Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-11-2008, 02:27 PM   #61

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Alan 2 Quote
I agree. The whole idea that it's suicidal for Pentax to continue making DA lenses made for 1.5x cameras is hogwash. FF digital cameras make up something like 2% of total DSLR sales. Reality tells me that with the limited resources Pentax has it would be a bad move to put large resources into FF. There is zero logic to it. If people want or need FF that badly there are 2 options out there. A much more sane move would be for Pentax to continue refining the 1.5x camera and lenses and then make a digital MF camera with an interchangeable back.

My next purchase will be a DA70 limited, and I await the DA15 limited. No hesitation with that. The sky isn't falling as much as some people would like you to think it is.
I agree, waiting for things to become better is not a solution...there will always be something new coming around the corner. But right now I am also waiting for the DA15, anyone has heard anything on when it will be launched. I m thinking of getting the FA 14, but that is huge...

08-11-2008, 03:39 PM   #62
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by quarc Quote
I agree, waiting for things to become better is not a solution...there will always be something new coming around the corner. But right now I am also waiting for the DA15, anyone has heard anything on when it will be launched. I m thinking of getting the FA 14, but that is huge...
What's wrong with the DA 14mm?
08-11-2008, 05:08 PM   #63
Veteran Member

Hummm guys, why do we even entertain Ricehigh?

Other than that I am eagerly awaiting the 60-250 F4, it would fit my uses perfectly when paired up with a 16-50 or similar. Now if someone can point me to a good known working 16-50 I will be very happy :XD
08-11-2008, 06:01 PM   #64
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Torphoto Quote
Hummm guys, why do we even entertain Ricehigh?

Other than that I am eagerly awaiting the 60-250 F4, it would fit my uses perfectly when paired up with a 16-50 or similar. Now if someone can point me to a good known working 16-50 I will be very happy :XD
I figure he is a Canon guy anyway.

08-11-2008, 11:06 PM   #65
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
I don't need the speed and it's just to big for me. I'm hoping it's in the f4 range and a good deal smaller then the 14/2.8.

Last edited by Alan 2; 08-11-2008 at 11:22 PM.
08-12-2008, 12:54 AM   #66

Don't forget that Pentax doesn't have to come up with a complete new series, just get the old lenses(wich have proven theirself to be good), ad some fancy new elements(because you can now) and let the production begin.
08-12-2008, 12:38 PM   #67

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Nothing wrong with it, just a bit big. OK my 24/2.0 is also big, but would like something like 28/2.8, a 15/2.8 would be nice, assuming size is small, I would even go for 15/4. But I am tempted, and will most likely buy the 14, not good at waiting :-)

08-12-2008, 12:46 PM   #68
Veteran Member

I am waiting for the DA 15 because I want a Limited build lens that's smaller, has better distortion characteristics and is no more than one stop slower than the DA 14. I figure that's why Pentax is building it. It'll be very interesting to compare it to the DA 16-45.
08-13-2008, 08:06 AM   #69
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by deejjjaaaa Quote
if they plan indeed a FF may be delay is to make those FF compatible ?
Nah, more likely the delay comes from re-designing the lenses from SDM double autofocus system to single SDM autofocus. The original plan was to make them SDM double autofocus, but when they announced the 17-70 SDM they also announced that they would no longer release lenses with double AF systems. Seems to me that double AF system was too expensive and too complicated, and there has also been some issues with the autofocus on the 4 current DA Star lenses to suddenly stop working. This may show that the double AF system is not as reliable from a mechanical view, as a single AF system is.
08-14-2008, 09:37 AM   #70
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RMabo Quote
Nah, more likely the delay comes from re-designing the lenses from SDM double autofocus system to single SDM autofocus. The original plan was to make them SDM double autofocus, but when they announced the 17-70 SDM they also announced that they would no longer release lenses with double AF systems. Seems to me that double AF system was too expensive and too complicated, and there has also been some issues with the autofocus on the 4 current DA Star lenses to suddenly stop working. This may show that the double AF system is not as reliable from a mechanical view, as a single AF system is.
And as the older bodies which don't support SDM continue to get older, catering to them is increasingly counterproductive -- I mean, why spend extra money and work and raise the cost for everyone else just to encourage users of old camera bodies that they *shouldn't* upgrade?
08-14-2008, 10:11 AM   #71
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
And as the older bodies which don't support SDM continue to get older, catering to them is increasingly counterproductive -- I mean, why spend extra money and work and raise the cost for everyone else just to encourage users of old camera bodies that they *shouldn't* upgrade?
first, the k20d would fall into that category in a few months. Secondly, Pentax no longer makes a 35mm film camera to my knowledge. "older' gets to be a relative term. Of course I have newer lenses for my digital setup and a lot of old glass that is for my Pentax herd. It is a plus for them to be interchangeable. Otherwise I may as well be shooting with a Rebel XTi and just using pentax for film.

