Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-14-2017, 03:51 PM   #361
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
With all due respect, Kunzite: who entrusted you with the power to decide which analogies are valid/relevant and which ones are invalid/irrelevant?
I'm not deciding, I'm observing. I mean no disrespect, but analogies - more often than not - don't work.
Argument from analogy - Wikipedia

As for how I (or rather we, the humans) got the capability of observe such things, that makes for a complicated, disputed and very much off-topic discussion

07-14-2017, 03:52 PM   #362
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
I don't see the connection to you dreaming up some incredibly far fetched story of marrying a movie star, winning the lottery, and so on.
Well, I didn't even get to Mexico BUT,i did get the K-!
07-14-2017, 04:03 PM   #363
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
Well, I didn't even get to Mexico BUT,i did get the K-!
The "K-!" you say? Is that what they are calling the K-3 II replacement?
07-14-2017, 04:21 PM   #364
Pentaxian

You read it here FIRST!

07-14-2017, 04:25 PM   #365
mee
Veteran Member

You read it here FIRST!
07-14-2017, 04:27 PM   #366
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
I'm not deciding, I'm observing. I mean no disrespect, but analogies - more often than not - don't work.
Argument from analogy - Wikipedia

What is the difference between a decision and what you are calling an observation?

Also why don't the analogies work? You made a blanket statement about them all not working, but why not?
07-14-2017, 04:32 PM   #367

Photos: Albums
still waiting for feedback on fixed verses variable lenses , any information will be helpful. which is really better ?

07-14-2017, 04:42 PM   #368
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by elf photo Quote
still waiting for feedback on fixed verses variable lenses , any information will be helpful. which is really better ?
Hmm high level view..

Fixed (called "Prime") lenses generally have less optical flaws and thus provide better image quality. This is due to the less complicated formulas (number of elements used internally in the camera lens) versus those used with zoom lenses.

That's the common name for variable focal length lenses... zoom lenses. Those of course give the photographer a range of focal lengths from which to chose, but then potentially suffer from more optical flaws (Distortion, Chromatic Aberration, softness) than primes.

These days zoom lenses can be very nice yet if you still want the absolute best image quality, primes are generally the way to go.

It is up to you what you use though.. I prefer the utility of zoom lenses over any potential flaws (most of which are correctable in camera or on the computer). Others prefer the sheer quality of a prime.

I didn't mention size, weight, aperture speed, or price yet those are all factors too.
07-14-2017, 04:52 PM   #369
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mille19 Quote
I hope the new designation is S for sport/speed :-)
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I think the sequel will probably be named K-02...
My guess:
FF sensor bodies are K-series
APSc sensor bodies will be a new design, newly labeled M-series.
07-14-2017, 05:05 PM   #370
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by elf photo Quote
Both are good, but depends what an individual prefers.

As an example,if you buy a K-1,the first lense to buy(for its versatility and quality)is the *70/200.Then fill in the wider FLs with primes.If you need more reach a TC.If you need even more reach then the 150/450.

Just my opinion, i'm sure some will disagree.
07-14-2017, 05:24 PM   #371
Banned

Both are good, but depends what an individual prefers.
As an example,if you buy a K-1,the first lense to buy(for its versatility and quality)is the *70/200.Then fill in the wider FLs with primes.If you need more reach a TC.If you need even more reach then the 150/450.
Just my opinion, i'm sure some will disagree.
Actually, to experience best from the K-1, and not second-best, premium DFA*35mm or DFA*50mm are needed. Under all circumstances of classic photography, those lenses would deliver better and less compromised image quality than any zoom, quality which human eye can immediately recognise.

But thanks to high level of entropy in the system, caused by random wishes of uninformed and less skilled users and not carefully delineated plan, more experienced users still cannot enjoy best possible optical quality delivered with K-1. Only good-enough quality, and chances are that even 3 years after the launch of the camera, there will be no lens that can show its capability.

Users don't know yet what are real capabilities of the K-1 camera.

Last edited by Uluru; 07-14-2017 at 05:29 PM.
07-14-2017, 05:37 PM   #372
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
Only good-enough quality,
Yes, not so sure about the 3 years you mention....Do you actually think the 35/50/85 wont be here till April 2019?
07-14-2017, 05:56 PM   #373
Banned

Yes, not so sure about the 3 years you mention....Do you actually think the 35/50/85 wont be here till April 2019?
I think many would be happy to heave at least 50mm by the mid-2018 on their cameras. But it only shows the problem I was writing above — highest entropy of any system out there.
07-15-2017, 12:12 AM   #374
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
In the '50s you could have said the same of rangefinder cameras versus SLR cameras: a rangefinder camera can operate in SLR mode (Visoflex), but a SLR camera can't operate in rangefinder mode.

We all know the outcome of the story.
Yes, we all know how Leica as an other "niche player", has made rangefinder his own success for at least 50 following years.
07-15-2017, 12:18 AM   #375
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Then, what are those "DSLRs are dying, MILCs are the future" folks are doing?
He's right - there is no "hype train", simply the statement of very clear tendancies in the industry and amongst users. Mirrorless technology has massive benefits which will, as the technology advances, make OVFs and SLRs seem redundant. DSLRs maintain their lead by their advantage of having had more time to develop their technology and by CaNikon having most people, who don't look into it themselves, convinced that the only way to get serious performance and IQ is to buy a DSLR. That is the only thing that could accurately be described as a "hype train" in the modern camera industry.

When I bought my K200D I could see that it was clearly better than the competition, and the same goes for my K3 when I upgraded. Now that the market has advanced it is becoming ever more clear that mirrorless cameras will soon be better than the competition. They would be already were it not for the fact that Sony's incompetence is restraining their FF mirrorless cameras and the smaller sensor players (Fuji, Oly, Panasonic etc) are over-charging for theirs (presumably because they know they're better than equivalent DSLRs, but still...).

I love my K3 & limited lenses, but there's no way I'd buy into a DSLR system if I were starting from scratch now. All the DSLR players survive because people are invested in their systems, not because their systems are intrinsically better. As new photographers come along I believe that good sense will eventually prevail over what the CaNikon reps shove down people's throats and mirrorless will grow until SLRs are virtually gone.
Closed Thread