Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-06-2016, 01:10 PM - 1 Like   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Ricoh Launches Cloud service

Ricoh Keenai photo management system launches with smart tagging: Digital Photography Review

Keenai | Photo app for cameras, iPhone, android and desktop

and Guess who they don't support:
https://help.keenai.com/hc/en-us/articles/229813967-WiFi-camera-support-overview

12-06-2016, 01:12 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Anybody still wonders where EyeFi cloud went?
12-06-2016, 01:18 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
When you have a K-1, K-s2, K-70 or K-3II you will not be able to use it even though the Camera has wifi. Need to buy a card. This is a big finger in the face of Pentax buyers.
12-06-2016, 01:20 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Ouch, that hurts.

12-06-2016, 01:23 PM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

Hummm... funny enough, look at their presentation picture :

---------- Post added 06-12-16 at 13:24 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
When you have a K-1, K-s2, K-70 or K-3II you will not be able to use it even though the Camera has wifi. Need to buy a card. This is a big finger in the face of Pentax buyers.
No that sure.
Maybe Pentax users could benefit from an even better service ?
12-06-2016, 01:26 PM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Yeah real funny the unsupported K-1. Also real funny for people who had to buy a flash for the K-3 II or K-1, because it was sacrificed for wi-fi and gps. Now they will have to buy a wi-fi card still.

---------- Post added 06-12-16 at 22:34 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
Maybe Pentax users could benefit from an even better service ?
Nope different part of Ricoh:
Keenai: Keenai - Android Apps on Google Play Ricoh Innovations corporation and not Ricoh Imaging Company ltd, which makes the image sync app.

12-06-2016, 01:38 PM   #7
Pentaxian

I cannot imagine such a marketing nonsense !
Something hasn't been issued YET.

12-06-2016, 01:40 PM   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yup, this has nothing to do with Ricoh Imaging by the looks of it.

But we can be pretty sure that the next DSLR model will include native integration, similar to the Eye-Fi integration that was offered a few years back.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-06-2016, 01:41 PM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

The lack of direct Pentax camera compatibility is, no doubt, a leftover from EyeFi's compatibility efforts. I bet Ricoh wanted to launch Keenai as soon as possible and did not have time to add functionality beyond what was there before Ricoh entered the picture.

I'm sure Ricoh will extend compatibility to Pentax but it might take a few months and maybe a camera firmware upgrade.
12-06-2016, 01:44 PM   #10
Pentaxian

I'm sadly laughing at the headline of the press release: "Ricoh Innovations Corp. Debuts Keenai, One-Stop Smart Photo Management for All the Latest Smartphones and Digital Cameras". I suppose the K-1 is no longer the latest. Did we miss the new FF body announcement?

Ricoh's a big company, and whoever had this project wasn't working with the camera division. Ricoh Innovations is a California-based division, not part of Ricoh Imaging USA, wherever their secret HQ is nowadays.
12-06-2016, 01:51 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
they don't even support their own cameras
go figure

randy
12-06-2016, 02:08 PM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
I'm sure Ricoh will extend compatibility to Pentax but it might take a few months and maybe a camera firmware upgrade.
I am confident too
Patience is our lot, isn't it
12-06-2016, 02:42 PM   #13
Veteran Member

If they ever get it to work with cameras like the K-1, it will be handy that they directly offer a Windows app:

QuoteQuote:
Keenai transfers, organizes and syncs all your photos across all your devices - beautifully displayed, all together and instantly accessible on your Windows phone, tablet, PC or smart TV.
Keenai ? Windows Apps on Microsoft Store

But it's funny that the opening shot on the Keenai site of the trees is an aerial shot from a drone. How will an image like that automatically find its way into Keenai?
12-06-2016, 03:32 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Yup, this has nothing to do with Ricoh Imaging by the looks of it.

But we can be pretty sure that the next DSLR model will include native integration, similar to the Eye-Fi integration that was offered a few years back.
As Adam said, Keenai is a product of Ricoh Innovations... not Ricoh Imaging.
12-06-2016, 04:02 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Great about all the Wifii stuff - Which I probably don't need
But I would like to know if it makes a sensible backup service that will expand with me.
I do need a cloud service and if it is truly unlimited space then its a better option than the 1Tb Dropbox at nearly twice the price.
Any idea about the upside and downside?