Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-20-2017, 08:58 AM   #511
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I guess I haven't had any issues, but I can understand if people prefer an EVF. I recently used my brother-in-law's Olympus PEN F to take some photos of him and his family. It was fairly bright and I just found the EVF to freeze when I was taking pictures and not to look anything like the scene in front of me. It was, frankly, disconcerting and I felt like it made it more difficult for me to frame what was going on. I didn't mess with it and it is possible that there are ways to tune the EVF to look/act a little more like an OVF would, but as it was I would struggle using it.

I have said before, but the whole WYSIWYG idea of the EVF is only true if you aren't someone who does much post processing. I typically shoot under exposed by a stop or a little more to save highlights and then adjust levels, etc in post. I know when looking at scene through an OVF how much dynamic range I am dealing with (roughly) and if it is at the point that I will need to bracket in order to get the image I want. An EVF flattens the scene, as it has significantly lower dynamic range than the sensor is capable of producing, and actually limits my ability to predict what I will need to do.

In the end, I think we will all just deal with what the market gives us, but I do think certain styles of shooting lend themselves better to one type viewfinder or the other. I don't shoot much in dark museums so, that really hasn't been an issue for me.
Your are correct; PP is not my thing.

Apart from that, I do most evaluation before I ever put the camera to my eye; I have already thought about DR and related subjects and selected framing points {what I want to define my frame}. For me, the important role of the viewfinder is allowing me to identify the framing points ... and with the Hoodman, even the LCD on my Q-7 is adequate for that.

07-20-2017, 09:58 AM - 3 Likes   #512
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
OK ... I'm not trying to start or continue a fight. I'm not advocating for anything. I simply feel I should expand on my comment previously

Currently I am using a K-30 which I purchased 26 months ago. Regardless of whether my K-30 comes down with the aperture ailment, I will be trying to fit a K-70 into our budget, primarily for the improved ISO performance. Looking back over the past few years, I have taken a lot of pictures in darkish conditions, such as in back corners of museums. Even if the K-70 gives me much better performance there, I will still have the framing problems I have today, even today I take pictures I cannot see through my OVF; I don't lug a tripod around with me, so I have to frame these pictures holding the camera out zombie-style so I can use LV to frame the picture. For that use in particular, my personal opinion is that a K-07 {K-70 mechanism in a K-01 body} would be vastly superior to anything else available to me.

And, yes, I could use the Hoodman from my Q-7 kit, but I would still be holding the K-70 in an awkward position.

And, yes, I could use the Q-7, but high ISO is definitely not its area of strength.
When using Live View I hold my elbows against my body, left palm under the camera, thumb and fingers gripping the lens from underneath and right hand on the grip as usual. This brings the camera to chin level about 8" away from my face. Looking slightly down, I have no trouble framing AND I MAINTAIN A STABLE PLATFORM!!!

Break the PnS arms-length habit. TRY MY METHOD!

Last edited by monochrome; 07-20-2017 at 10:06 AM.
07-20-2017, 10:40 AM   #513
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
When using Live View I hold my elbows against my body, left palm under the camera, thumb and fingers gripping the lens from underneath and right hand on the grip as usual. This brings the camera to chin level about 8" away from my face. Looking slightly down, I have no trouble framing AND I MAINTAIN A STABLE PLATFORM!!!

Sounds interesting, I will!
07-20-2017, 11:02 AM   #514
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bobbotron Quote
Sounds interesting, I will!
Doing that with K-01 for years. KP is great (K-1 is a bit heavy with a big lens so I use a monopod).

07-20-2017, 11:03 PM   #515

Photos: Albums
monochrome that is the way I was tought to hold a camera
07-22-2017, 06:14 PM   #516
Pentaxian

The methods I developed 60 years ago when I was given my first camera are fine-tuned for a viewfinder, but translate very poorly to LV. At age 69, I think I'll just stick to cameras with viewfinders {says he who forgot to put his K-30 in his camera bag last night, so spent all day today on an outing with only his Q-7.

added: It's partly an eye-sight issue; I can see fine through a viewfinder, but without the Hoodman I have trouble finding a comfortable way to focus on an LCD screen. I'm OK with Hoodman; the collapsible one is part of my Q-7 kit, but I would need a serious reason to get another camera needing that tool - which is why I got the K-30 instead of a K-01

Last edited by reh321; 07-22-2017 at 06:27 PM.
07-23-2017, 12:45 AM - 1 Like   #517

thank you reh321, I read all my post responses , I thank all for the feedback , I was having eye trouble also ('m 74) had my eyes operated on and now no trouble seeing. 4 operations and I see better than when I was younger, it was well worth it. I only say that because I fought operation for years . any way
taking many pictures and enjoying it.

