Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-10-2017, 07:32 AM   #241
Pentaxian
photoptimist's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2016
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,979
QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
Since I started this whole thread off all those months ago, I feel I should give an update. But I don't think it's going to add much clarity.
- The K-3ii disappeared from Yodobashi and has not come back in stock. Their stores are currently selling the K-70, KP and K-1 only in K-mount. Their close rival Bic Camera is the same. I heard from shop staff at both shops that the KP has been doing very well.
- In some other noted specialist camera shops they have had the K-3ii listed as discontinued for a while but still have stock. The funny thing is that this is not for all kits. The body kit and the 18-135 kit are listed as discontinued, while the 16-85 is still current.
- Overall the number of online shops that are still selling the-3ii has fallen to just under half the number that will typically stock a current Pentax camera.

So Japanese retail is giving some mixed signals as far as I can see. In normal circumstances I would expect a successor at any moment, but some retailers seem to be positioning the KP as a successor, and others seem to indicate that the k-3ii might remain for a bit longer in its 16-85 kit form.
Thanks for the update!

The signals don't seem that mixed. They are consistent with the manufacturer discontinuing production and the distributors and retailers clearing the remaining stock. The pattern of kit availability probably reflects the relative popularity & inventory levels of those lenses. And there may be some shops that have no K-3ii's in stock but have not bothered to update the status or might be willing to try to find a unit somewhere if a customer makes a special request.

07-10-2017, 07:47 AM   #242
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
GlassJunkie's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: St Petersburg
Photos: Albums
Posts: 382
QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
Thanks for the update!

The signals don't seem that mixed. They are consistent with the manufacturer discontinuing production and the distributors and retailers clearing the remaining stock. The pattern of kit availability probably reflects the relative popularity & inventory levels of those lenses. And there may be some shops that have no K-3ii's in stock but have not bothered to update the status or might be willing to try to find a unit somewhere if a customer makes a special request.
Absolutely....

I stick with my old post....

QuoteOriginally posted by GlassJunkie Quote
Pentax, Ricoh, or whichever permutation of our supplier...

I am betting on a August/September tease, a November/December order, or Based on the "fiscal year" blurb, a Feb launch. Pentax has these things in their DNA. I agree with your point.
07-10-2017, 09:43 AM   #243
Pentaxian
The Squirrel Mafia's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 1,015
^ I hope it's true. My guess is that the reviews will start coming in sometime in May 2018 or so if everything lines up. I'll know if I'll fully commit to the Pentax brand & keep buying more Pentax glass by then.
07-11-2017, 05:42 AM   #244
New Member




Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: FBG, TX
Posts: 5
Concerned

New member here and apologies in advance if I'm posting in the wrong place. After many decades being too busy to seriously pursue my photo / art passions, finally have the time and desire to dive back in head first. I've spent the last month or so reading tons to catch up on the current state of equipment before opening up the checkbook big time, (well big time for me anyway). Top of my camera 'got to have' list is the K-1, deciding to shun the CanoNikon path, scared to death of terrible Sony service reports and as much as I like Olympus and the m43 equipment, the megapixels just aren't there for me yet. The K-1 wins the spec /price battle for me, but before I dive in, the release timelines indicate to me that a K-1 level II should be in the works before too long (<6 mo's?). Or maybe I'm laughably delusional on the current state of affairs at Ricoh/Pentax?

The status of the K-3 II being slowly moved to the 'has been' pile, with no official info forthcoming on the replacement for over 6 months now, has me pretty concerned that maybe Ricoh is backing away from the serious DSLR market in general, throwing all my equipment research back into a tizzy. Are there any book makers offering odds on Ricoh/Pentax survival / commitment over the next 4 - 5 years at least? What do ya'll think?

07-11-2017, 06:18 AM - 2 Likes   #245
Pentaxian




Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Romania
Posts: 10,249
Let's ask Ricoh Imaging:
"The K-1 will be sold for a longer period (than other models)."
CP+ 2017 Pentax Interview: Part 1 - CP+ 2017 | PentaxForums.com

Get the K-1, if this is precisely what you want - and won't immediately start asking for updates. It doesn't offer much in terms of speed, but otherwise it's a very capable camera. I'd call it a landscape photographer's dream, though of course it's not only good for landscapes.

Be aware, many of those discussing the survivability of a brand or another don't care much about the truth; often, they have more mundane reasons like gathering clicks and "fame", promoting other brands, etc.
07-11-2017, 07:18 AM - 1 Like   #246
New Member




Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: FBG, TX
Posts: 5
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Let's ask Ricoh Imaging:
"The K-1 will be sold for a longer period (than other models)."
CP+ 2017 Pentax Interview: Part 1 - CP+ 2017 | PentaxForums.com

Get the K-1, if this is precisely what you want - and won't immediately start asking for updates. It doesn't offer much in terms of speed, but otherwise it's a very capable camera. I'd call it a landscape photographer's dream, though of course it's not only good for landscapes.