I think the real solution is to have a line of quality "legacy" lenses and some that are just for the all out high tech state of the art bodies that will be obsolete in 9 1/2 months. That way the "Legacy" stays legacy and the obsolete stuff goes in the recycle bin with the plastic and glass.

Edit: There are people in the world who think looking through a view finder is on borrowed time. If you think I am joking, look at some of the point & shoots like Sigma has released with a 35mm sized 14mm sensor, and now they are working on interchangeable lenses for it!
08-14-2008, 10:47 AM   #72
Veteran Member

What's everyone's guesstimate on price for the DA*30mm? I'd love to have that lens to pair up with my K10D for low light and for the SDM, but I'm afraid they are going to charge $500+ for it like they are for the DA35 Limited & the DA 17-70mm. I'm guessing I'll have to end up "settling" DA40 Limited now that it is only $260.

The price of the DA 17-70mm still bugs me. Especially now that I see Nikon is releasing the D90 with an 18-105mm with SR and SDM for $1300. I know the 17-70mm will probably be higher quality than the Nikon 18-105mm, but man; the D90 body will retail for $1100, that means they are throwing in that 18-105mm for $200. That's less than half the price of the 17-70mm.
08-14-2008, 03:56 PM   #73
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Art Vandelay II Quote
What's everyone's guesstimate on price for the DA*30mm? I'd love to have that lens to pair up with my K10D for low light and for the SDM, but I'm afraid they are going to charge $500+ for it like they are for the DA35 Limited & the DA 17-70mm. I'm guessing I'll have to end up "settling" DA40 Limited now that it is only $260.
I hope that it is high enough quality to justify a $500 price tag. If it is, I'll sell you my (much-loved) DA40mm Limited for a good price.
08-14-2008, 07:42 PM   #74

RiceHigh said >

"Also, to make a tele lens to be APS-C only has no real and significant advantage at all. ..."

Are you saying that a 600mm FF tele is the same size, weight, and cost as a 400mm APS-C tele of the same speed? I would say being able to produce the same photo using a lens and camera having less size, weight, and cost has some advantage. Would you agree with this Mr. RiceHigh?
08-15-2008, 03:52 AM   #75
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Photomy Quote
RiceHigh said > "Also, to make a tele lens to be APS-C only has no real and significant advantage at all. ..." [...] Are you saying that a 600mm FF tele is the same size, weight, and cost as a 400mm APS-C tele of the same speed?
Even if we don't always agree to RH, he is right here. A 600mm f/5.6 and a 400mm f/4.0 lens are the same size, weight, and cost and capture the same amount of light (100mm aperture size).

People are often confused and compare lenses between systems at the same f-stop rating. This is physically incorrect as you have to compare at the same physical aperture in mm (same physical aperture in mm = same noise and depth of field).

And anyway, RH said something different. Namely, that there is no advantage to make a tele lenses's image circle artificially small. This statement is physically correct for any focal length >> image circle diameter.

Last edited by falconeye; 08-15-2008 at 03:58 AM.