07-28-2017, 08:08 AM   #518
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Absolutely, I add one thing learned from Olympic ISU shooting. Exhale, then fire, helps even more with an "elbows tucked" stance...
07-28-2017, 09:59 AM   #519

thanks GlassJunkie I appreciate all the input from my fellow photographers .
07-28-2017, 06:22 PM   #520
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by GlassJunkie Quote
Absolutely, I add one thing learned from Olympic ISU shooting. Exhale, then fire, helps even more with an "elbows tucked" stance...
That was exactly my original point; I have found that camera resting against eye-socket, like elbows tucked, like breath control, like a relaxed grip, provides the most stability I can achieve - and that, for me, is possible only with a viewfinder. To get benefit from modern electronics, that means some kind of EVF; LV alone cannot provide it {and my Q-7 experience teaches me that Hoodmans are awkward},
07-28-2017, 07:46 PM   #521
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
That was exactly my original point; I have found that camera resting against eye-socket, like elbows tucked, like breath control, like a relaxed grip, provides the most stability I can achieve - and that, for me, is possible only with a viewfinder. To get benefit from modern electronics, that means some kind of EVF; LV alone cannot provide it {and my Q-7 experience teaches me that Hoodmans are awkward},
The third bracing point - eyebrow and cheekbone - surely helps. My point was, with practice and a close-hold posture I can do very well using liveview, especially with the body form of K-01 rather than a deep-gripped traditional dSLR body.
07-29-2017, 01:26 PM   #522

thanks for the good tips !
07-30-2017, 11:14 AM   #523
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Very long period of update...Will we see K-3's upgrade this year?
You seem to have a K5IIs and not shooting sports. The Pentax KP would be a logical upgrade for you.
07-30-2017, 04:12 PM - 2 Likes   #524
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by HillCountryRick Quote
New member here and apologies in advance if I'm posting in the wrong place. After many decades being too busy to seriously pursue my photo / art passions, finally have the time and desire to dive back in head first. I've spent the last month or so reading tons to catch up on the current state of equipment before opening up the checkbook big time, (well big time for me anyway). Top of my camera 'got to have' list is the K-1, deciding to shun the CanoNikon path, scared to death of terrible Sony service reports and as much as I like Olympus and the m43 equipment, the megapixels just aren't there for me yet. The K-1 wins the spec /price battle for me, but before I dive in, the release timelines indicate to me that a K-1 level II should be in the works before too long (<6 mo's?). Or maybe I'm laughably delusional on the current state of affairs at Ricoh/Pentax?

The status of the K-3 II being slowly moved to the 'has been' pile, with no official info forthcoming on the replacement for over 6 months now, has me pretty concerned that maybe Ricoh is backing away from the serious DSLR market in general, throwing all my equipment research back into a tizzy. Are there any book makers offering odds on Ricoh/Pentax survival / commitment over the next 4 - 5 years at least? What do ya'll think?
Don't overthink the camera body purchase. There will always be something "better" on the horizon. The sweet spot (cost/performance) might be 1 year after launch? Some people here will know best I'm sure. Invest in high-quality lenses for the long haul. They're timeless.

07-30-2017, 06:06 PM   #525
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by drumhead Quote
Don't overthink the camera body purchase. There will always be something "better" on the horizon. The sweet spot (cost/performance) might be 1 year after launch? Some people here will know best I'm sure. Invest in high-quality lenses for the long haul. They're timeless.
OTOH Canon's low DR makes it more of a chore for landscape work. Sure you can and I've seen many do great work with a Canon body in the field. But no one is choosing 11 EV over 14. So I'd say pick your camera body based on it's strengths.. where they match your own desires photographically.
Closed Thread