light / timer- on the LCD monitor informing the photographer that the camera stiil is in operation or the job is completed.

aierturk
11-18-2016, 08:18 AM   #48
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I should update mine from the original firmware.
11-18-2016, 11:46 AM   #49

I too have some issues with focus reliability, after having sent in the K-1 in for readjusting the PDAF sensor, and both the body and Sigma 35 in for calibration. Performing a microfocus adjustment test at near distances with the striped bar lines, it comes out to a +4 calibration. However, I need to be at roughly -10 to correctly hit infinity wide open, which knocks closer focus subjects out of accurate focusing. I've had similar outcomes with a 50mm D FA macro and Sigma 50 1.4,

It's great that Ricoh Pentax is rolling out new features, but this shouldn't be a firmware fix, it should simply have been a non-issue from the start, and it's a sharp pain point in having switched over from different systems.

11-18-2016, 02:16 PM - 1 Like   #50
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Reed Quote

Now my point is- would you like to give your camera, everything working just fine on almost all lenses to service center, wait for it for a month, and risk it will be returned working perfectly with that one “maybe messed up” lens, and all other shifted over the range. Or you would like to have this user available range extended like other camera brands have? I know you can return a new lens to get a better copy, but then you might get even worse and worse, and personally-I don't have time for this.

Call me old-fashioned in attitude, Reed, but if the lens is the problem it needs to be returned. It was not manufactured to spec.

We pay a lot for gear, we're entitled as consumers to return 'em until we get one that actually works.

I think it was Digitalis who sent a particular kind of Sigma back three times before he got a good one (might have been the 8-16 or 100-300). It's a fine lens, apparently, but he got dud copies first, that's our hobby.
11-18-2016, 02:58 PM   #51

Do you need to do previous updates before this one?
Thanks.
11-18-2016, 03:20 PM - 1 Like   #52
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by nsjohn130 Quote
Do you need to do previous updates before this one?
Thanks.
No. Every firmware update contains all the previous changes.

11-18-2016, 03:54 PM   #53

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
No. Every firmware update contains all the previous changes.
I figured, but wanted to be sure.

Thanks.
11-18-2016, 04:06 PM - 1 Like   #54
Veteran Member

What we need to see from Ricoh is auto calibration. Set the camera on a tripod and set up the target. Have mode that focuses with PDAF and raises the mirror to use CDAF and check AF accuracy and automatically make the adjustment. Nikon is finally implementing this. Ricoh needs to be a leader here and not a follower.
11-18-2016, 04:35 PM   #55
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi

Something is amiss with this night vision option. The moment I turn the camera off (or the cam turns itself off after a while) the night vision resets itself to the off position. To me this is no good. It should be a case where I decide when to revert back to the normal bright screen.

At night, by the time I fumble for the switch to turn night vision on again I am still looking at a bright screen long enough to blind my eyes or upset people in a dark theatre.

I have tried to find the constant "on" option, can't find it, am I missing it somewhere ?

Cheers
11-18-2016, 04:41 PM - 2 Likes   #56
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
Hi

Something is amiss with this night vision option. The moment I turn the camera off (or the cam turns itself off after a while) the night vision resets itself to the off position. To me this is no good. It should be a case where I decide when to revert back to the normal bright screen.

At night, by the time I fumble for the switch to turn night vision on again I am still looking at a bright screen long enough to blind my eyes or upset people in a dark theatre.

I have tried to find the constant "on" option, can't find it, am I missing it somewhere ?

Cheers
Nothing is amiss. It's under Camera 5->Memory, just like every other setting you can choose to have the K-1 either remember or forget for you after reset.
11-18-2016, 06:36 PM   #57
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
What we need to see from Ricoh is auto calibration. Set the camera on a tripod and set up the target. Have mode that focuses with PDAF and raises the mirror to use CDAF and check AF accuracy and automatically make the adjustment. Nikon is finally implementing this. Ricoh needs to be a leader here and not a follower.
Excellent idea, Winder, even though your example - Nikon - doesn't offer the user adjustment of any kind in their entry level models. You have to shell out the bucks versus what you already get on a K-50.

And while we're at it, why not be able to set and store different values for different focal lengths?

Camera manufacturers seem not to provide this, but Sigma does with their docking station for their higher end lenses.
11-18-2016, 08:00 PM   #58
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lithedreamer Quote
Nothing is amiss. It's under Camera 5->Memory, just like every other setting you can choose to have the K-1 either remember or forget for you after reset.
Thanks lithedreamer for coming to the rescue.

Ah, of course !
I am known to miss the obvious sometimes.
I did set all things I want to retain in memory when I first set up the cam but it has been a while since I needed to get in back again. As they say, out of sight, out of mind.

Thanks again

Cheers
11-18-2016, 09:05 PM   #59
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
Thanks lithedreamer for coming to the rescue.

Ah, of course !
I am known to miss the obvious sometimes.
I did set all things I want to retain in memory when I first set up the cam but it has been a while since I needed to get in back again. As they say, out of sight, out of mind.

Thanks again

Cheers
No worries. Cheers!
11-18-2016, 09:47 PM   #60
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by asamimasa Quote
I too have some issues with focus reliability, after having sent in the K-1 in for readjusting the PDAF sensor, and both the body and Sigma 35 in for calibration. Performing a microfocus adjustment test at near distances with the striped bar lines, it comes out to a +4 calibration. However, I need to be at roughly -10 to correctly hit infinity wide open, which knocks closer focus subjects out of accurate focusing. I've had similar outcomes with a 50mm D FA macro and Sigma 50 1.4,
A work-around solution for the 35ART is to calibrate it using the Sigma lens dock. It'll let you calibrate AF adjustments using the lens firmware (ie, not in-body) for focus adjustments at up to [I think] 10 individual distances, and I think it interpolates between points. That may be a tedius-yet-effective solution for the 35ART and your 50 if it's the ART variant as well.