Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-02-2008, 05:57 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Any news on the new DA★ primes?

The earlier roadmap had the DA★ 55mm f/1.4 SDM as due this summer, although the latest (Mar. 18) says "marketing date to be announced later". And I'm still itching to hear more about the DA★ 30mm SDM.

It's been kind quiet around here lately — any rumors from Japan?

08-04-2008, 03:30 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
The earlier roadmap had the DA★ 55mm f/1.4 SDM as due this summer, although the latest (Mar. 18) says "marketing date to be announced later". And I'm still itching to hear more about the DA★ 30mm SDM.

The german site provides PDF document with "winter 2008/2009" dates for 60-250/4 and 55/1.4.
(See page 13)
08-04-2008, 04:04 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Zebooka Quote
The german site provides PDF document with "winter 2008/2009" dates for 60-250/4 and 55/1.4.
(See page 13)
I looked at pentax.de. Where is that pdf?
08-04-2008, 04:06 AM   #4

Photos: Gallery | Albums
link to that PDF ?

Thanks

Max.

08-04-2008, 10:10 AM   #5
Veteran Member

if they plan indeed a FF may be delay is to make those FF compatible ?
08-06-2008, 07:44 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Matjazz Quote
I looked at pentax.de. Where is that pdf?
Here it is It was here - Nicht verfügbar - PENTAX Europe GmbH

and back-up copy http://test.zebooka.com/Produktuebersicht_Juli_2008.pdf

Last edited by Zebooka; 08-06-2008 at 07:56 PM.
08-07-2008, 12:22 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Thanks Zebooka!

BTW, I just noticed a powerpack for the AF540FGZ. Didn't know that existed, would that allow continuous shooting?

Wim

08-07-2008, 01:04 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ishpuini Quote
BTW, I just noticed a powerpack for the AF540FGZ. Didn't know that existed, would that allow continuous shooting?
I believe it contributes to faster recycling times.

Now about the PDF, I can't download it from the backup link. Anybody care t upload it somewhere else?

Edit:
After pausing and resuming several times it eventually downloaded. If anybody else is having trouble downloading try here: Produktuebersicht_Juli_2008.pdf
Don't use download managers.

Last edited by Matjazz; 08-07-2008 at 01:43 AM.
08-07-2008, 06:08 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
There's a new one already:

http://media.pentax.de/downloads/photo/de/news/Produktuebersicht_August_2008.pdf

BTW they also have a preannouncement on the Photokina there but all it says in very cryptic wording is roughly to the end of "there is something new to be shown but still a long way into production":

Nachrichten - PENTAX Europe GmbH
08-07-2008, 06:51 PM   #10

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks for the link to the PDF!

According to the August version, the 55mm 1.4 will only be released late this year or next year. enough time to save some money.
08-07-2008, 11:56 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I think Pentax should seriously review and reconsider their lens roadmap.

Further investing deep into APS-C primes is not different from committing suicide, and they should re-design and rename all those DA longer primes or zooms so as to re-assure that those lenses are also full frame, so as to eliminate the hesitation of potential buyers who are interested in the lenses, but worried about the time longevity and full frame compatible of their investment.
08-08-2008, 12:08 AM   #12
Inactive Account

Totally agree with you (here) RiceHigh!!!
Otherwise, the next year, I (and many many others like me) will be Nikon D700 or Canon 7D users. Sorry to say that...
08-08-2008, 12:39 AM   #13
Veteran Member

I think that Samsung will lead the way in Kmounts w/ FF IMHO. I agree that they need to do FF, Not because I want it, because the market-"Me-Too" demands it. honestly I dont see a real need but Who am I to judge. Sure biger photo sights for lower noise, but I dont need that right now.
We shale see
08-08-2008, 04:39 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RiceHigh Quote
Further investing deep into APS-C primes is not different from committing suicide, and they should re-design and rename all those DA longer primes or zooms so as to re-assure that those lenses are also full frame, so as to eliminate the hesitation of potential buyers who are interested in the lenses, but worried about the time longevity and full frame compatible of their investment.
That would really annoy me. Full-Frame bodies aren't going to be under $1000 for a decade or so. This means that despite the yammering about full-frame from gadget photographers, there's really not a mainstream market and won't be for a long time — and by that time, it's very possible that technological improvements have made the image quality gap insignificant.

Despite the armchair quarterbacking, this means there's a good long life left in APS-C, and I'd hate to have the roadmap all smashed up just for an appeal to the small high end and the non-existent (but somehow, very vocal) "Pentax needs this to compete even though I won't buy it myself" market.

Pentax needs to get quality product out there now, is what they need to do, and they need to emphasize the quality of each camera within its niche.
08-08-2008, 05:25 AM   #15
RaduA

We people are trully lucky with Pentax bringing more and more new lenses optimised for digital every year. FF of APS-C may be a personal choice for every ones investment but I feel that exquisite, not very expensive lenses are more of a bonus for a system than camera bodies coupled with 20 years old optics. Look these days at photozone's revies with 3 older lenses that Sony resurected from the past and their more or less big shortcomings (e.g. 35mm f/1.4 G). By making new glass Pentax it's doing the right thing and by making APS-C new glass it's doing what is economically sound at the moment.
I anxiously await the new DA* primes which will signal what "state of the art optics" means for Pentax and for what cost.

Radu