Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 33 Likes Search this Thread
11-16-2016, 06:09 PM - 4 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

K-1 1.4 firmware released

Expanded function

1. Red-Lighted LCD Monitor Display Function
The PENTAX K-1 provides a red-lighted LCD monitor display function, which prevents the pupils of the photographer's eyes from constricting after they have become accustomed to a dark environment during astrophotography.

2. Bulb Timer Function
The bulb timer function comes in handy when photographing celestial bodies or fireworks. The PENTAX K-1 allows the photographer to expand the exposure time up to 20 minutes in Bulb mode.

3. Others
During slow shutter speeds the PENTAX K-1 features white dot noise reduction processsing.*
  Overall Improved stability for general performance.

* When Slow Shutter Speed NR is OFF and JPEG image.

Release of the function expand Firmware version 1.40 for PENTAX K-1?RICOH IMAGING

11-16-2016, 06:23 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I don't think I'll be making much use of any of the new features, but it's great to see them looking after us so well.
11-16-2016, 06:32 PM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Bulb timer is simply a fantastic feature.

First time its ever available on a DSLR if I'm not wrong.
I find myself taking a decent amount of ND/night shots that need more than one min.
Often 4-16mins in fact, and this helps lots.
11-16-2016, 06:55 PM   #4

Very excited, as I'll be hiking in the Sierras for 4 days over Thanksgiving. I'd just been thinking about the eye stress from the screen at night, and very glad they've addressed it.

11-16-2016, 06:57 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Great to see the techs working and adding new features to the K1, this camera simply dont stop getting better and better.

Great work Ricoh/Pentax
11-16-2016, 07:31 PM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 88lukas88 Quote
I don't understand why is not possible use the interval shooting with the bulb timer. so stupid.....facepalm
Instead of whining, maybe you could contribute something positive to the group, eh?
11-16-2016, 07:55 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
Bulb timer is simply a fantastic feature.

First time its ever available on a DSLR if I'm not wrong.
I find myself taking a decent amount of ND/night shots that need more than one min.
Often 4-16mins in fact, and this helps lots.
Bulb timer is great
It is available for Canons if you get the Magic Lantern add on but not from the factory

11-16-2016, 07:59 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't understand why is not possible use the interval shooting with the bulb timer. so stupid.....facepalm
it's my opinion so I can say everything I want....in this case is it stupid that this feature is not allowed in the interval shooting dot !
Stupid? Perhaps you might want to do a virtual walk through how this should have been implemented in a way that will provide a consistent interface and behavior for the regular shutter release as well as IR and wired remotes. When you have the details figured out, post them to a new thread in the K-1 section of this site. You may be interested in noting that the intervalometer feature on the Nikon D810 may not be used in Bulb either.

I can guarantee that even if you do an excellent job figuring it out, there will be plenty of forum members that will volunteer their opinion as to why it sucks.

FWIW, I do interval Bulb mode shooting on my K-3 (works the same as the K-1), but using either an IR or wired remote intervalometer rather than the in-camera feature.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 11-16-2016 at 08:11 PM.
11-16-2016, 08:16 PM - 3 Likes   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

it's my opinion so I can say everything I want....
You know what they say about opinions..............
11-16-2016, 08:52 PM   #10
Pentaxian

I love the K-5 interval-shot mode..clearly we aren't getting our thoughts out to each other as well as we want to.
11-16-2016, 08:58 PM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by OoKU Quote
2. Bulb Timer Function The bulb timer function comes in handy when photographing celestial bodies or fireworks. The PENTAX K-1 allows the photographer to expand the exposure time up to 20 minutes in Bulb mode.
Since I have digital cameras, I always wondered why we should have to buy an external intervalometer for exposures longer than 30 sec. I did not buy any intervalometer, and now the timer is included in the bulb mode, perfect. Thanks Pentax.
11-16-2016, 09:27 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Did the update, everything works great! I often like to shoot landscapes at longer than 30", so that's a significant improvement. This also relieves my envy of the K-70 users having a monopoly on the night vision mode. I'm very pleased that Ricoh is pushing out updates so frequently!
11-16-2016, 11:02 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

When I get a K-1 I will certainly use the longer exposures under bulb. I have always thought it crazy that you either have to use an external timer or keep track of the time yourself.
Would have preferred just extending the times in Manual mode but my limited understanding thats avoided because its way out range of what the metering can reliably show (which is still active in M) - so in that context the bulb is a good compromise if a little unusual.
11-17-2016, 12:07 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I love it,I have my military night light again
11-17-2016, 12:15 AM   #15
Veteran Member

As someone who occasionally go to dark site preserves where they frown against any white light, the dark red mode is a very welcome edition.