Be aware, many of those discussing the survivability of a brand or another don't care much about the truth; often, they have more mundane reasons like gathering clicks and "fame", promoting other brands, etc.
Yes, I agree the K-1 is perfect for me right now. Landscapes, macro's and large pano's are my priority. Speed / sports not on my list.Just concerned with Ricoh's support commitment over the next years. Very valid that many nay sayers with other agendas are everywhere. Just wish Ricoh would make some kind of reassuring product announcements before too long. Tks
07-11-2017, 07:56 AM - 3 Likes   #247
Pentaxian




Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Romania
Posts: 10,249
Nobody can give you any firm guarantee, Ricoh included. Nor can the other camera companies.
OTOH there are no signs of Ricoh closing down Ricoh Imaging; first, Ricoh denied such claims (instead of keeping quiet), and second, they still allocated some 3.2 billion yen to "Increase production of digital cameras and other new business relating investment, etc" (source: latest Securities Report).

Unfortunately, making quality products can't really be hastened; the earliest I expect "reassuring product announcements" is CP+, February next year. The next indication that Ricoh Imaging (Pentax) is here to stay will be the new D FA* primes - first of which, the D FA* 50mm f/1.4, is expected by the end of this fiscal year.
Of course, even the K-1 couldn't stop the never-ending PentaxIsDoomed.
07-11-2017, 08:51 AM   #248
New Member




Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: FBG, TX
Posts: 5
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Nobody can give you any firm guarantee, Ricoh included. Nor can the other camera companies.
OTOH there are no signs of Ricoh closing down Ricoh Imaging; first, Ricoh denied such claims (instead of keeping quiet), and second, they still allocated some 3.2 billion yen to "Increase production of digital cameras and other new business relating investment, etc" (source: latest Securities Report).

Unfortunately, making quality products can't really be hastened; the earliest I expect "reassuring product announcements" is CP+, February next year. The next indication that Ricoh Imaging (Pentax) is here to stay will be the new D FA* primes - first of which, the D FA* 50mm f/1.4, is expected by the end of this fiscal year.
Of course, even the K-1 couldn't stop the never-ending PentaxIsDoomed.
Thanks much for those milestones and the securities report statement comment does offer some reassurance. Deep pockets and the tendency towards customer support is a good thing!

07-11-2017, 10:08 AM - 1 Like   #249
Pentaxian




Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Romania
Posts: 10,249
You're welcome.
Ricoh doesn't have "deep pockets", though... they are investing in Ricoh Imaging (expecting a return), but can't afford to throw away money.
I expect good things to happen, but not a flood of products in a "let's see what sticks and what not" tactic
07-11-2017, 01:32 PM   #250
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Gladys, Virginia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 17,351
QuoteOriginally posted by HillCountryRick Quote
New member here and apologies in advance if I'm posting in the wrong place. After many decades being too busy to seriously pursue my photo / art passions, finally have the time and desire to dive back in head first. I've spent the last month or so reading tons to catch up on the current state of equipment before opening up the checkbook big time, (well big time for me anyway). Top of my camera 'got to have' list is the K-1, deciding to shun the CanoNikon path, scared to death of terrible Sony service reports and as much as I like Olympus and the m43 equipment, the megapixels just aren't there for me yet. The K-1 wins the spec /price battle for me, but before I dive in, the release timelines indicate to me that a K-1 level II should be in the works before too long (<6 mo's?). Or maybe I'm laughably delusional on the current state of affairs at Ricoh/Pentax?

The status of the K-3 II being slowly moved to the 'has been' pile, with no official info forthcoming on the replacement for over 6 months now, has me pretty concerned that maybe Ricoh is backing away from the serious DSLR market in general, throwing all my equipment research back into a tizzy. Are there any book makers offering odds on Ricoh/Pentax survival / commitment over the next 4 - 5 years at least? What do ya'll think?
I wouldn't worry too much. Pentax has been gradually releasing new equipment and has some nice lenses coming out the end of this year and next year. They aren't as fast at releasing stuff as some of the other bigger companies are, but they feel pretty committed to the k mount.

The company that feels uncertain at this point is Nikon, who is at least playing around with the idea of going with a new mirrorless mount.

---------- Post added 07-11-17 at 04:35 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
Thanks for the update!

The signals don't seem that mixed. They are consistent with the manufacturer discontinuing production and the distributors and retailers clearing the remaining stock. The pattern of kit availability probably reflects the relative popularity & inventory levels of those lenses. And there may be some shops that have no K-3ii's in stock but have not bothered to update the status or might be willing to try to find a unit somewhere if a customer makes a special request.
Sure. The goal for any company is to have old stock gone by the time the new product is released. Traditionally, camera companies haven't done too well at that, but if you make a press release saying "awesome new camera coming in 6 weeks!" then a lot of folks will hold of buying the current generation product till they see what that looks like.
07-11-2017, 02:28 PM   #251
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
twilhelm's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Florida
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,127
I remember buying my K10 D, back when Pentax was "doomed". And that camera ended up being a break through with awards. Soon after came new lenses.

