Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
the more primitive Spotmatic
Watch your mouth.

01-08-2017, 02:12 PM   #32
Pentaxian

Consider the MZ-S. Its basic capabilities are similar to the K-1
That's completely untrue, the MZ-S is not even close to the K-1.
01-08-2017, 02:16 PM - 2 Likes   #33
Pentaxian

(...)

My apologies to the original artist. I don't remember where I got this, but I really, really like it.

Steve
This is the Asahi Pentax Spotmatic D Concept imagined by Lieke Esveldt.

01-08-2017, 02:54 PM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Consider the MZ-S. Its basic capabilities are similar to the K-1, but it weighs half as much and is about the same size as a K-70.
What does even mean? The MZ-S doesn't even have dual e-wheels. At least compare the K-1 to the PZ-1p (with the accompanying increase in weight).

01-08-2017, 02:54 PM   #35
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
That's completely untrue, the MZ-S is not even close to the K-1.
You're right

Its original price as Pentax flagship SLR in 2001 was only $1430 USD. Not even close

Steve

(The MZ-S falls short of the K-1 in FPS (2.5 vs 4.4), max shutter speed (1/6000s vs 1/8000s), x-sync (1/180s vs. 1/200s) and AF sensitivity and number of AF points, but was competitive in the day for its feature set, much of which it shares with the K-1. It bests the K-1 in build (magnesium skin over titanium frame), flash metering options, power zoom support, interchangeable screens, built-in flash, and use of the non-crippled KAF2 mount. Some would also argue a preference for the modal controls.)
01-08-2017, 03:01 PM   #36
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lithedreamer Quote
What does even mean? The MZ-S doesn't even have dual e-wheels. At least compare the K-1 to the PZ-1p (with the accompanying increase in weight).
I chose the MZ-S because it was the last Pentax flagship model and was arguably the most advanced 35mm film SLR offered by Pentax during its history.

Steve
01-08-2017, 03:05 PM   #37
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
This is the Asahi Pentax Spotmatic D Concept imagined by Lieke Esveldt.
Thanks...I will edit my post.

Steve

01-08-2017, 03:07 PM   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I chose the MZ-S because it was the last Pentax flagship model and was arguably the most advanced 35mm film SLR offered by Pentax during its history.

Steve
Okay, that makes sense if you're suggesting that this flagship shouldn't have things like a second e-dial.
01-08-2017, 03:13 PM   #39
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lithedreamer Quote
Okay, that makes sense if you're suggesting that this flagship shouldn't have things like a second e-dial.
Some prefer the modal controls on the MZ-S. I.e. second e-dial is superfluous.

Edit: There is also the issue of the PZ-1P lacking DOF preview.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 01-08-2017 at 03:20 PM.
01-08-2017, 03:16 PM   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Some prefer the modal controls on the MZ-S.

Steve
Okay. But there hasn't been a one e-dial Pentax DSLR since the K-S1, which wasn't a flagship.
01-08-2017, 03:25 PM   #41
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I like the idea stevebrot, but you shouldn't cripple away Wifi. As of 2017 that is a basic function to expected from all new cameras. Its not expensive ether, both in terms of production costs, and in terms of marketing value since its a basic function.
01-08-2017, 03:27 PM   #42
Imp
Pentaxian

The illustration is based on the Spotmatic. The mirror box is the same depth as on the K-1. Strangely enough the actual pentaprisms (the glass part) are very similar in size as well. For an indication of additional thickness should IBIS be added, look at the Sony A7II vs the A7.
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Why unfortunately? That half-done Photoshop job cannot work IRL, or were you hoping that it magically could?
@Kunzite, yes, I was hoping magically that it could I know it can't possibly work IRL
@stevebrot I know - I thought you were hoping pentax could make a dslr like that, which wouldn't be possible. My bad! Even a mirrorles pk mount would have to be bigger
01-08-2017, 03:33 PM   #43
Pentaxian

I think if we actually built the Spotmatic D, IBIS would be one of the necessary sacrifices. So too, arguably, could the rear screen, or indeed any sort of screen. It isn't really needed; we have the existing knobs we can use to set parameters. If we're going to dream, dream simple. We want a digital platform on which to mount M42 lenses. The only areas of sophistication might be to base it on the Spotmatic F, so we had open-aperture metering for SMC Takumar lenses, and to make the focusing screens interchangeable after the fashion of the MX or LX. A flap in the bottom plate could be opened to put a micro SD card in, or perhaps an output jack could go where the FP contact is now (through which metering-mode parameters could be set through physical tether to a smartphone, tablet or laptop - the options being centre spot, centre weighted, or whole-field, just like the good old days).

Yes, I know we probably won't ever have it. But we can dream.
01-08-2017, 03:40 PM   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
And here I thought I was silly hoping for an F 28mm f2.8 HD; take the old F 28, give it the latest in coatings, DC focus, WR but keep the straight aperture blades and I don't care what you make it out of. But this thread has gone to places I wouldn't have expected. I need to dream bigger.
01-08-2017, 03:44 PM - 1 Like   #45
Imp
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
But this thread has gone to places I wouldn't have expected. I need to dream bigger.
That's what being a pentaxian is