Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-09-2017, 04:05 PM - 3 Likes   #76
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Maybe Pentax should make a camera optimized for viewing image files at 100% in Photoshop

I am reminded that the President of Pentax under Hoya (was that the son of the Hoya CEO?) wanted Pentax to design lenses specifically optimized to win DXO tests.

01-09-2017, 04:13 PM   #77
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
...design lenses specifically optimized to win DXO tests.
Isn't that what Sigma and Fuji do?
01-09-2017, 04:13 PM   #78
Pentaxian

A one pixel camera would be perfect for those folks. But, it doesn't have to be Pentax
01-09-2017, 04:17 PM   #79
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I am reminded that the President of Pentax under Hoya (was that the son of the Hoya CEO?) wanted Pentax to design lenses specifically optimized to win DXO tests.
Which lenses actually came to market with that in mind? I assume the 35 Ltd. Macro? What else?

01-09-2017, 04:20 PM   #80
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
Which lenses actually came to market with that in mind? I assume the 35 Ltd. Macro? What else?
None. A legendary lens designer was offered involuntary early retirement. He now works for a third-party maker.
01-09-2017, 04:23 PM   #81
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
I imagine there would be interest in a "de-tuned" K-1: 24MP, single card slot, no articulating LCD, no lamps, no GPS/wifi... just a lean mean picture-making machine. Lower pixel density might allow older glass to shine. Whether or not there's enough interest in such a camera for, say, $1400 to make it a profitable endeavor for Pentax is another story.
I just think you release such a camera and you end up stealing sales from the K3-III and K-1 and not generating any new business. Why would someone buy such a camera over a 6D or D610? Particularly considering the current cost and stable of Pentax glass available. From Pentax's standpoint, stealing sales from the K-1 only makes that camera less viable.
01-09-2017, 04:25 PM   #82
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

None. A legendary lens designer was offered involuntary early retirement. He now works for a third-party maker.
So that's why all that happened. Ah, ok. Ugh.

01-09-2017, 05:14 PM   #83
mee
Veteran Member

haha what an offer. That is similar to offering either you can walk the plank or we can let you off of the pirate ship on this remote, deserted island.
01-09-2017, 06:04 PM   #84
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
haha what an offer. That is similar to offering either you can walk the plank or we can let you off of the pirate ship on this remote, deserted island.
Well, I'm not saying I know the two are causally related. I wasn't there. But there were stories about the corporate directive, the reluctance to design lenses to win tests - and then there was the dismissal retirement . . . . .
01-09-2017, 07:08 PM   #85
mee
Veteran Member

Well, I'm not saying I know the two are causally related. I wasn't there. But there were stories about the corporate directive, the reluctance to design lenses to win tests - and then there was the dismissal retirement . . . . .
Right! But it does make me wonder exactly what lenses we'd have seen had they stayed and followed the directive.
01-09-2017, 08:43 PM - 1 Like   #86
JPT
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I just think you release such a camera and you end up stealing sales from the K3-III and K-1 and not generating any new business. Why would someone buy such a camera over a 6D or D610? Particularly considering the current cost and stable of Pentax glass available. From Pentax's standpoint, stealing sales from the K-1 only makes that camera less viable.
Some people would buy the proposed camera over the 6D and D610 for the same reasons that people are buying the K-1 - they think it's a better camera. Honestly, the thinking behind your post is pretty pessimistic. Your talking like there is a fixed pie of Pentax users that are being cut up between models, which basically means there's no long term future for the brand.

Personally, I do think they have a good chance of grabbing new brand agnostic users as long as they have the right line up. There also seem to be some lapsed Pentaxians returning, and some disgruntled users of other brands being tempted across. Unfortunately, in Japan they have a huge gap between the 90,000 yen K-3ii and the 245,000 yen K-1. That's quite a formidable difference, and it could even put off APS-C Pentax users from staying in the system. When you factor in the most basic lens, the cost of entry into K-mount FF is 300,000 - far more than Canon, Nikon or Sony. I'm not saying the K-1 is bad value, even at the Japanese price, but it's a hell of a lot of camera that many people don't need.

I don't think that would release a cheaper camera to soon, but once the sales of the K-1 start to slow down, it would seem like a good time to introduce a cheaper model.

Last edited by JPT; 01-09-2017 at 08:51 PM.
01-09-2017, 09:18 PM - 1 Like   #87
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The problem with the lower-priced models is the profit margin is much smaller, so you need higher volume to justify the product. There's a highly complex relationship between features, price, manufacturing and distribution capacity and marketing expenses. Pentax could actually be less efficient selling more (but not enough) FF cameras at a lower price than fewer FF cameras at a higher price.

I sincerely believe if/when Pentax thinks the time is right to broaden the FF camera line they'll do it - but there are so many major products we want:

Flagship APSc dSLR
MILC - anything, but preferably APSC and FF
100MP FF 645 dSLR and/or MILC
Lower-priced / lower spec FF
Competitive AF and video
Q replacement
Lenses for all 4 Formats (proprietary - no more Tamron rebadged)
Many more Tamron (Sigma) K-mount lenses
Accessories
Customer Service
Retail Distribution

Essentially we want Canon with Sony sensors, Sony manufacturing processes and Fuji lens development speed at value prices. It isn't going to happen.

2017 we get APSc flagship, a couple FF proprietary lenses, a surprise and Theta.

Last edited by monochrome; 01-09-2017 at 09:28 PM.
01-09-2017, 09:26 PM   #88
mee
Veteran Member

Right.. the modern lens lineup for FF hasn't even been fully fleshed out and some people are asking for another digital FF body in the lineup. Let's start with lenses first.. In the couple of years that is going to take, they might be ready to look at an update to the K-1. At which point it will lower in price to make room for the newer body. I think that is the only way we see another FF digital body from Pentax.

The bonus is the technology will only improve so, by waiting, you'll receive a better product... if that is any consolation to you. haha
01-09-2017, 11:09 PM   #89
Pentaxian

I remember that too pretty well.
No wonder the said 'legend' is working for Tamron now.
01-09-2017, 11:45 PM   #90
Pentaxian

And then out of the blue Tamron comes with new line of SP35/45/85 1.8 primes that are almost zeiss quality in optics. But I don't think it was Mr. Hirakawa work, but you can still sense his "design ethics" in thst lenses