Then I bought a K5, back when Pentax was "doomed". I believe that camera was very well received also.

Buying camera gear these days takes a financial commitment. But given that both of the cameras I mentioned above, and all the lenses I have purchased, are still producing amazing and useable images, if Pentax did close it's doors I'm convinced I've got enough gear to last my lifetime and keep me happy.

But there will by a K1 in my near future also.
07-11-2017, 04:37 PM - 1 Like   #252
Senior Member
elf photo's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Photos: Albums
Posts: 119
dam it every time I scratch enough money to buy a new camera Pentax stops making it, first was a Kx now a K3 II. I paid over 1,000 for each of these cameras and thought I was buying top of the line. Both cameras are good but I thought they would be around for a while, not discontinue them. If you try to trade them in for new purchase their not worth anything.Just had to blow off a little steam, in all fairness I do enjoy my Pentax cameras.
07-11-2017, 05:51 PM   #253
New Member




Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: FBG, TX
Posts: 5
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I wouldn't worry too much. Pentax has been gradually releasing new equipment and has some nice lenses coming out the end of this year and next year. They aren't as fast at releasing stuff as some of the other bigger companies are, but they feel pretty committed to the k mount.

The company that feels uncertain at this point is Nikon, who is at least playing around with the idea of going with a new mirrorless mount.

---------- Post added 07-11-17 at 04:35 PM ----------



Sure. The goal for any company is to have old stock gone by the time the new product is released. Traditionally, camera companies haven't done too well at that, but if you make a press release saying "awesome new camera coming in 6 weeks!" then a lot of folks will hold of buying the current generation product till they see what that looks like.
Thanks for the reassurance once again. As far into the future as I can see, the K1 will do everything I need it to. Only real concern is available service a couple years down the road. Big Asian corp politics are sometimes hard to judge. Of course that includes virtually all of the sub-pro DSLR mfg at this point. Time to take a deep breathe and belly up to the bar I guess. Overall, it's not so much the initial DSLR cost, but the inevitable lens investments that will take a noticeable chunk from the retirement account.
07-11-2017, 07:48 PM   #254
Pentaxian




Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: South Bend, IN, USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,287
QuoteOriginally posted by elf photo Quote
dam it every time I scratch enough money to buy a new camera Pentax stops making it, first was a Kx now a K3 II. I paid over 1,000 for each of these cameras and thought I was buying top of the line. Both cameras are good but I thought they would be around for a while, not discontinue them. If you try to trade them in for new purchase their not worth anything.Just had to blow off a little steam, in all fairness I do enjoy my Pentax cameras.
In 1984 I purchased a Pentax Super Program - I don't remember when Asahi stopped manufacturing that model, but that camera is "still around" - in fact, I use every so often. Your K-3ii is still top of the APS-C line, and it should give you good service for many years. The only way to have top- of-the-line for many months is to pay the early-adopter fee and purchase the first one to arrive in your store- and that is just plain dumb.
07-11-2017, 08:26 PM - 1 Like   #255
Pentaxian




Join Date: Feb 2015
Photos: Albums
Posts: 4,132
QuoteOriginally posted by HillCountryRick Quote
Just concerned with Ricoh's support commitment over the next years. Very valid that many nay sayers with other agendas are everywhere. Just wish Ricoh would make some kind of reassuring product announcements before too long. Tks
QuoteOriginally posted by HillCountryRick Quote
Overall, it's not so much the initial DSLR cost, but the inevitable lens investments that will take a noticeable chunk
That's also my thinking. Although it is always possible to resell Pentax equipment at a price even if Pentax is gone. Dealers have an interest in selling new gear to make up their revenue but they can't discount the new products because they have to comply with the minimum price given by the brand for their region. In order to trigger sales of new camera products, they take back some second hand equipment, some of it never sold and scrapped. My dealer want to keep me as a customer, so he is taking my returns as sunk costs because he doesn't care what brand I buy as long as I buy to him instead of buying to his competitors or amazon.com. If Pentax was gone, my dealer would take back Pentax gear at a good price to make me buy another brand as long as he can still make a profit.
Closed Thread

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
bacon, cameras, cheddar, crybabies, divebar, english, equipment, gr gr gr, info, k-1, k-3, k-3ii, k-mount, lenses, lutefisk, managers, meetings, pentax news, pentax rumors, people, price, sake, sashimi, successor, sushi, system, tech, time, usage, whiners, yodobashi
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SMC Pentax-A 1:1.4 50mm lens marked "DEMO" -- Rare??? tom1803 Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 18 10-29-2016 06:03 PM
Ricoh GR marked as Discontinued in Adorama Vemobydam Pentax News and Rumors 15 06-02-2015 02:30 AM
K-30 Marked as "discontinued" at B&H Adam Pentax K-30 & K-50 7 09-06-2013 07:09 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:55 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top