Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-11-2017, 09:12 PM - 1 Like   #256
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by frogfoot Quote
A guy from russian Pentax distributor told me that K-3II is still in production and will be till the end of the year. What will be next, they have no idea.
Are you going to tweet the full email chain for transparency?

07-11-2017, 10:35 PM   #257

Photos: Albums
Thanks for the feedback guys. What is the difference fixed focal length lenses like a 50 and variable focal length like 18 to 150. yes lenses do eat up the money.
07-11-2017, 10:36 PM   #258
mee
Veteran Member

K-3 III could pop up tomorrow.. or a month from now.. or two months from now. sure absolutely.

But also is there the possibility that the KP was in fact intended as the K-3 II successor and the other references, that stated otherwise, were simply Pentax reps being polite about there not being a more similar K-3 III successor from the K-3 II ?
07-11-2017, 10:55 PM   #259
Pentaxian

"Compactness and quickness are advantages of the APS-C format compared to full-frame. We feel that there is a need for an APS-C flagship model with these advantages.
A successor to the K-3 II is being researched."
CP+ 2017 Pentax Interview: Part 1 - CP+ 2017 | PentaxForums.com

07-11-2017, 10:59 PM   #260
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
"Compactness and quickness are advantages of the APS-C format compared to full-frame. We feel that there is a need for an APS-C flagship model with these advantages.
Yes precisely one of the quotes I was referring to. I wonder if they were just being polite since they knew the interviewer wanted to hear that?
07-11-2017, 11:11 PM   #261
Pentaxian

Of course you can choose to ignore what they said, and speculate to the exact opposite.
07-11-2017, 11:32 PM   #262
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
also is there the possibility that the KP was in fact intended as the K-3 II successor
What if the KP is actually the KS3, but in naming it that, the confusion would have been,well astronomical!....the association with the successor to the K3mk111 had to be distinct.

We wont know for a while.

On the other hand, the numbers may be coming to an end....they started with K7(K9 was a dog and development abandoned)...we are up to K1,whats next?

07-12-2017, 12:31 AM - 1 Like   #263
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
On the other hand, the numbers may be coming to an end....they started with K7(K9 was a dog and development abandoned)...we are up to K1,whats next?
That's probably why the K-3II successor hasn't arrived yet. The camera is ready for launch, but they can't decide on a name for it.
07-12-2017, 01:06 AM   #264
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by deus ursus Quote
The camera is ready for launch, but they can't decide on a name for it.
HA HA, I doubt it.....but they couldn't put out a KS3 with all the speculation of the successor to the k3mkii....as it was, the confusion was pretty intense.

Some people were saying the K1 is the successor to the K3ii...but plenty wont buy it for differing reasons....APSc is good enough for some.

Ricohs secrecy about the K3(next) is at their discretion....other companies are making very good specd and performing crop sensored cams,frustration may rear its head.Who knows?
07-12-2017, 02:55 AM   #265
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

K-3 III could pop up tomorrow.. or a month from now.. or two months from now. sure absolutely.

But also is there the possibility that the KP was in fact intended as the K-3 II successor and the other references, that stated otherwise, were simply Pentax reps being polite about there not being a more similar K-3 III successor from the K-3 II ?
It does seem unlikely. I think if the KP was intended as a K3 II replacement, it would have had a faster frame rate and deeper buffer. It just seems clear that Pentax was leaving themselves a slot above the KP that still wouldn't have to be in D500 territory. Not that I would expect a sports camera here, but something with 8-ish fps and 25 frame RAW buffer would be the minimum I would think would be expected in a K3 II replacement.
07-12-2017, 03:03 AM   #266
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

my prediction: K3-II replacement announcement maybe Sept. 2017 for an April 2018 release
07-12-2017, 03:33 AM   #267
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by beachgardener Quote
my prediction: K3-II replacement announcement maybe Sept. 2017 for an April 2018 release
"is being researched" = AF is being researched, essentially. AF development is tricky. I wouldn't expect a K3 replacement before 2018, it would be in the same league as a 7DII or D500.
There is often only a short path between doing landscape photography (taking advantage of a full frame sensor) and wildlife photography in the same environment.
For owners of a Pentax K1 who also do wildlife photography , there is an interest to also own a fast aspc dslr , sharing the same lenses.
IMO, it is possible to see a new apsc body that would have the size of the K1 body (similar to the D500 body size) for housing a larger AF module. Could be designed like a K1, without the tilt screen and top wheels, but with the inner guts designed for speed: deep buffer and UHS II for speed without the cost of XQD.
07-12-2017, 04:34 AM   #268
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
it is possible to see a new apsc body that would have the size of the K1
I hope not, in fact I would prefer Pentax keep the small size ethics as much as they have for the likes of the K-3 models, for the replacement apsc flagship model.
07-12-2017, 05:28 AM - 1 Like   #269
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
I wonder if they were just being polite since they knew the interviewer wanted to hear that?
"We feel that there is a need" isn't one of the phrases they use when they are politely saying no. The difference is subtle, but significant. "That's a nice idea" is the sort of thing they used to say when asked about "un-crippling" the K-mount (and nowadays, they say "no", which means "oh Hell no, stop asking!"). That said, I think it is possible that they were undecided whether the K-1 and KP would cover the needs for a K-mount "flagship" until they actually launched the KP and got feedback from the home market.
07-12-2017, 06:18 AM   #270
Pentaxian

I don't think it's such a subtle difference.

About the aperture coupler, they said "I think it's important but it's difficult because of the limited space.". "I think it's important" - they can't possibly disagree with you, right? followed by a typical roundabout refusal: "it's difficult". On an earlier occasion they said "we are not prioritizing to reintroduce this function". Never "we're working on it"
OTOH, "is being researched" means they're doing something about it, now. They can't backpedal from this kind of statement without losing face, I'd guess. Sure, it's not as strong as "it's close to commercialization" - but this is likely because the project wasn't very advanced back in February.
Closed Thread