Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-30-2008, 06:26 AM   #1
Veteran Member

FF Pentax could be like Nikon D3

I was looking at the Nikon D3 features and realized that it can take a lens build for small sensor by simply recognizing it and auto size the sensor for it. If Pentax would build a FF sensor the same principle could apply. Let say a FF sensor of 16 megapixels could produce images in the 10 megapixels range with a DA lens. This would eliminate the need to purchase new lenses to avoid the vignetting. It looks like the D3 does it. If the high end bodies are heading in that direction may be Pentax should seriously think of implementing a FF sensor for the future K40D as a example.

Last edited by Denis; 07-30-2008 at 06:27 AM. Reason: spelling
07-30-2008, 06:44 AM   #2
Veteran Member

As we already discussed, FF Pentax will potentially come with a menu where users set their own crop factor for the lenses they own, much like setting individual AF adjustments in K20D. Sure better than enforcing 1.5x on all DAs.
07-30-2008, 07:32 AM   #3

Six topics lower:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/32974-full-frame-digital-da-lenses.html
07-30-2008, 10:20 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kguru Quote
As we already discussed, FF Pentax will potentially come with a menu where users set their own crop factor for the lenses they own, much like setting individual AF adjustments in K20D. Sure better than enforcing 1.5x on all DAs.
Sorry but missed that completely, sometimes to many emails are posted in one day for me to track. I read the last posted comments on this issue but still wonder if Pentax has any intentions to proceed with FF. Some DA lenses are in my opinion FF which would not be an issue. In the end, the last thing I want is have to adjust camera settings every time I switch lenses. The process has to be automated, like previously mentionned for focus adjustment available in the K20D.

An issue which puzzle me is the viewer. At present the viewer is set to display the image size taken by sensor, close to it anyway. Crop on a FF using a DA mode will not match the view. This will have to be accounted for. How does the D3 account for the changes.

07-30-2008, 04:35 PM   #5

The D3 accounts for the change by masking part of the viewfinder that the lens won't cover
07-31-2008, 07:06 AM   #6
Inactive Account

NO. Would be too expensive.
Pentax FF (or KxD) will be more like D700. Or at least somewhere between D300 and D700. I could bet on that!
08-01-2008, 09:43 AM   #7

Photos: Gallery
Differnece between aps-c and ff sensors 1.5x is in diagonal. Area differnece between aps-c and ff sensor is more than 2 times. That means, if ff sensor is 16Mpx, aps-c crop on this sensor will be something about 7 Mpx. Respectivly, the pixel density of K20D 14Mpix sensor is about the same as on 31.5 Mpix ff sensor.
Sensor area of K20D = 15.6mm x 23.4mm = 365.04 square mm
Sensor area of ff sensor = 24mm x 36mm = 864 square mm
Difference between sesnors = 864 : 365.04 = 2.367x
On Nikon D3 if you use aps-c lens, you will get something about 5.11 Mpix picture.

Last edited by Roberts; 08-01-2008 at 09:51 AM.
08-01-2008, 09:05 PM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by Denis Quote
I was looking at the Nikon D3 features and realized that it can take a lens build for small sensor by simply recognizing it and auto size the sensor for it. If Pentax would build a FF sensor the same principle could apply. Let say a FF sensor of 16 megapixels could produce images in the 10 megapixels range with a DA lens. This would eliminate the need to purchase new lenses to avoid the vignetting. It looks like the D3 does it. If the high end bodies are heading in that direction may be Pentax should seriously think of implementing a FF sensor for the future K40D as a example.
That would mean that the lenses built for small image circle has a chip that contains that information. The DA 200 and 300 lenses are supposed to cover the full frame image circle, but it may have a chip that says it is a DA lens, so the camera may automatically set it to crop mode. Personally I don't think a crop mode is necessary. People who buy a full frame can simply sell their DA lenses if they notice vignetting. If the DA200 or 300 they have do not vignette, then they can keep these lenses.

It is no secret that the world is turning to full frame, after years of APS-C sensors and talk of APS-C being the format of the future. Finally full frame sensors are becoming more affordable, thus removing the only reason we have cropped sensors to begin with.