Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-31-2017, 08:54 PM   #541
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I could do a mock-up image of the rumored K-3II replacement. What shall we call it? KWP?

Steve
KeWPie?

07-31-2017, 09:00 PM   #542
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
KeWPie?
Kw*p Ummmmm...yes, KeWPie

Steve
08-01-2017, 04:02 AM   #543

Photos: Albums
OK all these numbers running around, recently I bought a K3 II, I am happy with the camera, but would like to know what you-all think of the k3 II, I'm wondering if it is bottom line or middle line or close to the top. It does everything I needed . Just curious about other people thoughts.
08-01-2017, 04:49 AM - 1 Like   #544
Pentaxian

It's an older generation APS-C flagship. If you're happy with it - that's all that matters.

08-01-2017, 06:50 AM   #545
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
KeWPie?
Or maybe Kewpee? It would have a northwest Ohio tie in...

Kewpee - Wikipedia
08-01-2017, 07:17 AM   #546
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by elf photo Quote
OK all these numbers running around, recently I bought a K3 II, I am happy with the camera, but would like to know what you-all think of the k3 II, I'm wondering if it is bottom line or middle line or close to the top. It does everything I needed . Just curious about other people thoughts.
Like already stated, it's an older generation APS-C flagship, but it's still a mighty fine camera. If you're happy with what it does for you, start getting lenses.

A lot of us are waiting for its replacement with improved performance & features. Whether it's coming later this year or next year is still uncertain or even if anything is going to be released at all. One thing is for sure, if it does come out, it's definitely going to cost way more than the current K-3II.
08-01-2017, 07:57 AM - 2 Likes   #547
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It's a really fine camera, don't get too worried about numbers. I have the K3, it's a beaut.

08-01-2017, 08:07 AM   #548
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I'm wondering if it is bottom line or middle line or close to the top. It does everything I needed . Just curious about other people thoughts.
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
It's an older generation APS-C flagship. If you're happy with it - that's all that matters.
Yes...if the K-3II meets your needs and is likely to continue doing so, that is all that matters.

"Older Generation" merely means that some users feel that a replacement model is due, hence the purpose of this rumor thread. The K-3 series was state of the art in Fall of 2013 and while the state of the art has not changed much in the last four years, there are those who would like to buy a flagship model without fear of it being superseded a few months afterwards.

For reference, last year Nikon launched the D500 to replace the D300 (2009) as flagship for that brand, taking seven years to do so. Over in Canon country, the Canon 7DII (2014) replaced the 2009 7D after five years. Yes, the Canon flagship is longer in the tooth than the K-3II. I suppose anxiety is building over on the various Canon forums regarding a model to match the D500. Some have likely noted that the 7DII is out of stock at B&H (it is) and that it lacks several features of the more recent 80D (2016) and lags in value as a result. Here on the Pentax forums, some will note what the Canon people are seeing and feel that it is expedient that Pentax have something to compete with both the D500 and the new Canon (8D?) or risk utter destruction.

Steve
08-01-2017, 08:13 AM   #549
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote

Kewpee - Wikipedia
I want mine with cheese and extra sauce please.

Steve
08-01-2017, 08:35 AM - 1 Like   #550
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes...if the K-3II meets your needs and is likely to continue doing so, that is all that matters.

"Older Generation" merely means that some users feel that a replacement model is due, hence the purpose of this rumor thread. The K-3 series was state of the art in Fall of 2013 and while the state of the art has not changed much in the last four years, there are those who would like to buy a flagship model without fear of it being superseded a few months afterwards.

For reference, last year Nikon launched the D500 to replace the D300 (2009) as flagship for that brand, taking seven years to do so. Over in Canon country, the Canon 7DII (2014) replaced the 2009 7D after five years. Yes, the Canon flagship is longer in the tooth than the K-3II. I suppose anxiety is building over on the various Canon forums regarding a model to match the D500. Some have likely noted that the 7DII is out of stock at B&H (it is) and that it lacks several features of the more recent 80D (2016) and lags in value as a result. Here on the Pentax forums, some will note what the Canon people are seeing and feel that it is expedient that Pentax have something to compete with both the D500 and the new Canon (8D?) or risk utter destruction.

Steve
You know, I don't think it is particularly in Pentax's interest to have a camera that matches the D500 or 8D. I think most folks would prefer something that is more along the lines of a D7200. A K3 II with better video, slightly faster frame rate (maybe 9 fps), better dynamic range and high iso performance, better auto focus performance, and a buffer of 35 or 40 RAW images would probably be adequate. No need to go all sports shooter here -- particularly since I don't thing the lenses are there to support it.

If you have specs somewhere between the D7200 and D500 and have a price of 1200, that might be a sweet spot.
08-01-2017, 08:42 AM   #551
Veteran Member

Its a very good camera for the money. I don't think you can find a better camera for the money if you need professional level build quality.
08-01-2017, 09:03 AM   #552
Pentaxian

Steve
Interesting comment. My guess is that engineers at Ricoh/Pentax are probably diligently working on getting a competitive AF system going. If the next flagship can have similar AF performance of the Canon 7D Mark II, I'd be be thrilled. If it can track as good as the D500, I'll explode! Hahaha! I would actually be happy with something that can at least meet or exceed the tracking capabilities of the D7200/D7500 for now plus be able to focus in even darker conditions than the current -3EV limitation. That would be good enough for me, but I'd welcome a 7DII & D500 competitor too.

Who knows what they are crafting up for now. It could be that the K-70 would be a "beginner" camera, the KP will be positioned along the Canon 80D & Nikon D7500, the K-1 will be the ultimate IQ DSLR camera, & the upcoming APS-C flagship will be a speed demon. Rondec's idea is more along what I think Pentax will do, though.
08-01-2017, 02:50 PM   #553
Pentaxian

(SR3) First rumors about a new Sony A77III A-mount camera (Same A6500 sensor and 4K) - sonyalpharumors sonyalpharumors

^ Just a rumor so far, but it looks like even Sony is going to make a new A-mount attempt at the higher end APS-C DSLR/DSLT level. I do wonder if they'll be aiming at the Nikon D7500 & Canon 80D segment or if they're going to try for the Nikon D500 & Canon 7D Mark II segment. More competition equals better cameras for us.
08-01-2017, 06:17 PM   #554
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
When using Live View I hold my elbows against my body, left palm under the camera, thumb and fingers gripping the lens from underneath and right hand on the grip as usual. This brings the camera to chin level about 8" away from my face. Looking slightly down, I have no trouble framing AND I MAINTAIN A STABLE PLATFORM!!!

Break the PnS arms-length habit. TRY MY METHOD!
The Monochrome Method®.
08-01-2017, 06:22 PM   #555
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote

Kewpee - Wikipedia
I've had Kewpee burger.

With the "Hamburger pickle on top, makes your heart go flippity-flop!"

Tasty!
Closed Thread